Port Richey PD info?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Port Richey PD info?

PRPR is hiring a Chief. A public safety director to be exact, someone to manage both Police and Fire.
    My question is= Is PRPD a sinking ship or is it just in need of some new mamagement. I know things are much better then even a few years ago, but is it really improved? I don't mean that negatively- I just don't know enough about how the dept has been run recently. Is the committment from city hall there? Are the officers and pay even remotely good to attract other decent offices?
    I'm asking for some local input. I am a guy w/17 years on the job in a larger dept. and Sgt expereince. I live and work in So. FL and am thinking about comming back to be closer to family in NPR. Wondering if I should apply for the job or steer clear. Any other info is appreciated

We are hiring a Public Safety Director, not to be confused with a Chief of Police. The PSD must have both police and fire experience, certified in Florida as both a LEO and a firefighter. The PSD will oversee the operations of both the Police AND Fire departments. The current Chief of Police will retain his employment as an Assistant Chief until he retires. After the implementation of the PSD, and after the retirement of the Assistant Chief of Police, the highest attainable rank in both the Police and Fire Departments will be a Lieutenant (with the obvious exception of the PSD).

Port Richey is NOT a bad place to work or live, despite some local rumors and occasional bad press. We are looking to move forward and make it an even BETTER place to both work and live. We have our share of political issues, but, then again, so does every city. If you feel that you have what it takes and are looking to make some positive changes in our city, then please apply. Jerry Calhoun is the City Manager, and I believe that all local applications are going through him. He can be reached at Port Richey City Hall at 816-1900 if you have any other questions.

Thanks for reply Guest. Can you tell me any more about a referendum to abolish the city government? Does the city FD provide ambulance service. If so ALS or BLS. What is the outlook for finances in the city government? Does the PD/FD have to beg for training money or capital expenses for things like cars or equipment or is the council supportive.

I have always thought the most important part of any agency is its people. Are wages for patrol officers competetive in the local market. If not- would the tone of the present council and manager entertain this kind of thinking?

Thanks for your info.

You sound like you are a member of the department. I can appreciate your positive tone and forward thinking outllook that i noted in your comments. That in itself speaks about you and the agency. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Question?
    Thanks for reply Guest. Can you tell me any more about a referendum to abolish the city government? Does the city FD provide ambulance service. If so ALS or BLS. What is the outlook for finances in the city government? Does the PD/FD have to beg for training money or capital expenses for things like cars or equipment or is the council supportive.

I have always thought the most important part of any agency is its people. Are wages for patrol officers competetive in the local market. If not- would the tone of the present council and manager entertain this kind of thinking?

Thanks for your info.

You sound like you are a member of the department. I can appreciate your positive tone and forward thinking outllook that i noted in your comments. That in itself speaks about you and the agency. Thanks again.
    There is s amall group of people who would like to see the city dissolved for tax purposes. I can honestly tell you that I do not forsee that happening. There will be a "straw ballot" vote to get a feel for the citizens' feelings on that issue.

Our FD does not provide ambulance service, just BLS.Our FD currently has 2 engines, one Expedition, and one car at their disposal. They are the first responders (along with the PD) for medical calls, and are on scene before Pasco County Fire Rescue to evaluate and treat patients prior to transport via county ambulance.

As far as the council being supportive with granting the PD/FD large sums of money, some council members seem like they would like to see more spent on the Emergency Services, and some do not. I can assure you that we have what we need to do our jobs.

I gotta go - traffic crash - talk later.

Thanks Cabiness. I appreciate the info. What can you tell me about the troops. Is there lots of turnover? Do they take care of you guys w/ pay. How are the other benefits insurance and time off?
    Thanks again and take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Question?
    Thanks Cabiness. I appreciate the info. What can you tell me about the troops. Is there lots of turnover? Do they take care of you guys w/ pay. How are the other benefits insurance and time off?
    Thanks again and take care.
    We have a great bunch of guys working at the PD. I have been here for more then 5 years, and there has not been a high turnover rate. I understand that years ago there was a considerably hight turnover rate (before I started working here). In the last 5 years, 3 officers have left to work for the Pasco County Sheriff's Office. One left about 3 or 4 years ago, and the other two both left within the last 6 months. As far as our pay, I can only speak for myself when I tell you that I am not complaining. I don't hear any of the other guys complaining, but I can not speak for them. As far as insurance, our current plan is adequate, but it does not include family members. We are currently obtaining an insurance plan that WILL cover family members. Our time off is standard, with the usual weekly days off and a fair amount of earned sick, personal, and vacation time.

We are also in the process of becoming an accredited agency, as the only other accredited agency in the County right now is the Sheriff's Office. We are also implementing a take home car program in the very near future, which should occur right after our contract is ratified by City Council. The city is also growing rapidly. There are many construction sites for apartment complexes, condominiums, and such that will be bringing hundreds of new residents within the next couple of years. There has also been talk of annexation of several areas, which will also bring even more residents and businesses within the city limits.

The PD also has a semi-active Marine Patrol Unit, with 2 boats at the disposal of the PD, one being a 17' Polar for shallow water, and the other is a 21' Sea Pro, which is able to go anywhere else in the 27 square miles of water in our jurisdiction. I say "semi-active" because we have been restricted to emergency response ONLY at this time due to budget restraints, with no daily (or even weekly) patrol on the watar. I do forsee the Marine Patrol Unit becoming active again, but we just have to wait until funds permit it.

In addition to the Marine Patrol Unit, we also have a Traffic Homicide Unit, which is comprised of two Traffic Homicide Reconstructionists. We also have a small Honor Guard, and a few of our officers have been trained in Dive/Rescue.

I can tell you that I personally enjoy working for Port Richey PD. The city's potemtial is infinite. The scenery is breathtaking both on and off of the water, and it is an attractive place to live and work. I encourage you to contact the City Manager, Jerry Calhoun, at (727) 816-1900 to speak with him directly about any questions or concerns you may have.

Thanks for all the insights. And if anyone else has more info I would appreciate it. Stay safe.

I have been with the agency for almost 9 years, some of that was part time as I thought the grass might be greener on the other side of the fence, but it WASN'T. PRPD has tight knit employees, we ***** and complain at one another just like siblings, but let me say that I couldn't work for a better place. We have a comraderie about us that not many agencies do. We do things together and we are there for one another when needed. Most of the wives are friends and spend time together socially as do the guys. ALL agencies have quirks and political "behind the scenes BS", but if you can seperate that you will see all the good we have to offer. I can't imagine working anywhere else. The officers are working 12 hour shifts now, so they only work for a total of 14 days per month. They will now be able to have a family life and plan special events! I am very proud of of my agency, we have come a long way and are still getting ready to take some more leaps and bounds! I would be honest in saying that most of the local agencies here are that way we all have our good points

I hear that we're down to 3 finalists of those screened for the Public Safety Director position. I guess it's gonna' get interesting here shortly...

Quote Originally Posted by Cabiness-PRPD
    I hear that we're down to 3 finalists of those screened for the Public Safety Director position. I guess it's gonna' get interesting here shortly...
    Any idea who the finalists are yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast