Why 12 hours Shifts Suck and we wont see them on the road - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

4 on 4 off

We have detectives going back to the street because they have lost the 4 on and 4 off. With this schedule you work only 180 days out of the year. Off duty jobs, Annual(Vacation) and schools can be schedule a year in advance. Its really a good system....

Nothing beats 4 tens, no doubt. Set schedule, set days off, three day weekend.

But TPD's shifts are not what we would go to. We would not have 4 on 4 off. TPD's is a hybrid shift, not straight 12's

Im knocking so listen up

PCSO needs to go to north county works 8's and south county works 12's or vice versa....so that all u whiny 5+ guys can work your 8 hr schedules and all us less then 5 guys can enjoy our 12's....how about that for fairness. Oh, and when u 5+ guys that dont want 12's see how much time off the 12 hr guys seem to have and how much less vacation time they seem to waste; you'll be jumping on the band wagon.

Don't mean to butt in here, but I have worked 12hr shifts for about four months now. There is a huge benefit. I only work 15 days a month. Translate that over a year and it's only six months...out of the whole freakin year. I have more time off with my family and my pay automatically increased, because the pay period is now 84hrs. You don't get the extra 4hrs in OT, but you still get a bump in pay.

I know many expressed the fact that if you have court before you clock in or right after, you could get screwed out of sleep. I make pleanty arrests in my agency and court time has never hurt my sleep schedule yet.

Child care issues....you only work 7days out of 14, you can watch your own kid on your days off, which are pleanty on 12 hr shifts.

As for benefits to your agency....they should be obvious. Does it make any sense to man one day with thirty hours (ten hour shift) instead of twenty four....absolutely not. Or, if you like eights, you are using three shifts to cover one day when you could be using only two. The benefits to your agency are again....OBVIOUS. EFFICIENCY IN MAN POWER.

Whats stopping your agency from going to twelves??? OLD TIMERS...old timers afraid of change...afraid to give up there beloved every weekend off. No offense guys and gals but change is not always bad. Ya, I'm sure giving up every weekdend off is not what you want after putting in time, but you need to be reasonable. With propety tax cuts and our legislation doing all kinds of f'ed up things your county is going to look to cut fat. Twelve hour shifts is a great way. It may not be significant ,but it will pinch a penny or two. Whether you like it or not....they can do it without your approval.

...oh...I forgot to mention sick time and vacation accrual. PARITY PEOPLE.

If your union is worth a damn they will argue that by implementing 12s, your vac/sick accrual will have to be adjusted. ie...you will get a little more vac/sick time. Thats a benefit.

have more time off with my family and my pay automatically increased, because the pay period is now 84hrs. You don't get the extra 4hrs in OT, but you still get a bump in pay.

PCSO does pay us the 4 hrs in overtime. and the 12's are sucking so bad in the jail that south and the annex are on 12's and the new psta build will be 12's also. gee if it isnt working out at all then why do we keep using these damn 12's?

we should at least be on tens. how about this old timers.

with tens you could bid to have SSM off and us low lifes can get what is left like WTF off. On tuesday we all work and half can do specialized details like traffic, narcotics, etc and vise versa the next tuesday.

You dinosaurs will have a three day weekend every weekend and us low lifes will get the extra day off during the week.

I have posted before and my only argument is TOTAL time off not weekends. I would be very happy just to have a three day weekend every week even if it is WTF.

Can you really bash this post? if so what is the argument. 8)

I've worked the 4/10's and they're great. I can't speak for the 12's, but officers at Tampa love them. I agree with the previous post, with the 4/10's the senior deputies will get their weekends, actually they'll get their long weekend every week! No one complains when they have three days off and the extra 2 hours on the days you do work go by quickly. It can be set up so that those two are hours are for administrative work when the next shift comes on.

10's

10's are great, however there's one problem. They dont work because of man power issues. You will never see 10's because of the size of the agency and area to cover. PCSO's only options are 8's or 12's. Sorry, but that's reality.

When we first went to 12's it was hard and alot of us complained. Now I would not work anything but. You do have more time off. You will use less vac/sick time. I can burn 84 hrs and have up to 16 days off in a row. You can make doctors appt. for you or your kids on your day off."no loss of time". Yes the "old timers"no disrespect will loose their every weekend off. I did as well. It takes a little time to adjust but it is worth it. We also have 1 perm day squad / 1 perm night squad and the other 2 squads rotate. It has cut down on the overtime. As for court your people on nights are dealing with it now you can too. Also you may not have the loss of productivity if you go to court on your day off. Now no one has to cover your zone while your at court. I know you will beat this post down thats ok. I am just saying the 12's are worth it in the long run whether you agree or not.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123