How is the dept?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How is the dept?

Can anyone tell me how they like Virginia Beach PD? Looking to put in an application.

REFUSAL TO ENFORCE THE LAW

Is it correct and true the Chief of Police there has refused to enforce laws against ILLEGAL ALIENS?

Re: REFUSAL TO ENFORCE THE LAW

Quote Originally Posted by FLPD
    Is it correct and true the Chief of Police there has refused to enforce laws against ILLEGAL ALIENS?
    I'm a Deputy in South Florida and we have more illegals than anywhere else. Not enforcing the illegal laws happens everywhere. How is the Department?

DEPARTMENT

YEAH WHAT THE HECK DOES THE ALEINS HAVE TO DO WITH IT LOLOLO. I MET A COUPLE OF OFFICERS IN DC DURING POLICE WEEK AND THEY SEEMED REALLY SQUARED AWAY. THEY HAVE ALWAYS HAD 10-8 OFFICERS DUE TO THE AREA THEY WORK ,,,, NOT SAYING THAT IT IS BAD BUT THEY DEAL WITH A LOT OF VISITORS. THEY HAVE EXCELLENT TRAINING AND PUT IT TO USE!!! I HAVE 3 YEARS LEFT AND SERIOUSLY THINKING BOUT GOING NORTH.

Re: DEPARTMENT

Quote Originally Posted by BROWARD COUNTY PD
    YEAH WHAT THE HECK DOES THE ALEINS HAVE TO DO WITH IT LOLOLO. I MET A COUPLE OF OFFICERS IN DC DURING POLICE WEEK AND THEY SEEMED REALLY SQUARED AWAY. THEY HAVE ALWAYS HAD 10-8 OFFICERS DUE TO THE AREA THEY WORK ,,,, NOT SAYING THAT IT IS BAD BUT THEY DEAL WITH A LOT OF VISITORS. THEY HAVE EXCELLENT TRAINING AND PUT IT TO USE!!! I HAVE 3 YEARS LEFT AND SERIOUSLY THINKING BOUT GOING NORTH.
    I work in your neck of the woods and I'm considering the Virginia area. I don't know where to go, but I like big departments. I was also looking at the VSP.

vbpd is a terrible department

The department will hang officers is it gets liability off of the city, not take home cars, 1.85% retirement multiplier, your in court about 5 hours a week, the turn over rate is incredible. The department is running 2-3 academys of 30 and still can keep at minimums staffing. They are 2.5 officers per 100 citz's below the national average.

I work at vbpd now and have for over four years. The dept is garbage, they only care about there image. They will fire you in a heart beat if it takes liability off the city. There is no union. They leave junior officers to hand. You wont get disciplined if your a supervisor. The place is ina downward spiral. We have other officers that come here as laterals and they say how messed up the place is. The city is to cheap to have prosecutors to argue misdemeanor cases so officers testify and cant argue law. How bad is that.

How is VBPD

DO NOT APPLY TO VBPD!!! :shock:
    1) To start you will need to have alternate sources of finance because the area is horribly overpriced for the salary we get. (and for what the area has to offer)
    2) The retirement is sad to say the least, and city council is toying with our medical benefit package. The results will only worsen the benefits. Family packages cost in excess of $400-$600 a month and the city is proposing making single subscribers pay for their coverage as well. The coverage we do have is not worth it (even though it's free for me) if that tells you anything.
    3) The benefits are self funded by the city and managed by a local healthcare network - so when you retire you can't take the coverage with you if you want to move away from the area. Speaking of retirement - we have a 1.8% multiplier so you can't retire and stay in the area, then again you can't leave because you won't have benefits. :x :?:
    4) The population, crime rate, and work load are getting worse while the hiring and retention of officers is staying the same or declining.
    5) The 'good ol boy' system is in effect for any kind of transfers.
    6) You can bank on never having a holiday weekend off during the summer ever again because days off are cancelled to suplement staffing at the oceanfront.
    7) And the oceanfront - look forward to being a bouncer with a badge and gun standing out front of bars babysitting drunks and dodging bullets from the increasing gang population frequenting the resort at night.
    8 ) Enjoy our court system where we have to prepare our own cases (felony and misdemeanor) and prosecute our own misdemeanor and traffic cases. Don't be mislead we can't object, argue case law, or do anything other than testify as a witness while the defendant has a $2,000 per hour lawyer going up against you. You will be in court A LOT only to have a very liberal court system dismiss your case because a lawyer argued against you making you look like you are out arresting people for minding their own business.
    9) The department will throw you under the bus for courtesty complaints stemming from suspects who were resisting or even fighting you. They can call you whatever they want, cuss you like they hate you, come at you swinging but if you cuss at them during the course of the altercation/arrest be prepared to get disciplined.
    10 ) Morale is probably the lowest it's been in years.

Hope this helps your decision! :wink:

Does anyone know how Roanoke PD is to work for?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast