How and will the John Coffin case affect mso
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How and will the John Coffin case affect mso

Does this mean if there is a civil suit, that we will drug through the dirt over him again? What are your opinions on this?

Re: How and will the John Coffin case affect mso

Quote Originally Posted by what now?
    Does this mean if there is a civil suit, that we will drug through the dirt over him again? What are your opinions on this?
    Sorry, I meant to say do you think we will BE drug through the dirt over him again. :wink:

Re: How and will the John Coffin case affect mso

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by what now?
    Sorry, I meant to say do you think we will BE drug through the dirt over him again. :wink:
    NO, I DON'T BELIEVE SO AT ALL, WHAT WAS DONE WAS DONE ON OUR PART..........

anyone care to explain what the case is?

I don't know all of the details, but, this guy Coffin was charged with like 5 or 6 charges in sarasota county. I guess the SSO was trying to serve some sort of civil papers to their residence and all hell broke loose. I guess Coffin won and 5 of the charges were dropped, and he only got time served of 8 days in jail for the last one and wasn't convicted guilty on it.
    I have no clue why MSO would be involved, though...

Anyone care to shed some light?

Quote Originally Posted by Dunno?!?
    I don't know all of the details, but, this guy Coffin was charged with like 5 or 6 charges in sarasota county. I guess the SSO was trying to serve some sort of civil papers to their residence and all hell broke loose. I guess Coffin won and 5 of the charges were dropped, and he only got time served of 8 days in jail for the last one and wasn't convicted guilty on it.

A high ranking MSO deputy mis-read John Coffin's license plate and thought it was stolen, so he stopped him. Coffin got out and challenged the deputy and a pissing match ensured, resulting in Coffin's arrest.

Or something like that.

All the news that's fit to print

[quote=patrol 101]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dunno?!?":4tnzjczd
    [/quote:4tnzjczd]

Sarasota Herald-Tribune (FL)
    March 5, 1997
    The state attorney's office ruled Tuesday that the fatal shooting Jan. 31 of a Bradenton man by members of the Manatee County Sheriff's Office SWAT team was justifiable. Five members of the Special Weapons and Tactics Team were cleared in the incident, in which [the suspect] was shot 32 times. Sgt. Wayne Wyckoff, Special Agent Bill Jordan, Deputy Robert Tucker, Sgt. Robert Degitz and Det. Tom Doughty fired." Prior to being shot, the suspect said he was “a confidential informant for the Sheriff’s DELTA unit.”
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

My bad, wrong article! Wyckoff was the DELTA boob who went to prison in 2001 for civil rights violations. Here’s the story you’re looking for:

Sarasota Herald-Tribune
    October 9, 2005
    The nightmare for John Coffin and his sister Barbara Parsons began on a Halloween night two years ago as they drove home after a hospital visit with their ailing mother.

As Coffin approached his sister's Bradenton home, a sheriff's cruiser pulled up, lights flashing. Deputy Grant Steube made a traffic stop because he thought the car's license tag was fake.

He realized later that he was wrong.

When Coffin got out of his car to talk with Steube, things quickly fell apart. Within minutes, Steube sprayed Coffin in the face with Mace and clubbed him several times with a metal rod called an asp. "He was like a mad animal coming out of a cage," said Parsons, 53, a retired bookkeeper who has lived in Bradenton for nearly 30 years. "He was like a monster in a horror movie."

Coffin and Parsons were arrested and spent the night in jail. Neither had been arrested before, their attorneys say. Coffin, 55, a burly heart patient who manages rental properties, was charged with a felony, resisting arrest with violence. Parsons reportedly interfered with deputies and was charged with resisting arrest without violence, a misdemeanor.

Prosecutors soon dropped the charges, saying the state cannot prosecute a person following a deputy's mistake.

Coffin and Parsons are suing Steube in federal court, claiming he attacked Coffin for no reason, a violation of his civil rights.

They also claim sheriff's officials didn't thoroughly investigate the incident because Steube, 23, is the son of Col. Brad Steube, the second-highest-ranking officer in the Manatee County Sheriff's Office.
    "I can say to you unequivocally that there is no truth to that," Sheriff Charlie Wells said. "If we had a deputy who violated policy, we would we deal with that, of course."

Grant and Brad Steube both declined to comment.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Re: All the news that's fit to print

[quote=Paper of Record][quote="patrol 101":1rj24awx]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dunno?!?":1rj24awx
    Sarasota Herald-Tribune (FL)
    March 5, 1997
    The state attorney's office ruled Tuesday that the fatal shooting Jan. 31 of a Bradenton man by members of the Manatee County Sheriff's Office SWAT team was justifiable. Five members of the Special Weapons and Tactics Team were cleared in the incident, in which [the suspect] was shot 32 times. Sgt. Wayne Wyckoff, Special Agent Bill Jordan, Deputy Robert Tucker, Sgt. Robert Degitz and Det. Tom Doughty fired." Prior to being shot, the suspect said he was “a confidential informant for the Sheriff’s DELTA unit.”
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

My bad, wrong article! Wyckoff was the DELTA boob who went to prison in 2001 for civil rights violations. Here’s the story you’re looking for:

Sarasota Herald-Tribune
    October 9, 2005
    The nightmare for John Coffin and his sister Barbara Parsons began on a Halloween night two years ago as they drove home after a hospital visit with their ailing mother.

As Coffin approached his sister's Bradenton home, a sheriff's cruiser pulled up, lights flashing. Deputy Grant Steube made a traffic stop because he thought the car's license tag was fake.

He realized later that he was wrong.

When Coffin got out of his car to talk with Steube, things quickly fell apart. Within minutes, Steube sprayed Coffin in the face with Mace and clubbed him several times with a metal rod called an asp. "He was like a mad animal coming out of a cage," said Parsons, 53, a retired bookkeeper who has lived in Bradenton for nearly 30 years. "He was like a monster in a horror movie."

Coffin and Parsons were arrested and spent the night in jail. Neither had been arrested before, their attorneys say. Coffin, 55, a burly heart patient who manages rental properties, was charged with a felony, resisting arrest with violence. Parsons reportedly interfered with deputies and was charged with resisting arrest without violence, a misdemeanor.

Prosecutors soon dropped the charges, saying the state cannot prosecute a person following a deputy's mistake.

Coffin and Parsons are suing Steube in federal court, claiming he attacked Coffin for no reason, a violation of his civil rights.

They also claim sheriff's officials didn't thoroughly investigate the incident because Steube, 23, is the son of Col. Brad Steube, the second-highest-ranking officer in the Manatee County Sheriff's Office.
    "I can say to you unequivocally that there is no truth to that," Sheriff Charlie Wells said. "If we had a deputy who violated policy, we would we deal with that, of course."

Grant and Brad Steube both declined to comment.

wow, now I'm really confused.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    [/quote:1rj24awx][/quote:1rj24awx]

[quote=patrol 101]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dunno?!?":30dckjom

A high ranking MSO deputy mis-read John Coffin's license plate and thought it was stolen, so he stopped him. Coffin got out and challenged the deputy and a pissing match ensured, resulting in Coffin's arrest.

Or something like that.[/quote:30dckjom]

Really? So now I understand why there is so much chatter about what will happen next with everything that happened with the SSO. I didn't know there was an incident with MSO too. If the deputy misread the plate, why was there an incident?

More like he ran for the house from the stop. Any other LO would have reacted the same way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast