Take Home Cars and Retirement - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: thinking of leaving

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by Fla deputy
    I work in Sarasota. the area is nice. but it is crazy expensive to live here. fairfax is also. the take home car is nice, but i would rather have the extra money. I hardly drive the patrol car off duty. im sick and tired of stopping for idiots on the side of the road that ran out of gas or whatever. i would off left sarasota sooner but im almost vested so i thought i would just tough it out for another year here
    I like where I work, the agency is great. I work for PBSO and we make great money. The commardrie is gone down here. The people in South Florida make it hard to want to continue living here. I love the take home car becuase I save a lot of money with not having to have two cars for me and my wife. I hope they change the policy soon and I will be north bound. Fairfax is a great agency. Be safe and take care.
    I work in Charlotte and tried out for Fairfax. They do not offer take home cars unless you are a capt, detective or above. They hot seat the cars and swap out the fleet every 6 months. They buy 2 fleets this way they can do it. You are right about the money, it is mad money up there. More details than you can work and they are always looking on the MDT for people to work off duty or ot. My cousin works up there and has for the last 12 years. Makes over 100,000 every year, but does not see his family often. They have a inhouse doctor for you and the family that you see for minor things at no cost. If you have something major, they farm it out also. It is a nice department and the people are wonderful.
    Thank you for the information. Do you think they will ever go to take home cars? Buying a fleet every 6 months probably cost more than giving take homes. How do you like Charlotte?
    I too would leave Florida tomorrow if Fairfax offered a take home car. I wish more people would post on here.

Here are some answers for you. I am an 8 yr vet of FCPD and I do recommend the department but we could probably use a union. There are some issues like the take home car thing. The current chief has been cracking down on the number of take homes because large amount of the officers live outside the county. The housing costs up here are horrible and I don't recommend moving here unless you have a two income family. The basic retirement is good but you have to pay 11% into it a pay period. The reason why no one for the dept post on LEOAFFAIRS is because no one knows about it up here. I only know about it because I was recently processing in Tampa. Any other questions, let me know...oh BTW, we just recently started a lateral program too

Quote Originally Posted by some answers
    Here are some answers for you. I am an 8 yr vet of FCPD and I do recommend the department but we could probably use a union. There are some issues like the take home car thing. The current chief has been cracking down on the number of take homes because large amount of the officers live outside the county. The housing costs up here are horrible and I don't recommend moving here unless you have a two income family. The basic retirement is good but you have to pay 11% into it a pay period. The reason why no one for the dept post on LEOAFFAIRS is because no one knows about it up here. I only know about it because I was recently processing in Tampa. Any other questions, let me know...oh BTW, we just recently started a lateral program too
    Thank you so much for the information. I'm sure I will have more questions in the future. I will be up there in two weeks for a ride along. Stay safe and we'll talk soon

Re: Take Home Cars and Retirement

I know its an old post, but did your agency ever get a union established and do you have take home cars?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12