What is VSP position on retiree Concealed Carry??

What is VSP position on retiree Concealed Carry??

I am a twice-retired LEO, having retired both as a federal LEO and as a local LEO in Florida.

I recently did my annual firearms qualification for nationwide concealed carry of firearms under the federal law HR-218.

I also have a Florida CCW license and Florida has a reciprocity agreement with Virginia.

At the qualification briefing we were told that a call to VSP headquarters had revealed that VSP does not consider HR-218 sufficient and will arrest a retiree found to be carrying a concealed weapon under that law in Virginia.

When I pointed out that I also had a Florida CCW license which carried reciprocity with Virginia I was told not to count on that either.

What's the straight story here?

Is VSP arresting people who are carrying concealed weapons in Virginia under either of these programs?

What about some of the local jurisdictions in the Virginia counties nearest DC?

Your response will be appreciated.

Re: What is VSP position on retiree Concealed Carry??

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Double Dipper
    I am a twice-retired LEO, having retired both as a federal LEO and as a local LEO in Florida.

I recently did my annual firearms qualification for nationwide concealed carry of firearms under the federal law HR-218.

I also have a Florida CCW license and Florida has a reciprocity agreement with Virginia.

At the qualification briefing we were told that a call to VSP headquarters had revealed that VSP does not consider HR-218 sufficient and will arrest a retiree found to be carrying a concealed weapon under that law in Virginia.

When I pointed out that I also had a Florida CCW license which carried reciprocity with Virginia I was told not to count on that either.

Is VSP arresting people who are carrying concealed weapons in Virginia under either of these programs?

I'd go there armed and let them arrest me for CCF. That would be a great Title 42 lawsuit. BIG BUCKS BROTHER. Other issue - You probably won't beat the traffic ticket wrap cause they will right you for sure. Even if you are current law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Double Dipper

I had the same problem with a North Carolina Trooper. What some of these dumb cops don't know is HR-218 is a FEDERAL LAW signed into officer by President Bush. In Florida we were taught the supremacy clause, which means Federal Law supercedes state law when there is conflicting information. In my situation, it took a Deputy who has more power than a Trooper in North Carolina explain to the Trooper what HR-218 means. I'm still a certified law enforcement officer in Florida and carry my certification card on me. If I were you, I would go speak with the Sheriff of the county in VA since the Sheriff is still the Chief Law Enforcement Officer. If that doesn't work, go to the NRA and/or a Federal Agency and explain to them what's going on. I would carry anyway because you can. If they do arrest you, you'll own the Virginia State Police.

I think the problem is education. I'm retired, living in NC now from Virginia and have found, not only NC Trooper are not aware of the Federal Concealed Weapon permit, but even Sheriff's Department and local PD's. I spoke with the Sheriff in the county in NC that I live. They were not aware of the permit and Federal Law. They indicated that they would pass on the information to their units. I'm sure the Sheriff research it after making a copy of mine, but they indicated to me that it was legal and they will honor that permit.

Virginia issues those permits to their Retired Troopers and more and more of there units are becoming aware of the Federal Law. I really think it's an education thing more then anything else. I fully expect, once you show the permit with the picture attached (required) and showing that you are current in the re-training (also required), that they will send you on your way, if now, contact a supervisor and file a complaint. :cop: