12 hour shift - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 hour shift

If you didnt get your flex time, thats wrong, but dont blame yourself, it shoudnt have happened in that form anyway.I know that at some point it was "real" because i used it, and then I got paid without having to read the contract , i just took it....unless i was in fantasy land or was it the fantasy lounge...oh well its all gone soon anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    If you didnt get your flex time, thats wrong, but dont blame yourself, it shoudnt have happened in that form anyway.I know that at some point it was "real" because i used it, and then I got paid without having to read the contract , i just took it....unless i was in fantasy land or was it the fantasy lounge...oh well its all gone soon anyway
    SANTA WAS "REAL" WHEN WE WERE 5 AND NOW WE KNOW OUR FOLKS WERE THE ONES GIVING US FREE STUFF! TIME TO WAKE UP MY PEEPS SANTA IS DEAD!

12 HOUR SHIFTS

I KNOW I HAVENT WRITTEN ANYTHING ON HERE EVER AND NOW TODAY THIS IS MY THIRD COMMENT.... I HAVE A FEW THINGS TO SAY..

FROM SPEAKING WITH OTHERS, MOSTLY FROM CHARLIE SHIFT....I THINK WE WOULD ALL LOVE TO STAY ON THE TEN HOUR SHIFTS IF POSSIBLE. HOWEVER, IF THE TOWN SAYS NO, EITHER 8 OR 12 THEN I THINK MOST WOULD LIKE TO GO FOR THE TWELVE HOUR SHIFTS. LIKE I SAID, I DIDN'T SPEAK TO EVERYONE IN THE DEPARTMENT.

SECOND... EVERYONE IS GANGING UP ON ROSEN AND HIS PROPOSAL. IF WE DO GO TO THE 12 HOUR SHIFTS, HIS IS ONE TO LOOK AT ALONG WITH THE REST OF THEM. YOU CAN FIND THE SCHEDUALS ON LINE AND LOOK THEM UP, THERE ARE A BUNCH OF THEM. BUT TO MAKE FUN OF HIM OVER AND OVER AGAIN FOR TRYING TO FIGURE SOMETHING OUT "JUST IN CASE" IS UNCALLED FOR. I BELIEVE ROSEN WOULD RATHER STAY 4 10'S THEN THE 12 HOUR SHIFTS.

THIRD- ONE THING TO THINK ABOUT TO THE NEWER OFFICERS. I AM TALKING TO THE ONES HERE LESS THEN 3 YEARS. SOONER THEN YOU THINK, YOU WILL BE THE SENIOR OFFICERS IN THE DEPARTMENT. WHEN WE VOTE FOR DAYS OFF, IF YOU VOTE FOR ROTATING DAYS OFF, THEN SOON WHEN YOU ENTITLED FOR WEEKENDS OFF, YOUR SCREWING YOURSELF. THOSE OFFICERS 3-6 YEARS, YOUR ON THE BUBBLE, YOU WILL BE GETTING PARTS OF THE WEEKENDS OFF NOW. ALL OF THEM OFF SOON.
    OBVIOUSLY I WANT SET DAYS OFF. I THINK ITS THE BEST. IF YOU WANNA GO TO SCHOOL, COACH A SPORT FOR YOUR KIDS, PLAY SPORTS YOURSELF, THIS IS THE WAY TO GO. NO ROTATING DAYS OFF. I BUSTED MY ASS HERE FOR 14 YEARS AND FEEL THAT I AM ENTITLED TO WEEKENDS OFF, JUST LIKE YOU WILL BE WHEN YOU HERE OVER TEN YEARS.
    OH YEAH....MY SPELLING AND GRAMMAR STINKS..... I KNOW IT AND SO DOES MOST OF MY FRIENDS. SO PLEASE NO REMARKS ABOUT THEM. I DON'T CARE IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT....

WHY

WHY DO WE HAVE TO CHANGE? WE DIDNT STEAL MONEY OR BUY A PET PARK. IF WE DO THEN WHY NOT CHANGE ALLLL OF US . WE SHOULD CHANGE INCLUDING THE TOP DOWN!! THE ROAD ISNT THE ONLY ONES WHO HAVE TO CHANGE OUR LIVES FOR A RAISE FOR ALL

Re: 12 HOUR SHIFTS

Quote Originally Posted by SELTZER
    I KNOW I HAVENT WRITTEN ANYTHING ON HERE EVER AND NOW TODAY THIS IS MY THIRD COMMENT.... I HAVE A FEW THINGS TO SAY..

FROM SPEAKING WITH OTHERS, MOSTLY FROM CHARLIE SHIFT....I THINK WE WOULD ALL LOVE TO STAY ON THE TEN HOUR SHIFTS IF POSSIBLE. HOWEVER, IF THE TOWN SAYS NO, EITHER 8 OR 12 THEN I THINK MOST WOULD LIKE TO GO FOR THE TWELVE HOUR SHIFTS. LIKE I SAID, I DIDN'T SPEAK TO EVERYONE IN THE DEPARTMENT.

SECOND... EVERYONE IS GANGING UP ON ROSEN AND HIS PROPOSAL. IF WE DO GO TO THE 12 HOUR SHIFTS, HIS IS ONE TO LOOK AT ALONG WITH THE REST OF THEM. YOU CAN FIND THE SCHEDUALS ON LINE AND LOOK THEM UP, THERE ARE A BUNCH OF THEM. BUT TO MAKE FUN OF HIM OVER AND OVER AGAIN FOR TRYING TO FIGURE SOMETHING OUT "JUST IN CASE" IS UNCALLED FOR. I BELIEVE ROSEN WOULD RATHER STAY 4 10'S THEN THE 12 HOUR SHIFTS.

THIRD- ONE THING TO THINK ABOUT TO THE NEWER OFFICERS. I AM TALKING TO THE ONES HERE LESS THEN 3 YEARS. SOONER THEN YOU THINK, YOU WILL BE THE SENIOR OFFICERS IN THE DEPARTMENT. WHEN WE VOTE FOR DAYS OFF, IF YOU VOTE FOR ROTATING DAYS OFF, THEN SOON WHEN YOU ENTITLED FOR WEEKENDS OFF, YOUR SCREWING YOURSELF. THOSE OFFICERS 3-6 YEARS, YOUR ON THE BUBBLE, YOU WILL BE GETTING PARTS OF THE WEEKENDS OFF NOW. ALL OF THEM OFF SOON.
    OBVIOUSLY I WANT SET DAYS OFF. I THINK ITS THE BEST. IF YOU WANNA GO TO SCHOOL, COACH A SPORT FOR YOUR KIDS, PLAY SPORTS YOURSELF, THIS IS THE WAY TO GO. NO ROTATING DAYS OFF. I BUSTED MY arse HERE FOR 14 YEARS AND FEEL THAT I AM ENTITLED TO WEEKENDS OFF, JUST LIKE YOU WILL BE WHEN YOU HERE OVER TEN YEARS.
    OH YEAH....MY SPELLING AND GRAMMAR STINKS..... I KNOW IT AND SO DOES MOST OF MY FRIENDS. SO PLEASE NO REMARKS ABOUT THEM. I DON'T CARE IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT....
    FYI: We had the 12's in late 70's. I was attending Nova Univ and did my research project on the effects of the 12 hour shift. I compared only those that were on the eight hour shift, then were on the 12's for two years. Self-initiated activity, such as citations, on-view calls, FIs, arrests initially went up, then sank to the 8-hr averages the second year. The per shift per officer averages fell to what they were before (i.e. officers were now stretching 8 hours worth of self-initiation into 12). Total calls went up only because of simple math: If you work 50% longer your DISPATCHED calls should be 50% more. Sick time also went up. One curious aspect was that the Town forced the 12's onto the officers, who then liked them. The Town then had to force the officers off the 12's. Back then, we worked two and were off two days. We had longevity then that paid in a lump the first pay of December (just in time for holiday shopping). The OT that was built up during the year due to the 12 hour shifts was paid in a lump sum the first pay in June (just in time for vacations). One item that the Town agreed to was proper rest for the Alpha Shift (6p - 6a) guys who had court. Anyone who had to go to court between the two on-duty days did not have to come to work till eight hours after they left the courtroom, at no charge to leave banks. Eventually, one of the Apha guys was placed on a 2p-2a shift.

Thanks for your input, different examples and ideas for us on different topics are helpful for these posts. Im sure that if you wait long enough, someone pro/anti for all 3 shifts (8/10/12) will weigh in on the issue and someone will bash them.
    The one thing that we havent discussed is that the town is CUTTING jobs with a new shift. Just because no one is about to be fired doesnt mean we wont eventually be working these shifts with less numbers. Do the math. One issue is a longer shift, longer response due to fatigue, and safety could be at stake. But if I had to, its A better schedule than the 8 hour.

Re: 12 HOUR SHIFTS

W e had the 12's in late 70's. I was attending Nova Univ and did my research project on the effects of the 12 hour shift. I compared only those that were on the eight hour shift, then were on the 12's for two years. Self-initiated activity, such as citations, on-view calls, FIs, arrests initially went up, then sank to the 8-hr averages the second year. The per shift per officer averages fell to what they were before (i.e. officers were now stretching 8 hours worth of self-initiation into 12). Total calls went up only because of simple math: If you work 50% longer your DISPATCHED calls should be 50% more. Sick time also went up. One curious aspect was that the Town forced the 12's onto the officers, who then liked them. The Town then had to force the officers off the 12's. Back then, we worked two and were off two days. We had longevity then that paid in a lump the first pay of December (just in time for holiday shopping). The OT that was built up during the year due to the 12 hour shifts was paid in a lump sum the first pay in June (just in time for vacations). One item that the Town agreed to was proper rest for the Alpha Shift (6p - 6a) guys who had court. Anyone who had to go to court between the two on-duty days did not have to come to work till eight hours after they left the courtroom, at no charge to leave banks. Eventually, one of the Apha guys was placed on a 2p-2a shift.[/quote]

This was posted a while ago and I thought it should be posted again.

thanks for the post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12