Retirement

Thread: Retirement

Retirement

What is the retirement like in Maryland. If you work 25 years what is the percent of your salary you receive? I'm looking to relocate from South Florida. Any help would be great. Thanks.

The retirement here varies. With some departments it is 20 and out at %50 or %60, and others may have a 22, 23 or 25 year retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by MOD 337
    The retirement here varies. With some departments it is 20 and out at %50 or %60, and others may have a 22, 23 or 25 year retirement.
    Thank you. I was told there was full medical after retirement. I'm looking to relocate from Florida what are some of the better big agencies to work for?

Certainly not this Dept.!

We are horrible here! Please don't leave Florida to come to this Liberal mess...On second thought, I'll take your spot down there! Welcome aboard this sinking ship!!!

Re: Certainly not this Dept.!

Quote Originally Posted by NotHere101
    We are horrible here! Please don't leave Florida to come to this Liberal mess...On second thought, I'll take your spot down there! Welcome aboard this sinking ship!!!
    Is the whole area this way? I was also looking at Virginia.

I want your spot! Please don't leave Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Pdog439
    I want your spot! Please don't leave Florida.
    Is it really that bad? Are there any good agencies up there?

I retired from this agency in 2004 with 21 yrs. and moved to Florida (West Coast) south of Tampa. Got a job with a SO after EOT school in St. Pete wasn't that difficult and working patrol here in sunny Florida.
    Every agency has its issues none are immune from that. My advise to you is stay where you are!!!! Yes they have health insurance after retirement thats true, however that should not be your only reason. As the other poster stated it is very liberal up there!!!!!!! and the cost of housing alone will knock your socks off, state income tax, sales tax, county tax etc.!!!!!! Be patient they will get health insurance after retirement down here soon enough, actually some agencies have it now. Anymore ????? I'll check back, good luck and stay safe!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A0746
    I retired from this agency in 2004 with 21 yrs. and moved to Florida (West Coast) south of Tampa. Got a job with a SO after EOT school in St. Pete wasn't that difficult and working patrol here in sunny Florida.
    Every agency has its issues none are immune from that. My advise to you is stay where you are!!!! Yes they have health insurance after retirement thats true, however that should not be your only reason. As the other poster stated it is very liberal up there!!!!!!! and the cost of housing alone will knock your socks off, state income tax, sales tax, county tax etc.!!!!!! Be patient they will get health insurance after retirement down here soon enough, actually some agencies have it now. Anymore ????? I'll check back, good luck and stay safe!!!!!!!!!
    I love being a cop in Florida, I hate south Florida though. I'm from Charlotte NC and it's a nice city, but I don't want to do the academy again. My wife hates in here and is pushing me to move somewhere in NC, VA, or MD. I perfer to retire here and then move away. Are there any places in the VA, MD area you know of that are decent? Thanks for the info. Stay safe and happy 4th