We should be given the option to carry firearms - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Whats the problem

When has a terrorist EVER targeted a police department dispatch center? BWA HA HA HA!! Give me a break! There are enough cops to deal with it, if it ever were to happen.

Last thing you paranoid types need is a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Armed and Dangerous
    Unbelievable...some of you just don't get it. I never said that we would be police officers or SWAT members. I love being a dispatcher. But I still think, like many fellow Dispatchers who have come forward in support, that we should be issued firearms, IN CASE we are called upon to act. We would only use are guns in extreme emergencies such as attacks on the department by terrorist groups or as extra firepower during natural disasters / riot situations. I would be happy if I never needed to fire my handgun or shoot a terrorist but if it comes to that, I will be ready, along with other smart minded Dispatchers. And please stop with the hate comments. I am just giving my comman sence suggestions on behalf of concerned proffesionals.

what ?

Can't they just call the hood and their thug drug dealing friends to respond?

i am a dispatcher and have been for awhile, probably could shoot better than some of the units i know, but THIS IS ONE OF WORST IDEAS I HAVE EVER HEARD OF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????????? THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD WANT TO SIT IN A ROOM FULL OF SOME OF MY CO WORKERS KNOWING THEY ARE CARRYING WEAPONS!!!!!!!!!!!! there is no psych test anymore, no freaking way! especially without getting hazard pay!

Re: We should be given the option to carry firearms

Quote Originally Posted by armed and dangerous
    I believe that dispatchers should be given the option to be trained and certified to carry handguns, at least while working. This is a major concern for most dispatchers and as a dispatcher for over 7 years, I think I can safely speak for most of us. Allowing us to work armed would not only empower us as women but would allow us to assist if our police stations were ever attacked by terrorists. Further the Dispatch Supervisors could be issued long-guns and we could check our firearms in and out before each shift. IT ONLY MAKES SENSE.
    Are you freaking kidding me

[quote="Armed and Dangerous"]Unbelievable...some of you just don't get it. I never said that we would be police officers or SWAT members. I love being a dispatcher. But I still think, like many fellow Dispatchers who have come forward in support, that we should be issued firearms, IN CASE we are called upon to act. We would only use are guns in extreme emergencies such as attacks on the department by terrorist groups or as extra firepower during natural disasters / riot situations. I would be happy if I never needed to fire my handgun or shoot a terrorist but if it comes to that, I will be ready, along with other smart minded Dispatchers. And please stop with the hate comments. I am just giving my comman sence suggestions on behalf of concerned proffesionals.[/quote
    go ahead bring it in the building. its only a 3rd degree felony

Re: Arm Dispatchers?

Quote Originally Posted by County Wide & Concern
    Oh yea thats a great idea let a dispatcher carry a firearm, right along with arming a two year old. Awesome, with no training, no real world experience your going to back me up. Or run like hell in the opposite direction. Or maybe you'll be a renegade vigilant type who thinks their a police officer like that female in Palm Beach County did. Listen to all the dispatchers your not mature enough, you don't have the training, experience or fortitude to handle a situation which would call for real world solutions. God be with you Mister, Miss, or if you prefer Mrs, and I catch you with a firearm in your possession without a concealed weapon permit. Or better yet if I catch you playing Police person, I will arrest you!! Bottom line, no courtesy, no reasoning, no crying, no who you no BS. You are going to jail.
    Even if you have a permit it is still a felony. law enforcements are not allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I believe that dispatchers should be given the option to be trained and certified to carry handguns, at least while working. This is a major concern for most dispatchers and as a dispatcher for over 7 years, I think I can safely speak for most of us. Allowing us to work armed would not only empower us as women but would allow us to assist if our police stations were ever attacked by terrorists. Further the Dispatch Supervisors could be issued long-guns and we could check our firearms in and out before each shift. IT ONLY MAKES SENSE.
    Are you freaking kidding me
    They should all immediately be issued thos caulking guns that are sold at Home Depot. Fill them with Boston Creme, that way if an active shooter should breach the comm center, the on duty radio operators could smother them with their cellulite! :lol:

Re: Arm Dispatchers?

Quote Originally Posted by County Wide & Concern
    Oh yea thats a great idea let a dispatcher carry a firearm, right along with arming a two year old. Awesome, with no training, no real world experience your going to back me up. Or run like hell in the opposite direction. Or maybe you'll be a renegade vigilant type who thinks their a police officer like that female in Palm Beach County did. Listen to all the dispatchers your not mature enough, you don't have the training, experience or fortitude to handle a situation which would call for real world solutions. God be with you Mister, Miss, or if you prefer Mrs, and I catch you with a firearm in your possession without a concealed weapon permit. Or better yet if I catch you playing Police person, I will arrest you!! Bottom line, no courtesy, no reasoning, no crying, no who you no BS. You are going to jail.
    Some of us have permits, more training than you, have the fortitude (proven under fire), and have NO desire to be police officers.

I carry every day, and practice regularly unlike to majority of LEO's I know. Do I want to be an LEO? Nope, too old to play those games, but I don't want to arm my fellow dispatchers either, at least not at work.

I also don't think terrorists are going to attack my communications center.

I don't pretend to be an LEO. I don't flash my badge at people in traffic. I don't get free meals at Perkins, either. But, should I be driving along and see you on a traffic stop, and fighting with a socially disadvantaged or misguided soul, I would back you up.....would that upset you?

Are you kidding me? WHy do you feel like you need to shoot a threat over the phone, if you want to carry a gun so bad, join the reserves or get a conceal weapon permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Armed and Dangerous
    Unbelievable...some of you just don't get it. I never said that we would be police officers or SWAT members. I love being a dispatcher. But I still think, like many fellow Dispatchers who have come forward in support, that we should be issued firearms, IN CASE we are called upon to act. We would only use are guns in extreme emergencies such as attacks on the department by terrorist groups or as extra firepower during natural disasters / riot situations. I would be happy if I never needed to fire my handgun or shoot a terrorist but if it comes to that, I will be ready, along with other smart minded Dispatchers. And please stop with the hate comments. I am just giving my comman sence suggestions on behalf of concerned proffesionals.
    I'm not signing in on purpose so I can speak freely here.

Hell, the agency I worked at wouldn't even let me bring my own weapon on premise (in my purse WITH my concealed permit). Why would I want it with me you joke? Well let's see...

There was the night my squad arrested an armed dirtbag doing a burglary on an occupied residence, and of course he had outstanding warrants. (When don't they?) I was working 18:00-06:00 alone (typical), and the arresting officer put dirtbag in a freaking interview room instead of the holding cells!

So, I'm pretty used to the late night noises of an old station. I start hearing noises that are just not right. Dirtbad had stacked chairs then torn the ceiling tiles out of the interview room and was proceeding to crawl through the overhead crawlspace that goes right over dispatch.

Now isn't that special!? (Said in my best Dana Carvey Church Lady voice)

He could have easily landed in my lap deciding on where he was going to choose to punch through. In that situation I'd rather be armed with something a little heftier than the freaking coffee maker...ya think?

I grabbed the phone and intercommed back to the squad room..signal 6! (Escapee) Yes it happened. I still have the photos I took of what was left of that interview room. I forgot to shoot a pic of the egg on you know who's face.

All I'm saying is...not all dispatch positions are as streamlined and advanced as some of you have. Not all agencies have modern buildings and all the toys. In some places you freakin' fend for yourself.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast