Lets all bend over and get ready

Lets all bend over and get ready

The return of all three incumbents to Coral Gables City Hall last week could be seen as a blow to members of the city's police union, which has been battling for a new contract for nearly two years and campaigned hard for challengers in two of the three races.

''We didn't have anything to lose,'' said Officer Eugene Gibbons, president of the Coral Gables Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 7, which worked especially hard to unseat Mayor Don Slesnick.

City Manager David Brown would not discuss the details of the city's offer with a Miami Herald reporter.

''I'm not going to bargain in the newspaper,'' he said.

But Gibbons told The Miami Herald that the city has offered a wage increase only if officers contribute at least 5 percent of their salaries to the pension fund, as general employees and firefighters have been contributing since 2003.

The union has offered to contribute 7 percent to the pension fund if the city provides a 3 percent wage increase this year and next, but city administrators balked at that.

Said Brown: ``There comes a point when you meet and you meet and you bargain and you bargain, and sometimes you just have to agree to disagree. We just can't seem to make the two sides meet.''

Commission incumbents Slesnick, Wayne ''Chip'' Withers and William ''Bill'' Kerdyk were sworn in Friday amid a standing-room only crowd of supporters. They said the comfortable leads in all three races show voters support the city's track record on police negotiations and other issues.

''The entire commission should take this as a sign that we are leading the city in the right direction,'' Kerdyk said.

Kerdyk said he wants to focus on the potential acquisition of park land, improving the trolley system and downtown landscaping. He also wants to step up the improvements at the building department, where allegations of corruption and fraud have been investigated since last September.

''My first priority is working on the building department and making sure that that gets much more fluid and technologically savvy and on the cutting edge,'' Kerdyk said Friday.

But negotiations with the police union will remain a primary issue. The FOP's bargaining unit will meet with the city Human Resources Director Marjorie Adler and labor attorney Jim Crosland later this month.

Slesnick, who won with about 57 percent of the vote over two challengers, was angered by the FOP's tactics -- including mailers, an ad in The Miami Herald and automated phone calls to residents claiming there was a ''crisis'' in the city -- and said the strategy backfired.

''The fact of the matter is they sort of dug their own hole and now they are in it,'' Slesnick said. ``But you know what? My obligation is to do the right thing, and the right thing incorporates the best I can do for the employees, as well as the taxpayers, and to keep trying to do that no matter how distressed I may be by their accusations.''

While the FOP clearly wanted to have the leverage of new leadership on the commission -- they also campaigned for Omar Pasalodos, who lost to Withers -- Brown said the election results will have no impact on the ongoing negotiations.

Kerdyk, not targeted by FOP officers on Election Day, said he felt the city had been fair to the union.

''The city has made some very good offers, and I don't know if the city is going to embellish upon them. I know that where we left the last negotiation, we felt we gave a good counter offer,'' he said.

''I'll try to do what's in the best interest of the residents,'' Brown said Thursday. ``We're going to bargain in good faith and try to come to an agreement.''

That article made it sound like you guys do not contribute anything toward your pension. Is that true?

What is your starting pay and what are your step raises?

That article made it sound like you guys do not contribute anything toward your pension. Is that true?

What is your starting pay and what are your step raises?

Try this one

You can work in a certain city in Broward County and contribute 10.5% instead...

Coral Gables officers don't contribute to their retirement ?

Contribution

Read the below quote again please,

"But Gibbons told The Miami Herald that the city has offered a wage increase only if officers contribute at least 5 percent of their salaries to the pension fund, as general employees and firefighters have been contributing since 2003.

The union has offered to contribute 7 percent to the pension fund if the city provides a 3 percent wage increase this year and next, but city administrators balked at that."

Since the last contract which was forced upon the FOP 3 years ago, CGPD officers were contributing 5% toward their pension, but, last year, they demanded their entire contribution back due to the city was in breech of contract. This caused a lot of animosity between the two entities which brings us here today.

Three years have gone by without a new contract, raise, benefit, or even thanks for doing such a great job! Last week HR Director Marg Adler retracted the latest unacceptable contract offer by the city. FOP 7 Members have always stated they don't mind contributing up to 7%, but, according to state law, they MUST receive a benefit in return. The city's offers have all fallen short. General employees aren't governed by the same rules and laws as police and fire.

CG Fire union has been poorly represented by incompetent leaders, and, hastily accepted, and, entered into an illegal contract with the city. The firefighters turned their backs on their CGPD brothers, and climbed into bed with the Mayor. They don't even realize they are being played for fools by the city, and, have been contributing and operating under an illegal contract.

Don't worry, the day of reckoning by The State of Florida will soon be upon the city and CGFD! God Bless America!

Quote from FOP President Gene Gibbons

I found the following quote in Miami.suprapost.com by FOP Lodge 7 President Gibbons. He's responding to "Cheshire Cat" and very clearly and eloquently explains the aforementioned subject. Please read on.

"There is nothing more that I would like then fair treatment. The City has been attacking its police since we collectively decided to take our pension money back. This was done only after the City "stiffed" us on a written deal in our contract (5% contribution for a Cost of Living Benefit). Once the City had our money they balked at any offers and actually told me "there isn't going to be any additional benefits and you need to look the other way on this one" (your City leadership mentality these days). The City's arrogance, deception and underestimation of my character is/was a complete affront to my membership and myself.

The City then decided to send David Brown to meet with me and my vice-president in a last ditch effort to "INTIMADATE" and "frighten" our membership with an overt threat of labor "WAR". (this is all factual as is everything I write here and can be obtained from our PERC (Public Employee Relations Commission, I challenge you to challenge my facts) hearing records and David's very own testimony. It is no secret that Mayor Slesnick is a labor attorney (25+yrs representing UNIONS) and that he is the "go to guy" on the Commission when it comes to dealing with us (it only makes sense). I have been in front of the Commission both publicly (remember the Clowns) and privately numerous times over the past 2 years and have been respectfully requesting they curtail Dave Brown's unprofessional antics and refusal to negotiate with any real offers so we may engage in professional amicable negotiations. The City's offers to date have been nothing but simple crap and ridiculous fiscal loss to the employee which would set them back 5-7 years in overall finance. (0% wage increases, and the employee surrender 5% of their gross pay, surely you can see the inequity here??)

In August the Union submitted a very fair deal to the City. The deal involved our membership contributing 7% of their pay to the pension system and in return we would receive a greater pension benefit. Florida Pension law requires this. (fimiliarize yourself with Chapter 185 Florida law). To date, the City has turned down this very fair offer for unknown illogical business reasons, they only cite "philosophy" as the reason for the rejection, now I ask you, what business does philosophy play in a bargaining situation/finance?? I submit to you, the underlying intent is/was to mistreat and INTIMIDATE the police for being zealous in their pursuit of equity and fairness??

Next, let me correct you on your version/interpretation of what I said in the paper. I did say the exercise of our First Amendment rights may have intimadated some as an unfortunate side effect. Anyone with a working brain cell would recognize that 80+ people chanting on a side walk holding signs who are clearly and justifiably upset might intimidate some especially those who they are heart of the dispute. Said another way, our goal was not to intimidate but to express our frustration and displeasure with the City's tactics and mistreatment of our Union membership. As you very well know, we can't not control what anyone feels especially the other side. The City ultimately controls the tempo of negotiations (they have the purse, $$), they are the ones to blame for the disruption. But for their mistreatment and hardlining positioning, the protest would never had happened.

As for benefits, our police department is ranked in South Florida (Miami Dade and Broward Counties) 14th in total benefits when compared to other municipalities. Coral Gables residents expect the utmost professional service when it comes from their police, and they get it. The Gables Police Officer is bar none the most educated and professional police officer in South Florida, the FOP only wishes to see them move closer to the top when it comes to benefits and will always fight to get there. Especially when some of our City leaders choose to turn their backs on them and treat them (via their Union) unfairly and unprofessionally so that they may free up more money so that they can be more selfserving to their special interest groups."

Quote from FOP President Gene Gibbons

Wow! I'm absolutely flabbergasted after reading Gene's response letter! I would never imagine a City Manager, like Dave Brown, could take a position so immature, and, narrow minded, especially during a PERC hearing! Gene is also right about Mayor Don Slesnick. He's definitely at the heart of the matter. He's one of the best labor attorney's in S. Florida, but, he's working against labor in your case. Gene Gibbons sounds intelligent, and will represent the FOP well, but, will definitely have his work cut out for him. By the way, it's spelled; "INTIMIDATE."('ops I'm really shocked and surprised Coral Gables residents haven't been picketing in front of City Hall on this issue. To my knowledge, Coral Gables PD's high level of customer service has not diminished. I personally know a few CGPD officers, and, most have above average levels of education, intelligence, class, self-respect, pride, integrity, and dignity. What more could you ask for? Oh yes, they also love doing their jobs! Those are rare qualities that should never be ignored or abused by depriving them of what is theirs, and what is fair. Coral Gables residents expect and demand the best from their police force. As with everything, it comes with a price tag. Residents need to make this crystal clear with City Hall, as, I would expect nothing less from my own constituents.

Gene Gibbons

I agree! Gene IS the best FOP union president EVER!!! We (CGPD) stand behind him 100%, and those city hall clowns know it!! Gene isn't even afraid to admonish CGPD staff when they are messing up. You should read some of his internal emails :twisted:

So miami dade county is cutting civilian jobs without touchung the police budget. I guess the city of coral gables is not smart enough to do the same. idiots. This city sucks.