UNION NEWS - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: UNION NEWS

in response, the whole 12/10 shift proposal was never even brought to any of the members or was kept to a "select" few. who does this proposal benefit? i would venture to say that only the senior officers would be the ones working the 5 10's based on seniority.
    the fact that you would suggest three 12 hours shifts in one day shows that you dont understand the concept. 10 hour shifts cost the most, 8 hour shift second, and 12 hour shifts cost the least to the town. the reason 12 hour shifts cost the least is because they only have to staff 2 platoons of 2 squads each.....not three. the overlap in three 12 hour shifts would be ridiculous.
    the two other schedules that have been outright rejected openly by board members is either the
    3-2-2-3.....which is work 3, off 2, work 2, off 3. this is every other weekend off for EVERY MEMBER.
    the other is the 4-3-3-4......work 4, off 3, work 3, off 4. this is the same every other weekend off but you are working four 12 hour shifts during one of the weeks..... al ong work week.
    again. you need to take a deep breath, take a big step back, and look at this from a distance outside of "I" AND "WE" (meaning the board). this is bigger than the 7-10 of you. or as it sounds the 3-4 of you that are taking upon yourselves to propose things for the majority that only the SENIORITY wants. this is not representation of the whole nor is it in the best interest of the union as a whole.
    most people should already know how a contract negotiation works. is a give and take. that is a given. the fact that you go back and forth about this is not a legitamate reason to not discuss these issues or to keep them from the members until "you" feel it is a good enough contract to bring to us. the fact that you have the members up to speed is the whole point, so you have power as a whole, not a select few. and as it stands right now, i think you would have a hard time having the majority stand together on anyting right now because of the decention.
    again just my two cents.

The reason seniority exists in a job is to be a benefit to those people who have done their time on that particular job. This applies across America in all industries. It is viewed as compensation and a reward that eventually, in time, we all will receive. So instead of the continuous bashing being spewed on this site, try and have the foresight (future) and realize that you will someday also have enough time to choose your shift as well.
    Also, when you go to specialized unit and/or are promoted this same senioruty also applies. I have the seniority to pick what I want but I dont have full weekends because I choose not to for my families benefit.

P.S. Ask your family/parents what an advantage seniority meant to them over the years in their jobs and you will probably be suprised by their answer.

Quote Originally Posted by guest 100
    in response, the whole 12/10 shift proposal was never even brought to any of the members or was kept to a "select" few. who does this proposal benefit? i would venture to say that only the senior officers would be the ones working the 5 10's based on seniority.
    again just my two cents.
    I didnt know that we met recently and the board openly informed us that they are for/against anything.I can tell your a little bit mad and your jumping to alot of conclusions about alot of subjects because we are uninformed and i understand that. I believe that you may have misread a few of the posts and are possibly confused. 634 stated that they havent talked about the shifts yet, so why jump up and down since it hasnt happened,and Im not defending him, hes useless. I agree that we are in the dark but this is a public forum so the next meeting is a better place to vent. You, as a member, have every right to expect that you will be represented, but did you submit a proposal? If so, then I APPLAUD YOU. If not, come up with one that benefits us all, including the db, motors, supervisors etc.. and those seniority guys you dislike. Just so we all understand though, the town can drag this on and schedule meetings when they want and for as long as they want. Also, the 4 10s, like every other benfit you enjoy and think you have earned, was a benefit that our secretive board secured in writing in our contract , unlike any other city/town.

shifts

the fact that you would suggest three 12 hours shifts in one day shows that you dont understand the concept.

Actually, I do understand the concept. What YOU don't understand, guest 100 is what the town wants. We have been told by the town that they want a "more efficient" department. The three 12's per day would staff the most coverage during the busiest times of the day as well as the overlap between bravo going 10-7 and alpha going 10-8. This is just yet another option.

Personally, I am against the 12's as a union member. As a board member I have to go along with whatever the board submits that is good for the membership as a whole. This does not preclude me from submitting a schedule that I would want to work, just as anyone else has the opportunity to do the same.

tsd

guest 100 please call me, i'm sure you can get my number if you don't already have it. I would like to get some ideas from you as well as feedback

I was never a fan of 634, but I can tell you I changed my mind on him and now I understand him. He is doing a good job for US. TSD keep up the good work and drive on. The rest of the board is good. You men need to know people out here say THANK YOU........... Keep it going...... and thanks for having our backs.

Quote Originally Posted by one way
    Because of on-going talks? Isn't that even more of a reason that we should have a meeting? I thought that is what the meetings were for, to update the membership. Or was the meeting postponed because 676 and 634 were scared to hold the meeting alone?

It seems that these two people are not looking out for the membership. They are going to the brass and trying to come up with a shift schedule that suits them, ie. 20 people on 10 hour shift and the rest of road patrol on 12s. That seems ONE WAY to me.

What are they trying to pull over on us? Is it true that they are only looking out for themselves? It sure seems that way.
    Are you basing this on fact, or just stirring? Nice try though because the "brass" doesnt involve themselves in our schedules so you must be grasping for straws with bad days off.

[quote="Anonymous"][quote="one way"]Because of on-going talks? Isn't that even more of a reason that we should have a meeting? I thought that is what the meetings were for, to update the membership. Or was the meeting postponed because 676 and 634 were scared to hold the meeting alone?

676 and 634 scared? SSShhhhhhhhh! Hear that? It's the whispering of all you so called tough guys whispering in the hallway about how this sucks and that's not fair. Sound off like you GOT A PAIR! Seems to me that these seem to be the only two guys that aren't selling out to the administration and aren't afraid to hide it. OH NO! Another Davie cop just got wrongfully terminated. That's screwed up. Don't talk too loud though, the Chief might hear you. Seems like every time the Chief's double chin gets bigger, road patrols testicles are get smaller!

Hey, anyone know where I sign up for the Kevin K. home patrol position?

Are you basing this on fact, or just stirring? Nice try though because the "brass" doesnt involve themselves in our schedules so you must be grasping for straws with bad days off.[/quote]

You are either brass yourself or blind if you don't think the Chief's double chin doesn't cover all aspects like a blanket.

Quote Originally Posted by been here a little while
    I was never a fan of 634, but I can tell you I changed my mind on him and now I understand him. He is doing a good job for US. TSD keep up the good work and drive on. The rest of the board is good. You men need to know people out here say THANK YOU........... Keep it going...... and thanks for having our backs.
    Thanx' Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIE634
    Quote Originally Posted by been here a little while
    Thanx' Mom!
    Not your MOM, Just someone who cares about the BIG PICTURE. You and the rest of the FOP board are doing a GREAT job. Thanks. Shift is no matter to me( I understood coming into the job that things change), I just want to see some $$$$$ in our pockets.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast