UN Jobs, a scam or a fair go?

UN Jobs, a scam or a fair go?

I need some solid advice about UN Peacekeeping/Security positions. Here are some of my experiences with the “process”-

Round 1
    My first “adventure’ was when I applied for a position as a security officer at the ICTY at The Hague. The duties are primarily corrections and court security. I learned about this about the position a year ago from an IPA member. The position was not specifically posted on the UN “galaxy” HR site, but it was posted on the ICTY site. (see http://www.un.org/icty/pratical-e/index.htm ) I did a PHP and sent it to a friend of mine who works at the UN in Vienna. He sent it directly to ICTY personnel and security. Some months pass and I hear nothing. So I called the Capt. of the Guard at the ICTY (he sounded like an American) and got the low down. I was told the ICTY commission hand picks persons. I got the strong impression that international political connections are more important that experience and training. (I speak a little BSC) I was also told they don’t hire anyone over 30 yoa for the security positions! (I’m 40ish) This is a direct violation of UN policy. Some time later I was at an alumni function in NYC for my university and I met one of the permanent reps for the country I am a citizen of (I’m a dual national). I explained my “experience” with the rep and she said send her everything and she will look into it. So I did this and guess what, The Hague LOST my PHP! No record of it anywhere! The rep said I should apply for the job through Galaxy but I can’t because the Hague job isn’t listed. So I gave up on this position for now. The ICC will be expanding in the near future because of the Dafur and other African dictators being brought before the ICC (I hope!)

Round 2-
    I decided to play the game the right way. I applied on Galaxy for every FS and P level security/investigator I qualified for.. (see- https://jobs.un.org/Galaxy/Release3/vac ... 200&OCCG=1) Almost all the positions are with the DPKO (peacekeeping) and most of the positions are in the “garden spots” of Africa. (Running water is a luxury). I am more that willing to posted to a dung hole.. I was told by the UN rep that there is no “backdoor” to apply for positions and everyone must go through Galaxy. I applied months ago. I did some research and a friend of mine who is a retired NYPD Captain who speaks 5 languages, has a Masters degree and more UN and international contacts than Ban Ki-moon. He has applied for several positions security/investigations positions over the years and heard nothing. They didn’t even acknowledge he applied! He told me it is all politics and based on quotas that favor third world countries.

Contract Peacekeeping positions:
    The previous post about Dynacorp is on target. I did some research on the web and found that Dynacorp has some “unusual” hiring practices. Some the stories I heard:
    bait and switch on the pay
    posting (particularly in Afghanistan) where you are lucky to be issued a tent
    jumping though all the hoops at the Virginia testing site, being told you are leaving now, and then being pulled of the bus going to the airport or worse yet, out of country after you left you job!

And Halliburton has ties to Dynacorp!

I know of one person Dynacorp was sent to Iraq to train Iraqi nationals and did nothing during his posting but hang out in the Green Zone! I too have heard that PAE and CPI are good companies to work for. I am hesistant on applying to any contractor. I do not want to waste my time jumping through all the hoops and the end get screwed and waste my time.

So what’s the trick to getting a high paying UN contractor and in-house jobs? Is it one vast “old boy” network where retired brass who can’t survive on their huge retirement pensions and those "in the know" get the jobs, or is the process a cluster copulation where only the lucky or dumb get hired? Why does the UN have in-house peacekeeping positions that appear to be the same jobs that the contract peacekeeping positions are?

UN jobs

Sounds to me like you already know the answer. When I went on my first mission, our contingent CO told us that we should think of the most corrupt, inept, dysfunctional police dept that we knew of. He said after we were in mission for awhile, that Dept would look like a well oiled machine compared to the UN.

UN Missions

I have to agree with the above poster. The UN was about the most dysfunctional organization I've ever worked for in close to 20 years in law enforcement. It did make me appreciate my parent agency. I have to say that my experience (with Dyncorp) was pretty good all in all. It was several years ago so I have no current information and maybe things are different now. The whole key with any of the contractors (so it seems) is to get your foot in the door. Once there, they will generally keep calling you for missions. I know that Dyncorp lost the Kosovo contract after I left in 2000. A friend worked under both Dyn and MPRI in Kosovo and had good things to say about MPRI but apparently Dyn did not impress him. Seems that everyones experience is a little different

Xchi mi ha pregatonn sono cos?? scema .....FRANK...

Ho un problema: inavvertitamente devo aver cliccato "si"?volelo sapere se ?? meglio avast o norton
    Chat Sicilia

Allora rielencando per avere nuove risposte:-Ho le mani viol

qual' e' il migliore antivirus in circolazione?ho scaricato il file x l'italiano dal sito facendo salva pagina con nome,ma quando vado sul programma kompozer e faccio open file non mi viene presentato il file che ho salvato sul deskop
    Chat Molise