Sheriff Wells
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheriff Wells

Sheriff Wells

Sir, It has been an honor and a priviledge. thank you for the best 12 years of my career.

Posted Tuesday, 3/13/7, 11:45 a.m.

SHERIFF CHARLIE WELLS
    ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

BRADENTON, Florida [NMT] -- Sheriff Charlie Wells has announced his retirement as Sheriff of Manatee County, effective April 2, 2007.

Manatee County Sheriff
    Charlie Wells

Sheriff Wells, 62, was elected in 1984, and took office on January 5, 1985; he was re-elected in 1988, 1992, 1996, and 2000. He is the longest serving sheriff in the history of Manatee County, with a total tenure of 22 years. He was formerly a Florida State Highway Patrol Trooper, a State Attorney Investigator, and the Bradenton Police Chief.

Sheriff Wells is credited with several pioneering projects for the betterment of Manatee County, including Stop Turning Out Prisoners, Boot Camp, Police Athletic League, School Resource Deputy Program, Child Protection Services, and Victims First. During his terms of office, the new jail complex was built and the agency became nationally accredited in both corrections and law enforcement.

Sheriff Wells has been a dedicated and passionate public servant for the citizens of Manatee County and a committed leader for the employees of the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office.

Sheriff Wells has submitted his retirement letter to Governor Charlie Crist, who will appoint Sheriff Wells’ replacement.

Is the Sheriff no longer an elected position? Wells was elected from '84 to '00 every four years. What about '04 and now the election of a "new" Sheriff for '08. I know Gov. Crist is appointing a Sheriff, which is what perked my curiosity.

Thanks,
    JD

Stiff-the-voters-Wells

:?: Registered voters took the trouble to elect Sheriff Wells. Now he’s resigning before his term’s up? It looks like manipulative, shameful circumvention of the elected office. He’s propping his #2 to take office without an election. Then when #2 faces voters during normal elections, he’s already the unbeatable incumbent. Finish what you started, Sheriff Wells. We elected you for a 4-year term. Let #2 run for office the honest way AFTER YOUR TERM IS EXPIRED.

If anyone else feels the same way, contact Gov. Crist’s office. Why would we possibly want a #2 who got the job in a sneaky, underhanded, cra p p y way? Pizz poor legacy to leave, Sheriff Wells, you sorry azz quitter. Is your hand-picked successor a cheater too?

Re: Stiff-the-voters-Wells

Quote Originally Posted by JD
    Is the Sheriff no longer an elected position? Wells was elected from '84 to '00 every four years. What about '04 and now the election of a "new" Sheriff for '08. I know Gov. Crist is appointing a Sheriff, which is what perked my curiosity.

Thanks,
    JD
    If an elected sheriff has served less than 2 years of his tour, then another election is held. If a sheriff has served more than 2 years of his tour, then the governor appoints a new sheriff, per the Florida constitution. Charlie Wells has served over 2 years, so the governor has a responsibility to appoint an intrim sheriff.

Quote Originally Posted by cheaters & quitters b
    :?: Registered voters took the trouble to elect Sheriff Wells. Now he’s resigning before his term’s up? It looks like manipulative, shameful circumvention of the elected office. He’s propping his #2 to take office without an election. Then when #2 faces voters during normal elections, he’s already the unbeatable incumbent. Finish what you started, Sheriff Wells. We elected you for a 4-year term. Let #2 run for office the honest way AFTER YOUR TERM IS EXPIRED.

If anyone else feels the same way, contact Gov. Crist’s office. Why would we possibly want a #2 who got the job in a sneaky, underhanded, cra p p y way? Pizz poor legacy to leave, Sheriff Wells, you sorry azz quitter. Is your hand-picked successor a cheater too?
    Rumors are circulating that Sheriff William F. Balkwill in Sarasota County is going to do the exact same thing as Sheriff Charlie Wells. Balkwill will then recommend to Governor Crist that Chief Deputy Larry Dunklee be appointed as the intrim sheriff of Sarasota County.

Sarasota will be watching Manatee very closely.

fruits, nuts and politicians

In Manatee we erased the word “fair” from our vocabulary long ago. Half-Term Charlie worked on Crist’s election campaign, so Col. Brad Stooge-y reaps the fruit.

Bash me if you must, but I feel Steube will be a great sheriff.

Been Threw This

Having been threw this in Charlotte County, The Gov. makes it a point not to appoint someone that is going to be running. Don't be suprised if the Sheriff's recomendation falls on deaf ears.

Col Stupe-id will get it

All in the Family

Bash me if you must but I feel Steube will be a great sheriff.
    Grant. Shut up.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast