Use of Reserves to help fill shortages
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Use of Reserves to help fill shortages

In order to fill shortages, why don't the Sheriff use his reserve force more. He can make the new change be this, have more reserves deployed during the weekends and hours of high crime. Two reserve deputies patrolling together can cover more ground instead of just leaving that area of the zones uncovered. Deploy more reserves to high crime districts to beef up full time deputies. How many reserves does HCSO have, step up the recruitment of more citizens who would like to give back by serving as Reserves. No one is going to apply for this position if it's not advertised. Have the Colonels and the Sheriff sit down with Dr. Skotko or whom ever they are using for the psychologist and let him/her know what the department is looking for. Tell Dr. Skotko,the type of applicant we want, they as police executives know what it takes to be a deputy, not a psychologist. The reason I say this is because a applicant can come in and be a perfect fit for the job, but if the psyhcologist saying well "I" feel this person isn't suited for the position, your agency is going to find itself in the position that every agency in America is going through right now. Shortages!!!

Re: Use of Reserves to help fill shortages

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    In order to fill shortages, why don't the Sheriff use his reserve force more. He can make the new change be this, have more reserves deployed during the weekends and hours of high crime. Two reserve deputies patrolling together can cover more ground instead of just leaving that area of the zones uncovered. Deploy more reserves to high crime districts to beef up full time deputies. How many reserves does HCSO have, step up the recruitment of more citizens who would like to give back by serving as Reserves. No one is going to apply for this position if it's not advertised. Have the Colonels and the Sheriff sit down with Dr. Skotko or whom ever they are using for the psychologist and let him/her know what the department is looking for. Tell Dr. Skotko,the type of applicant we want, they as police executives know what it takes to be a deputy, not a psychologist. The reason I say this is because a applicant can come in and be a perfect fit for the job, but if the psyhcologist saying well "I" feel this person isn't suited for the position, your agency is going to find itself in the position that every agency in America is going through right now. Shortages!!!
    Good post, I think the Dr. and the staff should sit together on the review board and evaluate the applicant. They should look for a person that cares about people. The staff knows what to look for and if they don't they shouldn't be in that position. You are absolutely right. Again good post, thanks.

Two reserve deputies patrolling together can cover more ground instead of just leaving that area of the zones uncovered.

Tell Dr. Skotko,the type of applicant we want, they as police executives know what it takes to be a deputy, not a psychologist. The reason I say this is because a applicant can come in and be a perfect fit for the job, but if the psyhcologist saying well "I" feel this person isn't suited for the position, your agency is going to find itself in the position that every agency in America is going through right now. Shortages!!!
    1. I am under the impression that a Reserve II deputy must work with, and under the direction of a regular deputy. If so, you can't send out two Reserve II deputies together to patrol.

Of course Reserve I deputies can work alone - so you need not send them out in twos.

Accordingly, the value of Reserve IIs is to increase the show of force by having two deputies show up at a scene, (Regular LEO + Reserve II or Reserve I + Reserve II) not for increasing zone coverage.

The vast majority of the reserve deputies are Reserve IIs.

2. The psychological testing MUST be the same for reserves as for regular LEOs. You can't set a different standard for reserves. It is a liability issue. If there is a different psychological standard for Reserves then the validity of the standard for regular LEOs is in question.

The level of training can be less for Reserves, but not the psychological requirements.

The psychological testing is NOT about finding a person who "cares about people" to use the phrase in the post from senior leo.

---------------------------

Why do I feel that the original post was made by someone who applied to be a Reserve II and failed the psychological test and the post by senior leo was actually written by the same person?

:wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Born skeptic
    Two reserve deputies patrolling together can cover more ground instead of just leaving that area of the zones uncovered.

Tell Dr. Skotko,the type of applicant we want, they as police executives know what it takes to be a deputy, not a psychologist. The reason I say this is because a applicant can come in and be a perfect fit for the job, but if the psyhcologist saying well "I" feel this person isn't suited for the position, your agency is going to find itself in the position that every agency in America is going through right now. Shortages!!!
    1. I am under the impression that a Reserve II deputy must work with, and under the direction of a regular deputy. If so, you can't send out two Reserve II deputies together to patrol.

Of course Reserve I deputies can work alone - so you need not send them out in twos.

Accordingly, the value of Reserve IIs is to increase the show of force by having two deputies show up at a scene, (Regular LEO + Reserve II or Reserve I + Reserve II) not for increasing zone coverage.

The vast majority of the reserve deputies are Reserve IIs.

2. The psychological testing MUST be the same for reserves as for regular LEOs. You can't set a different standard for reserves. It is a liability issue. If there is a different psychological standard for Reserves then the validity of the standard for regular LEOs is in question.

The level of training can be less for Reserves, but not the psychological requirements.

The psychological testing is NOT about finding a person who "cares about people" to use the phrase in the post from senior leo.

---------------------------

Why do I feel that the original post was made by someone who applied to be a Reserve II and failed the psychological test and the post by senior leo was actually written by the same person?

:wink:
    Yes two RII's can ride together. They do it in DIII all the time. The rule is a RII has to ride with a regular dep or ride two to a car.

Depending on the actual reserve, some take a lot of NRE calls when they are out there and it helps a lot.

If you are an AI RII you can ride by yourself, which is done a lot in DIII too.

Thanks for the clarification.

I've been away from the road (and working with reserves) for a long, long time.

What's your view on the proposal that reserves could be allowed to pass a less stringent psychological test than regular LEOs?

As the original poster, I was not saying that the Reserves should be put through a toned down psych test. I was saying that the psychologist needs to know what the Sheriff and chiefs are looking for, not what he is looking for. It is not a liability issue, there are departments who do not even use psychologist.

RII Dep -

Quote Originally Posted by Born skeptic.
    Thanks for the clarification.

I've been away from the road (and working with reserves) for a long, long time.

What's your view on the proposal that reserves could be allowed to pass a less stringent psychological test than regular LEOs?
    I'm an RII Deputy and I think the psychological test should be the very same as for regular Deputies. I've been involved some pretty serious situations out there. When out on the streets, there is very little difference between a Regular Deputy and RII Deputies.

I partner with another RII Deputy and work about 80 hours a month.
    I think we are helping out the regular Deputies by handling many NRE calls as well as X94s, Alarms, 911s etc...

There are times when we get a call to X94 another Deputy for a s/38 and we are there before they are. We have diffused situations by the time they got there and saved the regular Deputy a lot of time from being wasted.

All I'm saying is, when on the streets, dealing with calls, people and situations, there's really no difference.

Although it can be a fun challenge to get involved in these situations, it is certainly not a game. I personally take what I do very seriously.

And I think you may be right...One Poster, two different posts on the same thread.

While I do not have access to my SOP's at the time, I question the response regarding the ability of two RII's riding together without direct supervision of a deputy in other than a traffic blitz. Before we take that as gospel, it should be researched and I plan on doing that tomorrow!

While I do not have access to my SOP's at the time, I question the response regarding the ability of two RII's riding together without direct supervision of a deputy in other than a traffic blitz. Before we take that as gospel, it should be researched and I plan on doing that tomorrow!
    It is disturbing that you don't have your SOP's available to you at all times. It is possible to become embroiled in an Internal Affairs investigation while you are offduty at home or God forbid drivng your personal vehicle after enjoying a ****tail.

Does anyone know if the standards as set forth for hiring a regular deputy is the same for hiring a reserve?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast