Elected Sheriff

Thread: Elected Sheriff

Elected Sheriff

Fellow Law Enforcement Officers, recently the Miami-Dade County Board of County Commissioners, empaneled a Charter Review Task Force Committee and charged it with the mission of examining the advantages or not, of resurrecting the elected sheriff, as well as other Florida Constitutional Officers, i.e., Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser and Supervisor of Elections. As it pertains to the elected sheriff, your views on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Re: Elected Sheriff

Quote Originally Posted by RETIRED MDPD
    Fellow Law Enforcement Officers, recently the Miami-Dade County Board of County Commissioners, empaneled a Charter Review Task Force Committee and charged it with the mission of examining the advantages or not, of resurrecting the elected sheriff, as well as other Florida Constitutional Officers, i.e., Tax Assessor, Property Appraiser and Supervisor of Elections. As it pertains to the elected sheriff, your views on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    It's nice to have a person with more power than the commissioners as long as the power doesn't go to their head. Not to mention, you as a voter have to opportunity to have a say in who gets elected. The down side is, like here in Palm Beach, we have a great Sheriff who fights very hard for his Deputies. We already have to idiots running against him, one who almost got 3 Leos killed and another who was hardly a Leo. Our Sheriff why he is loved by us, the citizens don't like the fact he said if he doesn't get the money he needs he'll go to the Governor. That's a great power to have especially know Gov Crist said no police and fire will be cut. To put the fait of a police/sheriff department in the hands of these corrupt city/county officials makes me wonder. Now if you look at Broward, here's an example of a Sheriff who was never a Leo and had made BSO the joke of Broward County. Both have there pros and cons, I like not having to bend over backward for the city working for the Sheriff because the city has no control to push the Sheriff around. When I worked for a city PD I was told where to go, who I could and could not arrest and that was wrong. Working for the Sheriff is great, but election years to become political. My honest opinion, there should be one police force county wide whether it's run by and elected official, or an appointed one. Stay safe.

Re: Elected Sheriff

[quote=Justice for All]
    Quote Originally Posted by "RETIRED MDPD":1durnmhz

Thank you,
    It's nice to have a person with more power than the commissioners as long as the power doesn't go to their head. Not to mention, you as a voter have to opportunity to have a say in who gets elected. The down side is, like here in Palm Beach, we have a great Sheriff who fights very hard for his Deputies. We already have to idiots running against him, one who almost got 3 Leos killed and another who was hardly a Leo. Our Sheriff why he is loved by us, the citizens don't like the fact he said if he doesn't get the money he needs he'll go to the Governor. That's a great power to have especially know Gov Crist said no police and fire will be cut. To put the fait of a police/sheriff department in the hands of these corrupt city/county officials makes me wonder. Now if you look at Broward, here's an example of a Sheriff who was never a Leo and had made BSO the joke of Broward County. Both have there pros and cons, I like not having to bend over backward for the city working for the Sheriff because the city has no control to push the Sheriff around. When I worked for a city PD I was told where to go, who I could and could not arrest and that was wrong. Working for the Sheriff is great, but election years to become political. My honest opinion, there should be one police force county wide whether it's run by and elected official, or an appointed one. Stay safe.[/quote:1durnmhz]

JUSTICE FOR ALL: THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE!