ABT Hire
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ABT Hire

ABT Hire

I was looking at the state site and there seems to be several openings for your department. I have a 2 yaer degree,dual cert l.e. cor.,army vet and looking for a change. Can one of you guys give me a honest review of your job? I have been looking for a new place to call home....

Whether you come in as a Law Enforcement Investigator I or II depends on your law enforcement experience. It is not your traditional "police job." Agents are certainly sworn law officers with full police power, but the adminstration and statute will limit your area of responsibilty. You have regulatory authority over the alcoholic beverage business, and are rarely involved in anything outside that. The majority of your day will be filled with regulatory tasks such as checking retailers for underage compliance, administrative inspections, compliance inspections, and investigating licensees for violations of Beverage Law. For some insight check out chapters 561-569, Florida Statutes. Some offices get involved in more traditional crimes but it almost always centers around the "industry." The good things - depending on your point of view all the above (although some would argue that.) You can also count on a take home car, 12 week fto program, 3% state retirement (most non law enforcement employees get 1.6%) Uniforms and equipment furnished, fairly flexible work schedule (ABT is not a shift agency or a first response agency) so there is no 24/7 coverage like FHP, FWC, etc. The big offices have 20-25 agents. Most have less than half that. There are less than 200 sworn from the Director to the new guy.

If I understand you correctly, you're already Fl. State certified as a Police Officer...if not, ABT will not put you through the academy. If you live in this state, then you know the cost of living. In case you don't...it's high, and our pay doesn't go too far (depending on the area you reside in). There is no OT, and no step pay plan.

Aside from that, we get take-home cars, no regular uniform wear, off-duty jobs, and a flexible schedule. We work a myriad of duties, including:

1 - Inspections of licensed premises
    2 - Using minors to make buys of alcohol/cigarettes (subsequent arrests)
    3 - Investigations into unlicensed activity/license class violations
    4 - Undisclosed interests
    5 - Gambling
    6 - Prostitution
    7 - Narcotics

We serve our own warrants, and get to work with other agencies quite a bit.

Like anything else, it aint perfect, but it's not all bad.

Give it a shot, but if you don't like it, just don't blame me. :cop:

If I was you, go somewhere that you can make money and not have to deal with all of the nonsense that we have to put up with at this place. If I were you, try a big sheriffs office up north where the cost of living is cheap and you get all the same benefits. Some offices now have shift work at ABT and the trend will be all of them soon. Good luck with your search.

if someone runs you off the road, can you stop them? It says state officer on your cars, but i heard no traffic authority. Can you shed some light? I know it is not a primary mission of your agency, but can 316 still be used?

Chapter 316 enumerates which agencies canenforce traffic laws and ABT isnot one of them

I was issued a Uniform Traffic Citation book, and I assure you there are circumstances where I will issue a citation and have the backing of the agency. If you want the "right" to work traffic, you will be disappointed in your role with ABT. For comparison, I can't ever recall a FHP Trooper conducting a licensed premise inspection. Can they do it by statute? - yes. Agencies have differing roles to serve a purpose.

Tampa office

I live around the Tampa office, and would like to stay around this area.
    Most of my training is in corrections, I am Florida cert. l.e. just been working in the jail. I left the jail two years ago and transfered to Code Enforcement. I need a bit more of a challenge. I would like the investigation side and don't really think traffic is what my "free" time should be spent doing,like most big departments. How is the Tampa office? No gossip I just think Tampa must be pretty busy with all the events and sporting venues. Thanks

Tampa is a big office by ABT standards. They cover Hillsborough, Highlands, Pinellas, Hernando, Pasco, Polk, and Hardee Counties as I recall. There are many opportunities to shine and specialize. There is a supervisory captain and three lieutenants. The agents are divided up into squads. There are several good and experienced people in that office.

316.640 Enforcement.--The enforcement of the traffic laws of this state is vested as follows:

(1) STATE.--

(a)1.a. The Division of Florida Highway Patrol of the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles; the Division of Law Enforcement of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission; the Division of Law Enforcement of the Department of Environmental Protection; law enforcement officers of the Department of Transportation; and the agents, inspectors, and officers of the Department of Law Enforcement each have authority to enforce all of the traffic laws of this state on all the streets and highways thereof and elsewhere throughout the state wherever the public has a right to travel by motor vehicle.

There is the statute, if someone from ABT was issued a citation book they will have a long day in court!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast