Layoffs - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Layoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Ok Guest, I will bite.

Tell me how a department does a mandatory budget cut exercise of 10% and does not propose position cuts? Isn't that the point? I don't think it is a mindset- it's what was required.

This whole discussion is illogical- Let's see:

Governor and Legislature mandate agencies make budget cuts
    They tell agencies how much and where to cut per division
    Agencies make proposed cuts as required

Agency is criticized for making proposed cuts.

Exactly what makes sense about that statement?

Now, if they don't add positions or ask for raises in next year's budget request- Your point will be well taken.
    Im not referring to the the DHSMV. I am blaming the State of Florida.

Not EVERY company/agency/department is required to perform budget cut excercises, especially ones in such trouble as ours. It is not a required part of business in general.

They have NOT added positions. FHP manpower is down considerably from just a couple years ago. Do you see them mandating excercises to research what it would take to increase salaries by 10%??!?! Heck no! The state government has never "asked" for salary increases. Our people have been the ones asking and the government has been the one denying it.

And by the way smarty. This 10% cut in the DHSMV is not just an excercise. It is for real as I heard it from the boss herself. Cutting trooper positions is at the bottom, but they are for sure laying off other civilians jobs and closing many offices.

Today we were told by the Major to grab up some uniforms while we can because in the coming months the budget will become so tight that obtaining equipment, such as uniforms, will be quite difficult.

It is one thing to have so many problems with an agency, but it is another thing when they say working 8 crashes and writing 15 tickets a week isnt good enough. They refuse to give but continue to want from us.

What kind of agency is this?!?! Things are getting worse and worse.

Everything I have heard and read says agencies are looking at a 4-5% cut -- the 10% was for contingency. That's was said right in her email- "we were asked for 10% but we are hopeful that it will be much less than that".

On the other- yes- ever since Jeb was in office he was cutting positions. In fact he stated he wanted "empty" state buildings cutting the workforce by 25%. They cut agencies after People First went into effect and remember what a joke that was. More work, less people. Thats been the way of the world in government and it stinks.

On the positions-- Since the budget request is not in and this is the first one under her- I dont think you can say with certainty they are not adding positions. Didnt we ask for 60 last year and it did not get funded? And what about the year before... think we asked for some that didnt get funded? Its the legislature that needs to step up to the plate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12