About APD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About APD

Wha'ts in the city?

Anchorage, what's in the city? how about police off duty details? My uncle lived in North Pole, Alaska. greetings from sunny Pembroke Pines, Florida.

Alaska

Thanks for the question.

Anchorage is a city with about 300,000 people. We have everything a larger city has. A sports arena, convention center (a newer one is currently being built), a Performing Arts Center. We have a semi pro hockey team that actually won the Kelly Cup last year. A semi pro indoor football team – hasn’t done too well this year. There is fishing as close as downtown at Ship Creek. Lots to do, places to go, things to see.

This is not North Pole, Alaska. Anchorage is a real City. You should check out some photos on line. There are many web cams and photo you can find by doing a search on-line.

Off duty cops here work details almost every day. We have many posted OT details ranging from traffic control for races, hockey games, football games and other activities. There are many Patrol OT details from TLE, DUI enforcement as well as many other types of LE activities. Are OT is based strictly on seniority. The guys that’s been here the longest has the first shot at a detail. We have so many that this has never been a problem because many times there are more details than cops to work them.

I've got some questions for ya. I'm stationed up here in Anchorage. I'm in Law Enforcement for the Air Force. I was wondering if APD has some type of reserve unit or part time officer positions? If there is, are they sworn positions or civilian positions? I've looked into getting hired up here after I seperate from the Air Force but not sure if I want to stay up here or go back to my hometown in Florida. Thanks in advance for the answers.

We don't have a reserve program running at this time. You can contact our public afairs unit to schedule a ridealong or contact our APD recruiter for more information. Most people who join our department thinking they don't really like it up here don't usually make it long. Many quit right out of the academy. Decide where you want to live before setting your roots.

Quote Originally Posted by mod 364
    We don't have a reserve program running at this time. You can contact our public afairs unit to schedule a ridealong or contact our APD recruiter for more information. Most people who join our department thinking they don't really like it up here don't usually make it long. Many quit right out of the academy. Decide where you want to live before setting your roots.
    Hows the crime there? Can you raise a family as a cop!

hello dave d.

hey dave, hope all is going good for you in anchorage. we will be thinking of you when we are in the 70 degree weather in december and you are in 7' of snow. stay safe.

living in Anchorage

Anchorage has been good to me. All three of my kids were grown and raised here. Two in college and one in the Marines in Iraq.

What is the starting salary?

$55000.00

Anchorage has had a pretty cold summer so far, mostly in the upper 50's with a few days in the low 70's. The ATV'ing has been awesome! Much better riding when it is a little cooler. Fishing has been good and bad depending on the rivers that are being fished. This is a good summer to come up and check out our state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast