Considering a relocation

Considering a relocation

My wife and I are consicering a relocation to South Carolina. Can anyone give me some information on what it would intail to get certified up there as a LEO. Also what Deptartments that I should look at applying to?

Re-locating to S.C.

I made the move from S. Fl to South Carolina and back. Let me preface by saying South Caroilina is beautiful and I wanted to raise my kids up there. Unfortunately I had trouble making the financial adjustment from S. Fl to the Upstate.

You would only have to do a three week legal course at the state academy to work in S.C. But something to think about is South Carolina is a right to work state. They can fire you for no reason what-so-ever. Also, we enjoy protection as far as benefits in Fl that most agencies in South Carolina do not. Depending on what agency you work for in Fl, if you are in the state pension, you will not get the same mulitplier or retirement in South Carolina you will get in Florida. There is also a state and city tax on top of FICA in South Caolrina.

What I tell my buddies who work in Florida is do your time and retire then move to South Carolina. If you wait to get your pension, you can live like a king. Do it before and you will probably find it extremly difficult to make ends meet or have to resort to a two income household.

I will also say the guys I worked with up there are really good guys and are great cops. My only hang-up was the financial end. If you want the four seasons and a bit slower pace (depending where you go in the South Carolina), you will definately enjoy it. But my recommendation would be to get your retirement from Florida first then make the move.

moving to greenville or easley

i have been a leo for 10 years and thinking of moving to the upstate area of s/c any help would be thank ful

It was my understanding that southern FL was very expenisve to live in as well? I was a leo in FL and I'm thinking of going back there or somewhere down south. Any solid agenices, preferably a county sheriff's office, that you can recommend I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Check out Manatee County SO just south of Tampa..Great Agency and pay

Quote Originally Posted by guest33
    It was my understanding that southern FL was very expenisve to live in as well? I was a leo in FL and I'm thinking of going back there or somewhere down south. Any solid agenices, preferably a county sheriff's office, that you can recommend I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    Check with Miami Gardens Police dept, good pay and incentives, lot of work thou!! Broward Co SO, good too!