FAQ's about CCSO Employment - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

If you have road experience, you would go to the road. Your pay rate would depend on tears of experience.
    You would have to endure the application process all over again, and upon appointment you would have to do a full 12 week/ 44 Daily Observation Report FTO cycle.
    As for seniority, on the road it is based on the date you clear FTO on the road (there is no points system like in the jail).
    You would get the same ID # you had before.
    If you left in good standing and didn't accumulate any skeletons since you left, I am sure the agency would welcome you back, so by all means, put the paper in, we need ya!

Work for a small PD here in Fl. looking to apply with CCSO. Worried greatly about cost of living. As a Probationee can you work off duty or do have to wait until you have completed the 1 yr probation?

whats on the table for next contract neg. pay raise ect?

We do not have a union so we get pay raises every year!

As for working off-duty, you can do that as soon as you are released from you FTO status, have your vehicle assigned to you and are working as a deputy.

In regards it the cost of living issues, it is expensive here but we continue to hire new members and they make it work so there is hope for you. Prices of homes are falling and you may have to rent at first till you are through training and can work the OT.

Good luck,

How readily available are the details? Also, what kind of details do you all get?

?

I would REALLY like to know how often and how many people the hire and sponsor through the academy for the road. The website states they do it, the recruiters state they do it, but ive never seen it. Im assuming you have to be a friend of the sheriff to get sponsored through. I have a 4 year degree and was told no road, everyone goes to the jail. I said NO THANK YOU. I applied to 3 agencies in lee county and was offered road jobs at all 3, and am now wrking for one. When i interviewed for each and they asked where else you applied they all rolled their eyes when they heard the collier story and said thats always how it is. I also met tons of people that are working up here on the road without working in a jail that all were turned down by collier and are great people. Ive also met people that worked in the jail and were told time after time 2 years and then the road, they stated it was promised and never came and they left, some after 3 years of being promised.

I'm not mad at that policy at all, if you want your people to go through the jail than thats great. But don't waste people's time by telling them they have a chance when you all down right know its not going to happen. It appears you have a great agency and everyone is happy there, well thats great, but i would never even consider transfering there or even looking into it again or recomending people try it as long as they advertise you have the possibility of going to the road and nce in your in the interview attempt to persuade you to go to the jail.

I would respect them much much more if they simply state "uncertified individuals will only be sponsored through the jail."

Some have gone right to the road. Maybe they had a masters degree or had prior military police or out of state experience. Bottom line is... the road is no prize pony. It's a job when you get over having a gun and badge. Many people I was in the jail with are now Captains or Lieutenants. The sergeants in there I have never even heard of before. The quick path to rank is in the jail. If it's not for you that's ok. It took me over five years to get to the road but you know what?.....I have 25 years to fill with different postions here. Going right to the road will burn you out and you'll never have the luxury of boosting your income over 100K a year by working o.t. in there after you transfer out. No one PROMISED anything, but I still grin when I get that paycheck and wonder what other position I'll put in for next. Sometimes the anticipation for something you really want is more fun than when you get it.

I agree with your fustrations. I unfortunately experienced it myself firsthand. I have a spotless background, numerous years as military police, 2 yr CJ degree, and been approved my FDLE for the LEO EOT class. I only got offered the jail. I ended up taking it, but got really upset when I went to orientation and saw a 23 yr old female straight out of college with no experience being sponsored through the LE academy. In my CO academy class we also had a marine with a 4 yr degree and another female who was a dispatcher for another agency with a 4 year degree, all going into the jail. I feel like they flip a coin and that decides your fate.

I've since left and work on the road with another SO a few hours away. I have absolutely no complaints with CCSO after I started working there. Very professional agency, but they have some serious issues with their hiring process. Worse part is they couldn't even tell me why, other than that is all you were offered.

numerous years as military police, 2 yr CJ degree, and been approved my FDLE for the LEO EOT class
    31B time isn't comparable to civillian leo time. Stop believing it is.

2yr degree...........Most people have this and more

LEO EOT......so what.

THE PROBLEM WITH THIS AGENCY IS THEY ARE SO INCONSISTANT WITH EVERYTHING! I HAVE BEEN PRODUCT OF THIS AS A BENIFIT AND AS A VICTIM. OTHER THAN THE INCONSISTANCY THIS AGENCY IS GOOD OVERALL TO ITS MEMBERS.

Inconsistencies can be viewed in two separate ways. When dealing with inanimate objects it is a bad thing since everything SHOULD be the same. BUT, when you deal in people, it should not be the same since every situation should be judged on its own merits.

I do not know about you but I do not want to work for an agency that has a cookie-cutter method of punishment.

Again, just my thoughts…

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast