How is the dept? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The captain of professional standards was intelligent enough to leave his gun hanging by the trigger guard. Pure physics took over causing the fire arm to discharge a round into police head quarters. His wife was the rocket scientist of a captain whom left her fire arm in bath room at the police academy and secured for the day. The weapon was later found by a convicted felon prison inmate whom had a conscious enough to turn the weapon into a sheriff’s deputy and not kill him or others. Both persons mentioned are still in command of their respected departments. One incident was found to be a “accident” and the other a minor suspension of 5 hours pay.
    Aside from the negativity there are some great aspects of VBPD, but there are many downfalls. The city view the pd as undereducated non-professional fools. The fire department is better paid for instance as well as teachers. Not that their jobs are less of importance. The budget for the pd should be about double and man power about 300-350 more officers. The starting salary should be the city median income. Officers should not be ridiculed for being cops and restricted by policy in enforcing justice. The citizens should be given prosecutors to put law violators to justice. The court house procedures should be revamped to stop letting the overpaid defense attorneys from running seven courts an hour.

Re: How is the dept?

What bothers me the most is the fact that most misdemeanor cases are prosecuted without an actual prosecutor. Thats ridiculous and unheard of in most states.
    Little things add up. Look at how NYPD cleaned up their city, they started with the little offenses and enforced them heavily, thereby cleaning up their city one block and one neighborhood at a time. It worked, VERY well.
    I have no plans of leaving my current agency but I know of at least one experienced officer that was planning to apply with VBPD who will not mainly becuase of this and of course the low pay/high cost of living. There are plenty of other agencies in this part of the country that will pay far better and treat their officers far better.
    VBPD and the city need to get their act together.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123