The following is part of an article that will be featured in the April issue of American Police Beat magazine (http://www.apbweb.com/). For more information you can also go to http://www.13minutes.org/:

34 AMERICAN POLICE BEAT: APRIL 2007

Thirteen Minutes, the whole story

Speculation, rumor and political expedience land an honest cop in jail

Former Cincinnati Police Officer Blaine Jorg was one of the two officers indicted for the death of Roger Owensby, Jr., on November 7, 2000.

The incident was on the front pages of the country’s newspapers and the lead story on the evening news for weeks. After seven years, Blaine Jorg is finally breaking his silence and has written a book where he tells his
side of the story.

Three years in the making, 13 Minutes, dispels several myths that persist about a case that inflamed passions in a city with a long history of strained race relations. It’s a deeply personal story of an honest, dedicated cop who lived through a nightmare which started the night he chased and wrestled a suspect drug dealer who had previously assaulted another officer and fled from the police.

It’s a story his lawyers would not let him tell as they dealt with lawsuit after lawsuit in the wake of Roger Owensby’s death.

Thirteen Minutes, exposes the ineptness and cowardice of several high ranking public officials as well as some members of the press as they offered up Blaine Jorg as the sacrificial lamb to pacify the community. He was indicted on January 4, 2001. During the following 12 months, crime in Cincinnati increased dramatically while arrests plummeted.

Officer Jorg was accused of killing the suspect with a Marine-style choke hold but the coroner’s report was confusing and later evidence surfaced that the coroner was merely “speculating.”

The numerous civilian and police witnesses never saw Officer Jorg use a choke hold. The one witness testifying that she saw the offi cer choke the suspect was a long-time drug addict whose statements and testimony were contradictory.

The suspect’s family received a settlement of $7,500,000 from the city.

Reviews of the book have been superb.

“Thanks for your strength to write this book . It is a must read and it truly inspired me,” Robin Kraemer of the Cincinnati Police Dept. said.

“I recently purchased your book and couldn’t put it down,” said Shawn Dunlap of the Orlando, Florida Police Department. “I have recommended it to every police offi cer I know. Your story is one I will never forget.”

And Keith Fangman the former president of the Cincinnati Fraternal Order of Police said, “Every police officer and their spouse should read this book.”

13 Minutes tells a gripping story of a young offi cer’s ordeal that changed his life and pushed him to the brink of suicide. Today, Blaine says it was only his strong faith in God that got him through the ordeal. He is presently studying to become a member of the clergy. To order 13 Minutes, go to www.13minutes.org or send $19.95 to: 13 Minutes, 3400 Fairfield Street, The Villages, FL 32162.