Sarasota County SRO's

Sarasota County SRO's

Hillsborough, Manatee and Sarasota SRO's have their hands full right now with all the craziness going on within our schools locally. I ran into one of the Sarasota guys the other day and I am curious as to why you all cannot carry tasers on your campus's? This is a day and age in which SAFETY IS FIRST ! My personal opinion, especially since i have already been part of an altercation/arrest with a parent that turned physical, is that ALL law enforcement should have them. Is there a reason why the Sarasota guys dont have them? I was just curious. We couldnt survive in Hillsborough without them!

Sarasota SROs Taserless!!

Sheriff Bill Balkwill does not want to OFFEND the community. After all, kids would never confront a Law Enforcement Officer!!(Or their PARENTS!)
    :evil: :evil: :devil:

Re: Sarasota SROs Taserless!!

Quote Originally Posted by Laural GUy
    Sheriff Bill Balkwill does not want to OFFEND the community. After all, kids would never confront a Law Enforcement Officer!!(Or their PARENTS!)
    :evil: :evil: :devil:
    What if your guys are working special assignments, details or overtime shifts?? I think that is seriously retarted! Wait till their is a major school incident that occurs where a taser could have been used and someone is shot. Then, your Sheriff may change his mind!

Well Gus,

We have to work details without tasers-----but wait, 3 or 4 of our SROs just got issued tasers due to budget cuts, they are back working a zone :shock: :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Well Gus,

We have to work details without tasers-----but wait, 3 or 4 of our SROs just got issued tasers due to budget cuts, they are back working a zone :shock: :roll:
    Marion S/O just had an incident at one of their middle schools in which a parent got into a fight with the SRO who had no taser - broke the SRO's nose, several deep cuts. The SRO drew down and was going to take a shot before the parent got on the ground to be cuffed. I understand it was REAL close! Your Sheriff should reconsider the tasers on the campus because it will be too late once someone is shot! At least carry the tasers and make a rule that no kids will be tazed ! Better to be safe than sorry and it is asinine to not have one in this day and age!

I agree, I think all LEO's should carry a taser, regardless of where they work. It is a secondary, less lethal weapon. I am in a middle school and some of these kids are 6'5" and 250lbs, I'm not fighting them, I'm tasering them regardless of there age. If they want to fight me like an adult, then they can be tasered like an adult. Point is, I'm going home at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinellas SRO
    I agree, I think all LEO's should carry a taser, regardless of where they work. It is a secondary, less lethal weapon. I am in a middle school and some of these kids are 6'5" and 250lbs, I'm not fighting them, I'm tasering them regardless of there age. If they want to fight me like an adult, then they can be tasered like an adult. Point is, I'm going home at the end of the day.
    I agree with you 100%! But since we do not have them, when one that size gets ahold of me, he will be shot; then the rules will change!

Quote Originally Posted by SRO
    I agree with you 100%! But since we do not have them, when one that size gets ahold of me, he will be shot; then the rules will change!

We are sliding down FAST !!!! By next year, we wont have any SRO's in the schools. Thank you Charlie Crist ! Our program hasn't been doing that well anyways. Our leader (LT) will make you call him for almost anything! He hasn't been a real cop in years but yet he wants to make the final decisions on everything from baker acts (small kids) to arrests (high school). Anyhow, maybe its time to go back to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by SRO
    Wow, shooting a kid for getting into a scuffle? I guess the Use of Force model doesn't apply to you, does it? It might be time for you to consider a change in careers....

Re: Sarasota County SRO's

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7b5CKSqlz60&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7b5CKSqlz60&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>