PBSO Communications Center Breakdown - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

United We Stand

I agree with the positive note that Commo is the support unit that has a major role in the functionality of this dept. Its obvious without a doubt they are overworked and not given the kudos they deserve.

Now onto the problem solving part of it....

Why didn't PBA or anyone else think of blanketing Commo under patrol for representation?

They could have been under the bargaining representation with our initial contract. When Greenacres Public Safety signed their first contract the agency was a family united under one contract regardless of the issue in front of Senators or legislation now.....thats right Commo, EMS, Fire and Police were represented on there initial contract no one was left out like in ours, which was strange because there was such a big push for parity with Corrections and Baliff's, If you remember which means Commo was neglected.......

Hence, the scuttlebutt constantly on this forum. If we dont dicuss it somwhere then we can't fix it because no one knows about it......

Those who say we complain or whine are those who don't want to deal with it or fix the problem because they hope we'll just go away. And If we do voice it in front of others then we are inocently moved to where we'll keep quiet, go figure.....

Hang in there Commo we'll "get r done" every day placing our lives on the line for the sake of others w/o calous for our own.

United we stand!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by I concur
    I have felt for a long time that dispatchers should be on par with deputies. Same pay scale, same retirement. Anyone who doesn't think so is just plain ignorant. I've seen both jobs, while theirs is safer, it is much much harder.

I agree commo works hard no doubt. But I don't think they should be paid as much as a deputy. I haven't been to too many commo funerals. Theres lots of professions that work harder then cops, doesn't mean they should be paid as much. Plus LEO's have shorter life expectency's. Whens the last time a dispatchers' been punched, spit on, slapped, stabbed, shot or killed.

Nothin 4 nothin there "Big Guy", I guess you have never spent much time upstairs or really reading this thread entirely. The stress level for those working the radio for hours is out of control. What they do gives a new meaning to MULTI tasking. Our stress level is only what we make of it on the road, if it bothers you we can move around to the airport, courts, contracts whatever...Commo is stuck with limited breaks, and no fresh air, no access to stopping by Duffy's, Chili's, Starbucks or whatever in between calls and NO collective bargaining to represent there concerns. hence there problems keeping good people in there; stress, tough working conditions lead to poor health and which means shorter life as you put it. Don't forget stress is the number 1 heart disease and no one in commo is protected under the "Heart Bill" like patrol is something to consider before a response like that....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy
    I agree commo works hard no doubt. But I don't think they should be paid as much as a deputy. I haven't been to too many commo funerals. Theres lots of professions that work harder then cops, doesn't mean they should be paid as much. Plus LEO's have shorter life expectency's. Whens the last time a dispatchers' been punched, spit on, slapped, stabbed, shot or killed.

The failures in Communications start at the top. Leadership defines morale and establishes success. The poor morale is a direct reflection of the poor and inexperienced leadership. About 30% of the supervisory staff in the Communications Center can actually get on a radio and do the job. Just ask one of them to sit down and try it one day. You'd get a deer in the headlights look or be given an excuse. How can you promote a person with less than two years of experience to a supervisor's position? Well PBSO did and you wonder why there are problems. The denying of Comp time is absolutely crazy. IT'S AGAINST THE LAW!!! I can't believe the PBSO lawyers aren't busting down the door to mgmt. and reading them the riot act. Then having to find a person to work your shift so you can go on vacation. That in itself should bring a changing of the guard at the top, but I guess its okay to treat those peeps in communications like a bunch of black mules in Mexico. The PBA should take commo under their wing. The guys and gals of commo have been searching for union representation. Sounds like somoeone just doesn't want to have to really work; they'd rather be playing golf or planning a conference trip with union dues.
    And for the rejects who don't like the postings on this site. Too bad. The 1st Amendment guarantees we can exercise our speech and the more offensive and vulgar the more it is protected, plus the 5th Amendment says we can say as much or nothing at all. Just go back to your FOG given position and remember you'll never be respected for being FOG-moted.
    If any deputy had a person go off on them like a Marine Corps Drill Instructor out on the street, that person would get restrained in cuffs at the least and probably end up going to jail. Next time one of these **** citizens who isn't employed, doesn't vote and is probably and illegal alien goes off on you, hang the **** up on the **** Oh maybe not, the supervisors may counsel you and tell you what a bad dispatcher you are while at the same time they deny your comp day and tell you you can't get vacation. Man, those girls in Commo must have their blood boiling everytime they see these other civilains taking thier 4 to 5 smoking breaks outside for twenty minutes at a shot coupled with their one hour lunch and one hour PBSO gym membership aerobics class. No wonder the girls in commo are mad. They deserve more than a few words on this site, they deserve a leadership that can handle the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    To Dispatcher C.N. - It's 11:47!
    Thanks for the props, but it is actually 23:19 8)

im sure once the SO goes computerized for deputies, and deputies can actually read the calls for themselves, do 95's, 28/29 on their own, a large amount of radio traffic will be reduced..

lets get those laptops running and distributed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    im sure once the SO goes computerized for deputies, and deputies can actually read the calls for themselves, do 95's, 28/29 on their own, a large amount of radio traffic will be reduced..

lets get those laptops running and distributed!
    I wholeheartedly agree with the need for laptops on the road...

Do I mind the amount of radio traffic? No, bring it on 8)

But I also recognize that sometimes road units would like to be able to do a little 10-17 on their own, without the need for keying up (rolling 28, unoccupied s/13, 27/95/Palms not 10-12, etc). What is often challenging is not just the amount of radio traffic, it is the (sometimes slow or on the verge of crashing) CADS system, or perhaps short staffing, or maybe a 2 hour old lunch that I can't take a bite of unless somebody straps on my feed bag, or maybe a major incident in another district. You cannot see behind the scenes into Commo, as we cannot see what you are dealing with on the road at any given moment, and I've experienced some of that. This hopefully results in respect for each-other and the fact that most of us couldn't take on the other's job.

That being said: I LOVE and am PROUD of what I do, and WHERE I do it. I think of officer safety first and foremost; no matter how frustrating a few of you may be, I'll do whatever I can to prepare you for what you're 51 to, or who you're out with. And yes, I try to enjoy myself a little while I'm at it. Would someone else pay me more for my work? Maybe, maybe not. Would I be happier anywhere else? No. The grass might look greener on the other side of the fence, but as Mama always said "it's usually because that grass is growing over a septic tank" :wink:

The grass is greener outside of PBSO......Leaving was the best thing I could of done. Yes I miss the working with the guys and the busy radio traffic....BUT I don't miss begging a coworker to come get me up so I can go to the bathroom, or beg, plead and borrow time from coworkers so I can take a day off. ALSO don't miss the GOSSIPING - THINK THEY KNOW IT ALL - TALK BEHIND YOUR BACK - BACKSTABBING - DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING coworkers I encountered. So I offer encouragement to not be afraid of whats outside of PBSO. There are greener pastures and not the ones over the septic tank. The comm center was over the septic tank.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-7
    The grass is greener outside of PBSO......Leaving was the best thing I could of done. Yes I miss the working with the guys and the busy radio traffic....BUT I don't miss begging a coworker to come get me up so I can go to the bathroom, or beg, plead and borrow time from coworkers so I can take a day off. ALSO don't miss the GOSSIPING - THINK THEY KNOW IT ALL - TALK BEHIND YOUR BACK - BACKSTABBING - DON'T KNOW A darn THING coworkers I encountered. So I offer encouragement to not be afraid of whats outside of PBSO. There are greener pastures and not the ones over the septic tank. The comm center was over the septic tank.
    I know you're not talking about another agency in PBC. Most city dispatchers can't come close to a PBSO dispatcher. Our guys and girls are among the best. Keep up the good work and always remember there isn't a better place to work. I've been all over the southeast and haven't found it.

Well this is my 2 cents worth, for whoever cares anyhow. First of all, don't think of commo as all the "Girls" because there are some guys to, including my self. Second, I agree with Disp, I love my job, and I do get upset with some of the Road Guys, but it's nothing I try to hold a grudge against. Next, to who ever is saying that Dispatchers don't deserve to get the same pay or be on the same level as a Deputy as far as pay is concerned, you come up stairs for one night, just one shift, and then you tell me that. You sit and try to do my job for one night, and you may have a new respect for what we do. I will admit, when I go to work I don't have to worry about wearing a Vest, carrying a Gun, or watching my back all the time, but I do have to worry about watching yours. We are expected to be 100% accurate with what we do all the time, and there are some Supervisors (both on the road and in dispatch) that call us on it every time!
    I will say, that I respect each and every Deputy who works out there day after day, and does what he/she needs to do, and does it with out question.
    One thing I do wonder though, if some of you all respect your dispatchers, why would you even question our pay, and us not being on par with a Deputy? If we wern't there, what would you do? Are you able to talk on the radio, call ems, and put someone out on a 1050 all at the same time? Would you be able to after our 16 week training program? Just a thought.....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast