looking to move
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking to move

looking to move

can you tell me if you are hiring and what a starting pay would be for a 15 year vetrean in law enforcement. we love the cherokee and bryson city area and thinking about someday moveing there from florida

Re: looking to move

Quote Originally Posted by looking to get out of fl
    can you tell me if you are hiring and what a starting pay would be for a 15 year vetrean in law enforcement. we love the cherokee and bryson city area and thinking about someday moveing there from florida
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what is funny about moving, there and inquring about jobs

Brotherly Advice

Quote Originally Posted by florida
    My fellow brother, I laugh because you are about to enter into the dark world of mountain politics. Many here carry a bible in one hand and a big stick in another hand. They are not a forgiving people. They are a very insecure people, they hide behind the cloth of god, highjacking the word for their own agendas! I would stay in Florida if you want to continue in your chosen profession. If you decide you really want to live in North Carolina, find a job with any big City police department, but not in the mountains. Here in a small town its nothing but mountain politics. Most Florida officers that have moved here in past years have moved away after several years of frustration, because of how backwards things can be here. The few Florida officers that work here could not make it in the big city departments of Florida, so they find refuge here, but they must kiss arse with the locals and sell their souls. If it don't bother you to kiss some local arse, then come on up buddy and apply, but you can never say you were never warned! Florida has much more a progressive L.E. community, so stay there! Some advice, read all the past posts here, and read the local newspaper about how screwed-up things are here in local politics. I know what you're thinking that politics can be a problem anywhere, true, but nothing compares to mountain politics. If you are a true veteran with any investigative skills, do some investigating, and do some research before you make a financial mistake you shall regret for a long time to come. Its a culture unlike anything you will ever come to know, they are very narrow and closed minded. Oh, if you make an honest mistake here as P.O., there is no legal, or union recourse, you are gone, its state Law!

Not Ready To Make Nice

:x

Re: Brotherly Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by florida
    My fellow brother, I laugh because you are about to enter into the dark world of mountain politics. Many here carry a bible in one hand and a big stick in another hand. They are not a forgiving people. They are a very insecure people, they hide behind the cloth of god, highjacking the word for their own agendas! I would stay in Florida if you want to continue in your chosen profession. If you decide you really want to live in North Carolina, find a job with any big City police department, but not in the mountains. Here in a small town its nothing but mountain politics. Most Florida officers that have moved here in past years have moved away after several years of frustration, because of how backwards things can be here. The few Florida officers that work here could not make it in the big city departments of Florida, so they find refuge here, but they must kiss arse with the locals and sell their souls. If it don't bother you to kiss some local arse, then come on up buddy and apply, but you can never say you were never warned! Florida has much more a progressive L.E. community, so stay there! Some advice, read all the past posts here, and read the local newspaper about how screwed-up things are here in local politics. I know what you're thinking that politics can be a problem anywhere, true, but nothing compares to mountain politics. If you are a true veteran with any investigative skills, do some investigating, and do some research before you make a financial mistake you shall regret for a long time to come. Its a culture unlike anything you will ever come to know, they are very narrow and closed minded. Oh, if you make an honest mistake here as P.O., there is no legal, or union recourse, you are gone, its state Law!

BLAH BLAH BLAH

No intelligence

That is the extent of your deputies intelligence here..........BLAH BLAH BLAH..WOW, great response!

The truth hurts and is all written in the local newspapers. I guess you are happy with the current system. Ask your cyber cop Roger if he has ever heard of the term cyber spoofing? Not everyone here is who you think they are. I understand your cyber cop has frighten many at your department not to use this forum for fear you shall be tracked and fired for speaking out. He could not be further from the truth.

Florida Deputy Inquiring About Department

Wow, I too was somewhat curious about the Sheriff's Department when I retire in three years and make my move to Murphy from Florida. I was considering maybe some part-time employment, but not too sure "outsiders" would be welcome. Not all of us look to come in and "show" the locals how it's done in the big city but instead embrace the small town slower pace of life while possibly offering any suggestions (if asked) on maybe a smarter way to do business. Politics is anywhere you go - it's a fact of life. As long as the thieves and crankers are put in jail - the process that is used doesn't concern me.

Re: Florida Deputy Inquiring About Department

Quote Originally Posted by Polk County Deputy
    Wow, I too was somewhat curious about the Sheriff's Department when I retire in three years and make my move to Murphy from Florida. I was considering maybe some part-time employment, but not too sure "outsiders" would be welcome. Not all of us look to come in and "show" the locals how it's done in the big city but instead embrace the small town slower pace of life while possibly offering any suggestions (if asked) on maybe a smarter way to do business. Politics is anywhere you go - it's a fact of life. As long as the thieves and crankers are put in jail - the process that is used doesn't concern me.
    If you did not get enough of police work in Florida, and you want to carry a gun, sign-up, they will hire you. Now, if you really did some real police work in Florida, my first question is did you not get enough of it there, do you not want to retire brother, what's wrong with you? If you did not get enough in Florida and want to make a difference here, prepare yourself for some real disappointment my brother. Many great Florida officers through the years have been run-off, or have moved away. Politics are everywhere, I will agree, but nothing like here. There is a history of the locals trying to hold on to what they have and keeping things behind the times, and they do not like progress. You must read the history of this county and speak with retired officers here from Florida that are "not in the system", they will give you the straight honest truth. Also Florida criminal law and North Carolina are very different. The only Florida cops you shall find working here are in-love with their uniform, or like the whole police groupie deal, they simply have no life, or can not function outside of police work. These people have questionable backgrounds, or psychological issues. My advice, wait 10 more years and things will change here. Good Luck! Oh, Polk County Florida has a great department and Sheriff, glad to hear you're coming this way!

Remember this, policing here is reactive, NOT proactive, so with that in mind, you decide.

Just a mention from an floridain ex LEO

Greetings from the sunshine state. I was once employed in NC as an LEO and it is EXACTLY how it was described. You will bang your head until it bleeds because of the regs that have to be followed.

I refused to kiss "waldensian" ass and it was not good. I raised hell because we were more concerned about someone stealing hanging plants off a waldensians porch than the rolling meth labs all over the county.
    Needless to say, I am no longer employed as an LEO in NC.

The chief at that time thought that his personal phone was bugged, he stated that every time he was on the phone he heard a beeping.

I asked him if he had call waiting and he asked "whats that?"
    After asking the secratary, it was confirmed that he did have call waiting.
    Nothing more was said and he refused to talk to me for several days.

NC is a world of its own and you have to bend to its ways to survive there. I was there several years and plan to return when i soon retire. BUT not as a LEO, I will do something that is relaxing. Less menatlly stressful.

I have quite a few friends who have tried to live there, doing various jobs and most have returned. They did not bend, they went there thinking that they could change things for some reason.

Living in Pinellas County, we are use to shootings at all times of the night, sirens of all sorts echoeing the night and ebony wolfpacks on bikes looking for something to steal. You have to scan the neighborhhod before walking out to your car as you also have to scan around you as you return to your car.Everyone you talk to has some sort of scan to take your money. Begger on every street corner and homeless people galore. Plus Everything is within a 3 minutes drive and there are 25+ movie showing around town. The beach is a 10 minute drive away and there is every type of food and tavern that is imaginable at the same distance.

NC is vastly different, you 9floridians) will have a serious culture shock (for the good).
    But alot cannot handle it, ESPECIALLY if you are married with children.

I guess it is the same in reverse, a few NC friends tried to live here and were totally consumed and way over whelmed by florida.

Sorry to ramble on, I understand what was being warned to you and I also understand the floridian logic of "that its ok , I can handle it." I have been there on both ends.

By the way the reason I left as an LEO was because of the extremely low pay.

Hope this helps.

PS People from NC are a very close nit people, they seem to dislike change and any suggestions from floridians on how to change. They will fight to the death for a friend (bat-leo) and proud of it. They make great "scald cat shine" and at times seem to be the most backward state in the union. I met afew that could not read but sounded like a master armourer whne speaking about their weapons.

Remeber to bend and flow, if you can do this I cannot think of any other better place to be. They are a great people in a great state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast