Why 12 hours Shifts Suck and we wont see them on the road
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why 12 hours Shifts Suck and we wont see them on the road

Why they suck:

#1 The rest of the non-law enforcement world uses five - eight hour days to comprise a work week, try matching your days off to your spouses.

#2 No chance of going to college with rotating days off unless you enjoy not sleeping.

#3 To take a day off you burn 12 hours instead of 8.

#4 Those of us with the seniority it takes to get weekends off would get screwed for no reason.

#5 If you work nights (6pm - 6am) and have court at 1pm, when are sleeping? What if you have a new ASA that tells you to be there at 11am, when are you sleeping?

#6 Child care issues suck as they are now, they would only be made worse by having a 12 hour day.

#7 Eight hours is enough work for most of us before we lose focus. Tens are pushing it. Twelve hour days are inviting errors and safety risks.

Why you wont see them on the road:

#1 NO FINANCIAL BENEFIT TO THE AGENCY!

#2 Most of us do not want them.

#3 NO FINANCIAL BENEFIT TO THE AGENCY!

#4 With the exception of some of Patrol, everyone else has weekends off. Even then alot of squads have part of the weekend off. Its the lesser senior squads that have week days off (boo hoo :P )

#5 NO FINANCIAL BENEFIT TO THE AGENCY!

#6 The 12 hour shifts in the jail can't stay staffed properly and sick time is up, not down.

#7 NO FINANCIAL BENEFIT TO THE AGENCY!

#8 Because there is nothing wwrong with the way it is now.

Now bash away all you 5 year or less guys that can't get weekends off without a transfer. I know, what about your families and all that crap. I say tough, we did it, now it's your turn. That's right, paying your dues and all that which you call BS until the day you have enough time on and you wont think its BS then. Oh but youre the enlightened one that tries to think of "the whole team". Whatever. Like you didnt know what the days off were when you got hired. :wink:

#1 Your first argument sucks. Whats worse? having every other fri/sat/sun off with your spouse or being on evenings with tues/wed off when your spouse has a normal schedule with weekends off???

#2 Start living in 2007 and try internet classes, they're great and require less time. You don't even have to waste your time driving to the campus.

#3 To take a day off you do burn 12 hours instead of 8 but its all relevant. It would accrue and deplete at the same rate as it does with 8 hour days because you have more days off a week on a 12 hour schedule.

#4 Those with seniority would still be benfiting by having a 3 day weekend every other week. Plus you only work 3 days in a row before having days off. Sure beats 5 8's.

#5 If you're that worried about having to go to court when you work mids, go to days. What do people who are on mids now do when they have court in the morning genius??? Same thing!!!

#6 I don't think PCSO deputies are the only LEO's who have kids. There are thousands of other cops who are on 12's and have kids. You have a brain and hopefully your spouse does to, I'm sure you guys can figure something out.

Why you will see them here in the future:

#1 FINANCIAL BENEFIT TO THE AGENCY DUE TO REDUCED OVERTIME.

#2 The only people who do not want them are the slugs who hate their job, do no work, and can't stand working 8 hours as it is.

#3 FINANCIAL BENEFIT TO THE AGENCY DUE TO REDUCED OVERTIME.

#4 Unlike the way the schedule is now, everyone in patrol will be on the same type of schedule and everyone will rotate weekends off, not just the lazy deputies.

#5 FINANCIAL BENEFIT TO THE AGENCY DUE TO REDUCED OVERTIME.

#6 12 hour shifts in the jail cannot be staffed properly because they are severly short to begin with. The road is different than the jail and will benefit from 12 hour shifts. If implemented properly you will be provided mandatory 1 hour meal, 2 15 min breaks, and it will be in policy that you will not take any dispatched calls during the last hour of your shift.

#7 FINANCIAL BENEFIT TO THE AGENCY DUE TO REDUCED OVERTIME.

#8 The schedule we have now sucks and is one of the worst in the state.

I'm not a 5 year or less guy and I do have a piece of the weekend off right now, but I believe 12 hours would be much better for the agency. Not only would it boost morale but it would make for a more family friendly schedule. Who cares how it was years ago?!? Just because its been that way in the past does not mean it is better and there is no reason why it couldn't change.

plz *****

12's blow..do your ****ing time and get weekends off..as far as lazy i have been here a shitload longer then u and im far from lazy..so 12's suck ass..

Re: plz *****

Wow you brought up such a good argument....

I swear you slugs whine more than the rookies do around here....

Quote Originally Posted by fukk u
    12's blow..do your ****ing time and get weekends off..as far as lazy i have been here a shitload longer then u and im far from lazy..so 12's suck arse..

four 10 hour shifts are really the way to go. No rotating days off, and that extra day off is nice.

#1 Whats worsxe is me giving up my Saturday and Sunday off EVERY weekend so that a rookie like you can have some weekends off when I suffered through the same crappy days off you suffer through now. In fact the old Squad 5 had Mon/Tues off, how you like them apples. Deal with it.

#2 Not all colleges have all classes on line smart guy. But Im in one now thanks.

#3 12 hours shifts, 1 day offf = 12 hour vacation. 8 hour shifts 1 day off = 8 hours vacation. Accrual has nothing to do with it moron.

#4 Those with senriority would benefit from nothing by 12's so save it.

#5 I'm not worried at all about going to court now because there are 16 hours between my work hours for me to sleep. With 12 hours to sleep and court in the middle when do the night shift guys on 12's sleep? Or do you take flex time to catch up and lose the OT?

#6 I have nothing to figure out for child care on 8's because it is not an issue azzhole. 12's will maek it more of an issue.

#1 Really?!?!? Reduced O/T??? Ask the JAIL about that smart guy. They can't keep there shifts staffed on 12's and have a ton of O/T and no one to work it. They are using more sick time than before!! You need to get your facts straight retard.

#2 I am far from a slug and probly do 3X the work you do. I love my job, I love patrol, and 8 hours is not always long enough for my day. Anytime you would like to pair up and compare covers, arrests, or any other stat I would bet you my paycheck that you come up lacking my friend.

#3 Again, the jail is in O/T overload due to the sicktime being used and 12's aint cutting the mustard, again check your facts.

#4 Again Chief, with the lazy remarks. Perhaps you'd like to come to Squad 1 and show me how lazy I am. You'd be sucking wind Bro. Oh, but you cant get Squad 1 cuz you have less than 5 years on. TOUGH CRAP.

#5 Already covered

#6 HAHAH, the Road is not fully staffed either due to normal attrition moron. And one thing you miss, my inexperienced friend. Unlike in the jail, the Road Deputies CANNOT be promised 10-58 or breaks. Our primary job is calls for service, they take precedence over 10-58 and breaks. So nice try, next.

#7 Wrong still

#8 The Schedule we have now is just like the schedules of hundreds of other agencies in the country. If you had ever worked else where, as I have, you would know this. If you have ever gone to training and met others from all over the country, like I have, you would know this.

IT ONLY SUCKS BECAUSE YOU CANT GET WHAT YOU WANT YA BIG BABY!!

You probably have a piece of the weekend off because you snuck into an FTO squad somehow or you work a City. You are only taking into consideration what you want, not EVERYONE else as you put it. And your
    Who cares how it was years ago?!?
    speaks volumes about you. Its been that way for decades, not years.

Here's what would happen if 12's come in. Every guy working as a Detective (anywhere), SRO, CPO, STEP, Traffic, Lima, Marine, everywhere would stay planted. Transfers would become a thing of luxury that you would not get as often. Because why give up a set schedule with weekends off for a horrible schedule of rotating days off and long shifts with a 12 hour turn around, barring court, invests, depos, and details. I'm sure we would survive, but it would suck. Family Friendly schedule?? HAHAH. Go work day shift if thats what you need.

I hear that Bankers have good hours, try there Family Guy. :snicker:

vaction

"#3 12 hours shifts, 1 day offf = 12 hour vacation. 8 hour shifts 1 day off = 8 hours vacation. Accrual has nothing to do with it moron. "

This is a stupid argument. WHo uses ONE day of vaction???????
    Having worked both shifts, the 12 hour shift needs less vaction. EVERY other week you ONLY work 2 days (Wed and THur). If you want a week off you only have to take those 2 days off and you have SEVEN days off. That is 24 hours of vaction compared to 40 for 7 days. ALSO the most days you have to work in a row is 3 days. THAT IS 36 hours to take the 3 days off for a total of SEVEN DAYS OFF... SO the argument of less vaction is used with 5 eights is completely false.

Re: vaction

Quote Originally Posted by guest1234
    "#3 12 hours shifts, 1 day offf = 12 hour vacation. 8 hour shifts 1 day off = 8 hours vacation. Accrual has nothing to do with it moron. "

This is a stupid argument. WHo uses ONE day of vaction???????
    Having worked both shifts, the 12 hour shift needs less vaction. EVERY other week you ONLY work 2 days (Wed and THur). If you want a week off you only have to take those 2 days off and you have SEVEN days off. That is 24 hours of vaction compared to 40 for 7 days. ALSO the most days you have to work in a row is 3 days. THAT IS 36 hours to take the 3 days off for a total of SEVEN DAYS OFF... SO the argument of less vaction is used with 5 eights is completely false.
    Okay, you created a falacious argument. Why? because you create one situation as if it stands for all situations.

I'm in the middle of my work week. My kid is sick. I need one day off. That costs me 12 hours of sick or comp time. Right or wrong? Right!!

Something comes up and the wife and I want to have a long weekend this weekend but I have to work Friday. So I take Friday off. That costs me 12 hours of vacation or comp. Right or wrong? Right!

Then there is this. You are too junior to get any part of the weekend off so I have to lose my weekends off right??? WRONG!!!

Screw you and thank you for playing "You are just too new to get weekends off" :snicker:

waaaaayyyyyyy

ok moron, you had to take off one day..... waaaayyyy. How often does that happen. ALL I was doing was giving another side of the argument. AND LIKE I said I have worked both, and with the 12 hours shifts I saw guys taking less vaction because you only work 14 freakin days a month. HOWEVER having worked both, I could care less either way. THE only argument you old timers EVER bring up when you are counter with a positive for 12's is "I did my time and it sucked now you should have too." waaaaayyyyy."

#1 Really?!?!? Reduced O/T??? Ask the JAIL about that smart guy. They can't keep there shifts staffed on 12's and have a ton of O/T and no one to work it. They are using more sick time than before!! You need to get your facts straight retard.

Just so you know I have been trying like hell to get O/T in South (where the 12's are) and I've been told that they haven't used any O/T for Days B in 6-8 months. Only on the rare occassion have I seen anyone working O/T on Days A which is where I work. So there are the facts as I have been told by a Sgt. and personally experienced.

And why is it that the only people you really hear cry about ME ME ME are the senior deps?

#1 The rest of the non-law enforcement world uses five - eight hour days to comprise a work week, try matching your days off to your spouses.

The rest of law enforcement alos used to use sticks and flashlights for uncoops. now there are tools that someone had to be the first to use. sounds like evolution to me.

#2 No chance of going to college with rotating days off unless you enjoy not sleeping.

sure its been done before by someone somewhere.

#3 To take a day off you burn 12 hours instead of 8.

true but for vac you get more days off with less vacat time used.

#4 Those of us with the seniority it takes to get weekends off would get screwed for no reason.

once again Me Me Me! so much for brotherhood.

#5 If you work nights (6pm - 6am) and have court at 1pm, when are sleeping? What if you have a new ASA that tells you to be there at 11am, when are you sleeping?

im sure you will get the time needed so dont be scared ok?

#6 Child care issues suck as they are now, they would only be made worse by having a 12 hour day.

good point but people in the jail can work it out and according to some posts on here about our intelligence level in the jail, it must not be that hard to figure something out.

#7 Eight hours is enough work for most of us before we lose focus. Tens are pushing it. Twelve hour days are inviting errors and safety risks.

so nice to hear that a LEO arriving at my house when i call for help is near the end of his shift, im pretty much screwed then right? cause 8 is your limit? come off it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast