nypd rant

Thread: nypd rant

nypd rant

I am a retired nypd detective since 1988 and presently living in Florida. How do I get into the web site "nypd rant".

go to google and enter "nypd rant" without the quotes. Click on the first site that comes up.

& he's a detective !

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    go to google and enter "nypd rant" without the quotes. Click on the first site that comes up.

Unregistered

Stop & Frisk. A cops view....let us do our job!

I’m a retired NYPD MOS, who spent almost a decade on Patrol. I’m also a proud member of NYPD’s Honor Legion and am very pro Police Officer. In my heart, I’ll always be a cop. I’m troubled by what I see at this moment. Police – community relations in New York City are at an all time low. The situation regarding the Stop & Frisk debacle is in need of immediate redress and remedy.
    One would be hard pressed to find a comparable era in New York City history, save perhaps for the 1960s. This troubles me tremendously, because I honestly believe that a better, more positive police - community relationship is possible. Far too much trust, understanding, and empathy has been lost, possibly forever. As a NYPD retiree who grew up in New York City, I have a vested interest in helping to mend fences and augment this very necessary bond. The public, particularly many members of the minority communities throughout New York City, now view the NYPD in a different, greatly diminished, light. This is regrettable, because our Police Officers are the best in the world, and they deserve better.
    There are some simple, common sense, easily attainable changes that the NYPD could, and arguably should, make to the current Stop & Frisk policies. The NYPD is long over due for a change of mindset. For decades, NYPD executives were focused simply upon generation of numbers, such as aggregate number of Stop & Frisk reports. Prior Police Commissioners, who did a good job in protecting New York City against terrorism, lost the forest for the trees, by focusing only on numbers, i.e. Compstat. Using computer mapping and technology to analyze and fight crime is without a doubt the wave of the future, but it must never replace common sense crime fighting & good police work. Pressuring officers to generate a high volume of Stop & Frisk reports does NOT make New Yorkers any safer.
    NYPD can take several proactive measures to ensure that Stop & Frisks are conducted properly and at the right places & times. Aggregate numbers of Stop & Frisks would probably decrease, but the overall quality of these Stop & Frisks would be better.
    In addition to some of the finest Police Officers in the world, the NYPD has tremendous, state of the art resources available to her; however, these resources are not always properly utilized. The ‘Real Time Crime Center’ could provide a daily transmission of the locations of serious / violent street crimes, especially Robbery, to various overhead, aka. Patrol Borough, commands, which in turn could disseminate this data to the 77 precincts, which cover the entire City of New York. This would allow Patrol commanders to direct both uniformed & plain clothes Stop & Frisk enforcement to be directed to exactly the appropriate places at exactly the appropriate times, i.e. when & where the violent crimes are occurring. This would allow timely & proper deployment of enforcement teams to implement Stop & Frisk street encounters, where they are most needed. An additional tactic I learned after almost a decade on Patrol may help to diminish unnecessary Stop & Frisks. When on patrol, and when consistent with personal safety & the ends of justice, I often requested Central to re – broadcast the description of the wanted perpetrator, so those stopped could see it was legit. Obviously, I'd do this only when safe.
    Enhanced training never hurts, either. Illegal Stop & Frisks, statistically a small minority of all Stop & Frisks conducted, have occurred, but good, legitimate Stop & Frisks must be laser – targeted, to help deliver illegal guns from the hands of perpetrators. The vast majority of NYPD officers, who do a tremendous job day in and day out, deserve and would benefit from an augmented public confidence in the NYPD.