Electronic copy of SOP

Electronic copy of SOP

Does anyone at HCSO have an electronic copy of the SOP?

I'm working on a report writing guide / documentation and need to get my hands on the section of the SOP that addresses reports. I've never seen the SOP, but I've heard people reference it for reports so I'm assuming it's in there.

I've also heard that the Districts have a copy, if so, I can go down there and hand copy it if need be. For obvious reasons, it would be sooooooo much easier if I could just get an electronic version and work on it from home.

My plan is, and feel free to tell me if this already exists or if I'm being sig-20, is to develop a notebook for Reserve II's.
    The front cover would have a table that lists the signal codes by number and includes columns to indicate if a report is required, if an R2 can take the call as a primary, etc. The idea being that after checking queued calls, we could look at the chart and determine if we could take it based on current rules.
    Inside the notebook, listed by signal code, would be a brief overview or paper recommendations.
    In the Appendix would be a sample of the common reports along with a box by box description of what to write.

For instance, "221 - Noise Complaint" in the table would indicate that R2's could be primary, and that paper may be required. So, if that call was queued we could jump it.
    In the "221 - Noise Complaint" section it would inform you that if there was a complainant, and you observed the violation, paperwork was required. For D4, that involves call DX04 to see if a warning had been issued previous. If not, a trespass warning is modified to serve as a "noise ordinance" warning. If so, they are direct filed for the ordinance violation.
    In the appendix would be a sample noise ordinance warning and the paperwork required to direct file the county ordinance violation.

My goal would be to host it on a website / forum somewhere in PDF format and R2's could subscribe and get notifications of updates.

However, for all of this to work I need a copy of the SOP so I can get the relevant information into the R2's hands. I'll call this "The William Tyndale Project", you can google his name to see the challenges I'm going to face getting my hands on the SOP and what happens if I get caught doing it....

I don't need to look it up.

I know Tyndale was burned at the stake for translating the Bible into the English language. :shock:

Actually, why don't you ask some civilian friend to contact Professional Standards and see if an electronic copy of the SOPs is available under the Sunshine Law. You will probably have to pay a few bucks for it and you won't get updates, but you could get it in its current form.

:?

Good idea

That's a good idea (Sunshine law), I'll give that a shot.

The Tyndale comment was tacky (on my part), I shouldn't have compared this little project with his work.

Sorry about that.

Re: Good idea

Quote Originally Posted by fltoddy
    That's a good idea (Sunshine law), I'll give that a shot.

The Tyndale comment was tacky (on my part), I shouldn't have compared this little project with his work.

Sorry about that.

On the other hand, the punishment might be about the same!

:lol:

Re: Electronic copy of SOP

Does anyone at HCSO have an electronic copy of the SOP?

My plan is, and feel free to tell me if this already exists or if I'm being sig-20, is to develop a notebook for Reserve II's.

The front cover would have a table that lists the signal codes by number and includes columns to indicate if a report is required, if an R2 can take the call as a primary, etc. The idea being that after checking queued calls, we could look at the chart and determine if we could take it based on current rules.
    This is a great idea! I can tell you that I've looked at the que and have taken calls that are pretty easy to see that they aren't report calls. Also, I've taken calls that were possibly report calls but when we arrived, were able to resolve it without a report.

Then there were times when we would simply call for another unit to X94 after we determined that a report was needed.

AND lastly when dispatch calls out for "any unit to respond..." and none are available, we will take the call (report call or not) if we are nearby and follow the same procedure above. We can let dispatch know to place us 51 as 94 until a regular Dep becomes available as Primary.

Seems to work out fine and no one has objected. [/img]

sop 900 is the report writing manual. The only electronic copy of it that I know of is in the hcso intranet, accessible only on a hcso computer.

Thanks for the info...

I've come to the conclusion that the fastest way to access the SOP will be from a district. So, I'll take my happy butt down to a District and start taking notes I guess.

In response to the post from the Reserve above, I do take (non-felony) report calls and am not at all opposed to doing a report. However, I want to make sure I do them 100% correct and if given the choice between taking a report call that I'm not 100% sure how to complete or letting it sit, I'll let it sit unless it's a priority 1.

I am, and will always be, leery about taking felony report calls because the stakes are so much higher. Since I don't do this full-time I don't feel I'm as qualified as a career deputy to prepare, present, and testify at a felony case.

I'd be perfectly content to just have every late reported theft, found property, and other miscellaneous calls documented because I think just handling them would be a big help.

I know the old timer Reserves are violently opposed to transporting prisoners, so I won't even go there other than to say that's another valuable service to the road Deputies that we are sidestepping.....

Re: Thanks for the info...

I've come to the conclusion that the fastest way to access the SOP will be from a district. So, I'll take my happy butt down to a District and start taking notes I guess.

In response to the post from the Reserve above, I do take (non-felony) report calls and am not at all opposed to doing a report. However, I want to make sure I do them 100% correct and if given the choice between taking a report call that I'm not 100% sure how to complete or letting it sit, I'll let it sit unless it's a priority 1.

I am, and will always be, leery about taking felony report calls because the stakes are so much higher. Since I don't do this full-time I don't feel I'm as qualified as a career deputy to prepare, present, and testify at a felony case.

I'd be perfectly content to just have every late reported theft, found property, and other miscellaneous calls documented because I think just handling them would be a big help.

I know the old timer Reserves are violently opposed to transporting prisoners, so I won't even go there other than to say that's another valuable service to the road Deputies that we are sidestepping.....
    Yep...Agreed. How about writing Non-Criminal Cits? Silly isn't it? We shouldn't have to have another Deputy Co-sign. That needs to be changed and I have heard that it might. When a person runs a light or stop sign, it's a no brainer just as it would be for failure to display a tag or driver license.

Silly? Yes and no.....

Is it silly to have a blanket statement that R2's must have cites co-signed? I don't think so as there is a wide range of competency in the program. I'd rather them lock it down than have one knucklehead ruin it for everyone.

However, I would like to see them have some sort of certification or program that would allow those that pass muster to write non-criminal cites. I know the AI's can but I'm not ready / able to pony up the 160 hour per month ante that they require. If they call "01-09-11-18-24-27" during the next lottery pull I might, but until then I need my job. I don't need the money, but the people I owe it to sure seem to need it.

I want to be a Reserve 1.5.....

Re: Silly? Yes and no.....

Is it silly to have a blanket statement that R2's must have cites co-signed? I don't think so as there is a wide range of competency in the program. I'd rather them lock it down than have one knucklehead ruin it for everyone.

However, I would like to see them have some sort of certification or program that would allow those that pass muster to write non-criminal cites. I know the AI's can but I'm not ready / able to pony up the 160 hour per month ante that they require. If they call "01-09-11-18-24-27" during the next lottery pull I might, but until then I need my job. I don't need the money, but the people I owe it to sure seem to need it.

I want to be a Reserve 1.5.....
    Not a blanket statement...But there should be some kind of "certification" or "approval" for those do write cits and do it well.

Maybe get with an FTO for like 8 hours, learn how to properly write a citation then get "approved" by the FTO. It's not brain surgery.

We have a group AI's that handle accidents that can also write Cits.

But for me, I would rather ride Zone and when needed write cits as well.

There should be two groups: RII AI's and RII Razor Units.