We should be given the option to carry firearms - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Armed Dispatchers

I have to agree with Superlw8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arming dispatchers is NOT the answer to a response to terroists attacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have seen many people come and go in my career, and the thought of some of them carrying a gun is quite SCARY!!!!!! :shock: :shock: Can you honestly say "I could shoot that person coming into the center?"..........I doubt it. If you want a gun, get a concealed weapon permit or go through the academy. But keep the guns OUT of my Communications Center :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Arm Dispatchers?

Oh yea thats a great idea let a dispatcher carry a firearm, right along with arming a two year old. Awesome, with no training, no real world experience your going to back me up. Or run like hell in the opposite direction. Or maybe you'll be a renegade vigilant type who thinks their a police officer like that female in Palm Beach County did. Listen to all the dispatchers your not mature enough, you don't have the training, experience or fortitude to handle a situation which would call for real world solutions. God be with you Mister, Miss, or if you prefer Mrs, and I catch you with a firearm in your possession without a concealed weapon permit. Or better yet if I catch you playing Police person, I will arrest you!! Bottom line, no courtesy, no reasoning, no crying, no who you no BS. You are going to jail.

Re: Whats the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Armed and Dangerous
    Unbelievable...some of you just don't get it. I never said that we would be police officers or SWAT members. I love being a dispatcher. But I still think, like many fellow Dispatchers who have come forward in support, that we should be issued firearms, IN CASE we are called upon to act. We would only use are guns in extreme emergencies such as attacks on the department by terrorist groups or as extra firepower during natural disasters / riot situations. I would be happy if I never needed to fire my handgun or shoot a terrorist but if it comes to that, I will be ready, along with other smart minded Dispatchers. And please stop with the hate comments. I am just giving my comman sence suggestions on behalf of concerned proffesionals.

This is alot more sad than it is laughable. Do you even have any idea how to shoot? Have you taken gun safety courses? Do you already own a firearm and practice with it often? Dispatchers sit in the haven of an office and do not SEE or HEAR or FEEL what any road dog does. They sympathize, but can't empathize. If they did , they would suck at their jobs. I know, because I am a dispatcher. Half the radio twits I know would shoot their own effing toes off "if called upon to act". We aren't called upon to do anything but talk on the radio. You sound like you need some serious issues worked out. You are "support staff" not the firing squad. Christ.
    I won't even address the poor grammar.
    But armed and dangerous is an appropriate call sign for you, that's certain.

What??

OK, am I reading this correctly? Arm the Comm. Centers? OMG! Now that is just plain funny-scary!

I can see my fellow co-workers totin' gun belts! Heck, I have hard enough time find a regular belt big enough now, how the heck would I find a gun belt big enough?

Plus the fact that we are all a little 'SG20' (crazy) to begin with, or we wouldn't be working in dispatch and the ones I know for a fact who would go postal if given the chance to have a weapon at their position....

I can also envision all the equipment we would have to replace because someone would get mad at a caller and shoot their computer!

OHHHH, and how about complaints that we need different chairs because the gun pokes us on our sides making it difficult to dispatch, etc, etc....

I bet if you ask Joe Citizen where their local dispatch center is, they wouldn't have a clue. So why would we need to worry about terrorists? Yes, I know, Osama bin Laden is just waiting around the corner to take out your Comm.Center!

I really think that the original poster meant well, but that they are not thinking clearly, really, if you want to carry, become a law officer, then you can protect the Comm. Center from terrorists! :roll:

Sorry, but this idea is stupid. I am a dispatcher and would be afraid of being shot by some of my less than stable co-workers. Everybody here is right, if you wanna have a gun outside of work that's great. Wanna work with guns go to the academy but otherwise keep 'em away from dispatch. And if you're really that scared of "terrorist activity" or "riots" then lock the door and get on the radio and do your job to protect your self!!!

:lol:

ANYONE HAVE A FRIEND BUTTON!!! HAHAHAHA!!!! GUNS IN THE CENTER, THAT IS A JOKE!!!!

This poster (Armed and Dangerous) reeks of a wanna be officer that is stuck as a dispatcher...Second of all, whats with the "Empower us as women"..You need a gun to feel empowered?...Then suck it up and go to the police academy

I was thinking we could arm them with water guns, but then I realized that some of them would probably fill the with bleach or something and shoot the other dispatchers.

Re: We should be given the option to carry firearms

Quote Originally Posted by armed and dangerous
    I believe that dispatchers should be given the option to be trained and certified to carry handguns, at least while working. This is a major concern for most dispatchers and as a dispatcher for over 7 years, I think I can safely speak for most of us. Allowing us to work armed would not only empower us as women but would allow us to assist if our police stations were ever attacked by terrorists. Further the Dispatch Supervisors could be issued long-guns and we could check our firearms in and out before each shift. IT ONLY MAKES SENSE.
    [i]Change your name to DIS-armed and dangerous 'cause the idea is just plain stupid and will never happen.

Re: Whats the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Armed and Dangerous
    Unbelievable...some of you just don't get it. I never said that we would be police officers or SWAT members. I love being a dispatcher. But I still think, like many fellow Dispatchers who have come forward in support, that we should be issued firearms, IN CASE we are called upon to act. We would only use are guns in extreme emergencies such as attacks on the department by terrorist groups or as extra firepower during natural disasters / riot situations. I would be happy if I never needed to fire my handgun or shoot a terrorist but if it comes to that, I will be ready, along with other smart minded Dispatchers. And please stop with the hate comments. I am just giving my comman sence suggestions on behalf of concerned proffesionals.
    This is hilarious. I am a dispatcher and by no means should we be armed. First of all, I highly doubt they will call dispatcher/calltaker to defend the station in case that "terrorists" or an invasion of killer bees would attack.

It sounds like you are a gung-ho cop wanna be that possibly got rejected, let me rephrase, excluded from the hiring process and still need to find an excuse to carry a weapon. (this scares me and it should scare your co-workers), because you are a bomb waiting to explode.

PS: im sure you will be fired if you desert your post to fight the martians coming to take over the station.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast