Transition to GA Law Enforcement - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wondering !

Let me know if you here or do anything different with GA POST Academy.. also any problems applying at agencies.. Thanks.. I was told they put you in class with recruits to complete your 200 hrs.. at different stages for high liability issues.

Hello Folks,

Just wondering, how long does it take to achieve top out pay at DCPD? Thanks.

Re: Transition to GA Law Enforcement

Do yourself a big favor and stay in Fla. (I am a prior Fla Leo and a current Ga Leo) Georgia Law Enforcement is pathetic in a whole... The front line Officers and Deputies are fantastic just like in anywhere else and are just trying to make it... However they are rewarded with terrible pay / benefits, poor leadership and a dying moral... They have no Union or collective bargaining agreement and basically have no right to speak up for themselves w/o fear of retaliation... The training is ok but could be better... The crossover or lateral academy is a joke and the Gov. doesn't care about its officers. Its just one BIG OLD FAT Good Ole Boy system.. (Emphasis on FAT)!!! I wish we as LEO's would stand up for our rights like our neighbors in Fla and stop being abused... We are professionals that risk our lives and get treated like (hamburger flippers). This State could be so much better if we were unionized but we need to join together and fight these "Praise be Jesus" fake "I pray for you via email, then stab you in the back, politicians"...
    This State needs a face lift and have stricter standards put in place, unfortunately it wont happen over night... If you have any year vested in Fla. retire there and then come up and watch the circus act, especially in the rural areas...

Let me also say there are very many great Leo's in this state, and not all agencies are bad. stick to the Metro Atl area, but dont go to Atl.. (If you must come to Ga. The city P.D.s are the lesser of two evils)..

Re: Transition to GA Law Enforcement

Do yourself a BIG favor and stay in FL. I am retired from FL and work as a LEO here and the system in GA is definitely different (backwards, behind the times). It does not matter what type or how much experience you have. They don't care and the attitude up here is "you're in Georgia now" There is no crossover for certified officers from other states and you will have to go through a minimum of 200 hours at a regional academy with raw recruits with no experience who do 400 plus hours. You are treated like a rookie and the mandated course of instruction for certified officers is spread out over 10 weeks, but you may only attend 1 or 2 days a week while the inexperienced people attend 5 days a week for 10 weeks. It definitely is a "good ol boy" system and not much brotherhood among LEO's up here. Plus the money sucks and there is no collective bargaining and very little officer rights. You would be crazy to leave if you already have 8 years in if you have some sort of pension and are close to being vested. If you have a pension and could retire, then it is not that bad. Good luck brother!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12