Professional Courtesy - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Professional Courtesy

During my 23 years of service, I have yet to write another cop, nor a doctor, nor a nurse, nor the transit bus operator a ticket. I am proud of that! I have even had the opportunity to hop in a "brother's" personal car, because he has had too much to drink, and taken him home. I will not change my stance. A "brother, is a Brother", no matter what uniform he or she wears. Like they say, there are plenty of "scum-bags" out there, to have to write another fellow officer.

i concur

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Juliana...if you do become a cop, DO NOT EVER write another cop a ticket for chicken$hit traffic infractions! That is career suicide and you won't go far as a cop! A few posters here will tell you different BUT real cops know that any cop who will write their own is NO GOOD! Period! Hopefully you listen to what I am telling you!
    When I become a cop; I will use officer discretion. There is no difference between a speeding civilian and a speeding cop. Either one can cause an accident. However, I believe in giving warnings to people who have a decent driving record (cop or civilian). When I first started with the CCSO in 98', I was pulled over by one of our deputies and was not given a warning. In fact, I received my first ticket that day. I don't hold any hard feelings towards that deputy(even though he was really nasty to me) because I know I was wrong in doing what I did. Now when I catch myself speeding, I remember the day I got that ticket and it causes me to slow down. As for DUI- thats not something I would bend on at all. If I pulled someone over and they were driving under the influence (cop or not) they are going to face the consequences of their actions. On that note, If anyone is planning on drinking and they know they are too tanked to drive...CALL A FRIEND or CALL A CAB. It's something called COMMON SENSE. Hopefully you will listen to what I am telling you, Guest. I respect your opinion so please respect mine.

omg. the future of law enforcement does not look to hot.

omg. the future of law enforcement does not look to hot.
    You are right Guest; if you are in it then it doesn't look to hot! :lol:

You know what "Guest"? I apologize for my last statement. I am not one who would usually stoop down to your level of maturity. My bad! Hope you can forgive me. I will try to be the more mature one in this discussion. I still stand by my opinion. It's called Officer Discretion. It all depends on the situation in front of you and the circumstances surrounding it. Career suicide would be having the new cameras record you or me letting someone go who is completely plastered. Your opinion on this matter would probably be different if someone you knew and loved was killed by a drunk driver. I hope that is something you never have to deal with. However if that situation ever occurs, I will be there for you to lean on. Just give me a call and I will be there... :wink:

oh dear god, the view called and they want you back

oh dear god, the view called and they want you back
    Why do people feel compelled to belittle others?

Guest, she is an employee at CCSO, not some random citizen who happen to stumble upon this web site. Show some respect and compassion to family.

And people wonder why there is no more professional courtesy…

does her employment here make her any better than a "random citizen"?

To Guest who wants to belittle Julianna...
    While I personally disagree with her stance on professional courtesy, I think she has a perfect right to express her opinion whether she is a regular citizen, a civilian employee, or a certified member, and to express that opinion without snide comments comparing her to Rosie O'Donnell. Those comments tend to reflect more on the commentator than the target and if you are indeed an LEO, then I think you should be above that. Civilians whether or not employed by a law enforcement agency look at our jobs differently than we do and we need to keep that in mind. Twenty two years on the job teaches a lot and I'm happy to say that I've never had to write another cop a ticket and I'm just as happy to say that in the three times over that period that I've been stopped, I've not been given one either. Professional courtesy is a valid concept. I don't know of another profession that requires you, by policy, of reporting yourself to your supervisors for an off duty traffic violation, but law enforcement does, so extending a warning to another officer in lieu of a citation for a minor violation is something that I am happy to grant.
    Julianna, you are entitled to your opinions, but do not harshly judge officers who may give a ride home to another officer who may be DUI. Everyone makes mistakes. I personally have taken home a spouse of a county commissioner and the elected state attorney from a county in another state. Officer discretion told me that there was more to be served by that choice than by arrest. On the other hand, I have arrested people with so called "clout" because of their attitudes during the stop. All I'm asking you is to not be critical of an officer who gives a pass to another.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast