$7.5 million cut 75 positions - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

to the uninformed

To Wow:
    Specialty squad vehicles aren't purchased with City funds - they are either grant-funded or forfeited vehicles, mostly grant funded. Air Service is invaluable when we have to break off pursuits (residential neighborhoods, etc.) and the bad guy thinks he's getting away. They help find stolen cars, and also keep the pesky media out of the way during hostage/crisis situations. I've been up with those guys several times - they aren't playing up there - they are working, and trying to do 3 things at once. It seemed like half the time between Radio and patrol, they are getting 2 different sets of information.
    As for the Marine Unit - I have to pretty much agree, except I have seen them catch a few "BUI's" and speeding jet skis near Davis Island - oh, and I think they pulled a dead body last year.

In response to WOW,
    Don't know if you've seen all the eqipment that Bomb, Dive and TRT carry (especially since 911) but there is no way that it'll fit in the trunk of a Crown Vic, impossible. It also causes the vehicle to sit heavy in the rear end which causes serious handling problems. In todays modern law enforcement the SUV's are not all luxury as you might think, they're a necessity.

First to Mr. WOW. You need to get your facts straight about the cost of the Aviation unit. Number one, you are flat wrong about the $12 million a year supposedly spent out here. I wish our budget was 12 million. We could keep a helicopter in the air 24/7 like LAPD. That would make "Mr what" happy, but I think he's one of those that complains about everything.

All of our aircraft, except one, were aquired with federal monies either through a grant program or military surplus. This includes all the equipment on the helicopters such as cameras, moving map etc. As a result, our budget is for operation, maintenance and insurance. We have reduced our operating costs by reducing of the number of flight hours we fly per shift (that's why "Mr. what" feels we are always late). I can remember the days when every shift at air service was required to fly 5.5 patrol hours. That's 16.5 hours per day, every day. Now our requirements are 2 patrol hours for day shift, 2 for evening shift and 4 for midnights. You obviously have never done a ride a long with us, or you would be better informed. I invite you and any officer to come out and ride with us. We would happily answer any and all questions you might have.

Now "Mr. what", you feel we are always late. Well if you read the first part of my post, you know why it seems that way. If we were in the air 24/7, then I guess that might satisfy you. Getting the helicopter in the air is nothing like jumping in a crown vic and speeding to a call. Why don't you come out for a ride along and I'll show you exactly what it takes for me to get airborne as quickly as I can. you can even time me.

As for the camera system being used for the only purpose of catching cops make mistakes, I guess the 2 officers in sector E who had a complaint filed on them by a fellow officer would disagree with you. The air service video showed exactly what happened, result complaint dismissed.

Finally, contrary to what you believe, air service is not "fat". We are looking at trying to reduce costs without a major reduction in the service we provide. And we do provide a service. Anyone that knows me, knows that I try to provide the best service possible without exception. I appreciate each every officer on B cycle I work with, and am completely satisfied and thrilled with the level of cooperation provided me. I am signing my name so you know who I am. Feel free to stop by the hanger and talk with me anytime.

Jeff Gray
    AIR 4

Jeff, I have had the opportunity to fly with both you and Todd on A cycle. I can't count how many times you guys have helped me and others I work with.

Remember, there are alot of us out here who appreciate the work you guys do with budget cuts and reduced flight hours. Don't let one jerks voice spoil the fine work you all do out there.

Thanks for your service!

Air 4

Jeff,

What is the requirment these days for getting to Air Service?? I know years ago it was mainly if you were intrested....and a private license would help of course.

SA

Air service is not worthless.
    Just ask Randy Davis or the three code officers (including a female) that got their a##es rescued out of the projects.
    You only think they are worthless until you need em.
    Then when you need em, they are priceless.
    Just like how people feel about us sometimes.

I've been here over ten years, and I've never seen air service catch anyone. I can remember times that it was nice to have them, but when you weigh the cost-to-benefit.. I can't see it making sense at all. To those who think multi-million dollar helicopters are worth it, ask yourself how many times air service has really "saved the day". If anyone says more than three times over a decade I would gladly question you openly in roll call. In addition, if they are really that important, they city would buy them, but instead, we get them through grants. If the grants wouldn't have gone through, those pilots would be pushing blue and whites.

I've been here over ten years, and I've never seen air service catch anyone. I can remember times that it was nice to have them, but when you weigh the cost-to-benefit.. I can't see it making sense at all. To those who think multi-million dollar helicopters are worth it, ask yourself how many times air service has really "saved the day". If anyone says more than three times over a decade I would gladly question you openly in roll call. In addition, if they are really that important, they city would buy them, but instead, we get them through grants. If the grants wouldn't have gone through, those pilots would be pushing blue and whites.
    Thanks for stirring the pot aszwipe! Can't you do anything positive with your worthless existence? Answering your post with an intelligent response would only lower my high standards as a professional. SQUERREL!

idiot

Some of these posts are just unreal......... Air Service is one of the best and most valuable tools at this Dept. To ANYONE who has been here ten years and NEVER heard a T15 get caught because of air service ( I hear it all the time) then you are truley a disgusting, sorry puke and terrible example of a cop. It makes me sick to even think I work with someone so F'n stupid. In ten years you have never seen it??????????? are you actually kidding me?
    some of you guys are absolutely worthless............... It must be hard to see anyone including air service go T15 when you are sitting in your car like a coward while your brothers are out looking for the bad guy.

I've been here over ten years, and I've never seen air service catch anyone. I can remember times that it was nice to have them, but when you weigh the cost-to-benefit.. I can't see it making sense at all. To those who think multi-million dollar helicopters are worth it, ask yourself how many times air service has really "saved the day". If anyone says more than three times over a decade I would gladly question you openly in roll call. In addition, if they are really that important, they city would buy them, but instead, we get them through grants. If the grants wouldn't have gone through, those pilots would be pushing blue and whites
    You are so clueless - it is sad. You must sleep at the wheel, or turn your radio down. Maybe you haven't seen Air Service catch anyone, because they move faster than you, go places you can't, and your car is in park! They have caught drug dealers or other criminals tossing evidence out of a car window (on video) when officers hadn't caught up yet numerous times. As for your idiotic suggestion that "if they are really that important, the city would buy them, but instead, we get them through grants." - that makes ZERO sense. Zero. Grant money is FREE money from the federal government and various programs. If TPD didn't get it, another agency would. Why in the world would we buy something (especially something so expensive) that we can get for free. I'm stunned at the lack of knowledge, and that someone with such a lack of knowledge would insult a specialized group that obviously has such specialized skills and training like Air Service. (No, I don't work for Air Service, but I have ridden with them twice.)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast