Online Associates, Bachelors & Masters in C.J. - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

I have accelerated my degree by taking four CLEPs so far this summer. All I used was a site called degreebyexam.com to prepare for them. I spent about a week to two on each, usually more seriously the second week. Haven't failed one yet, knock on wood. I probably wouldn't have been able to do it without the site though.

http://www.degreebyexam.com/index.php?p ... vestudents

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain
    America's Most Overrated Product: Higher Education
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Nemko, PhD
    College students with weak high school records usually drop out, having learned little, and with devastated self-esteem, a mountain of debt, and a job they could have obtained without college. Amazingly, many good students don’t do much better.
    Among my saddest moments as a career counselor is when I hear a story like this: “I wasn’t a good student in high school but I wanted to prove that I can get a college diploma--I’d be the first one in my family to do it. But it’s been five years and $80,000 and I still have 45 units to go.”

Weak in High School; Weaker in College

I have a hard time telling such people the killer statistic: According to the U.S. Department of Education, despite colleges having dumbed-down classes to accommodate to the weak students, among college freshmen who graduated in the bottom 40 percent of their high school class, 76 of 100 won’t earn a diploma, even if...
    Click here for the full story.
    "Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is SUCCESS." -- Henry Ford

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain
    The Case Against Grad School
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Nemko, PhD, U.S. News & World Report
    The more education you have, the more money you'll make–right?

Well, that's what graduate school administrators would like you to believe. But the truth is, it varies with the individual. The question is whether grad school is right for you.

In my 20 years as a career coach, I've listened to many people who spent years and mortgaged their financial futures to get a graduate degree, only to find themselves earning far less than they expected. Some struggle just to repay backbreaking student loans.

There are good reasons to attend grad school–it may be the only way to get the credentials or knowledge you need. But there are poor reasons, too. If you're motivated by any of these, think twice:

You'll earn more. That has generally been true in the past–but it's changing. Today, many more people are...
    Click here for the full story.
    "Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is SUCCESS." -- Henry Ford

I went 14k into debt to finish a Bachelors degree, so it's highly unlikely that I'll go to graduate school. Also, in law enforcement, a graduate degree won't help me to "get ahead" at the SSO. Everything that you need is in a Bachelors degree. Then there's the debate about getting a degree in Criminal Justice or some other degree that can make you money when you leave law enforcement.

Anyways, I don't think that it's cost-effective for a cop to get a graduate degree -- in most cases, but certainly not in all cases. If you just HAVE to get a graduate degree, then do it in something that can make you MONEY when you leave law enforcement!

Reference going into debt to get a Bachelors degree -- if I had to do it over again, would I? YES!!! You can never take that sheepskin away from me!

Still paying off my college debt... :roll:

Re: Online Associates, Bachelors & Masters in C.J.

University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee offers the MA Criminal Justice Administration as a cohort starting Fall 2008. 50% online - only 5 semesters!

OR finish your Bachelor's degree if you have an AA degree or AS degree

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345