PBSO Communications Center Breakdown - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Disp is a hard job, no doubting it. But to say that they should get the same pay and benney's is preposturious! I started in disp. When I saw how bad the job was and how lousy the pay and retirement was, I put in for LE and got accepted. If they want more money and a better retirement, put in for LE or Detention. It's that simple.

In my district, the dispatchers work hard. The deputies are pushing calls, and the dispatchers are doing the same. I give them credit for the hard work they do. Even when they get the, "ATTITUDE," on the radio. That one is for you Dave. You know what i'm talking about!
    Don't be so worried about pay, and benefits. They can get a piece of the pie just like the rest of us. They earn it. If you don't agree, your probably one of those guys on channel one who goes 10-40 during 10-33. And yes, you know who you are. :!: :!: :!:

guest06

Im guessing being in communications didnt teach you anything. I cant believe you posted the message that you did. No everyone's pay should match the job that you do. I can honestly say I dont think dispatcher's deserve the same pay grade as a d/s but I do beleive we deserve to be high risk. Everyone's situation is different and there are alot of single parents in communications that cant go to the road because of family issues so good for you that your a d/s now but if that's the case why did you use communications as your stepping stone to go to the road?? why didnt you just apply for law enforcement?? And do you work ot in commo?? so you dont mind coming up as much as it is to get your $30 dollars and hour. Oh and Im probably sure you still pretend to be friends with these people you talk so poorly about. You need to take a good look at where u are and remember where u came from.

Commo

Dispatchers need to fix the problems with in their own ranks before complaining about others (supervisors) or other things. When you have a brand new hire class with every one in the class having some form of experience with other agencies, and a dispatcher who is now a supervisor comes in right off the bat and says "I love my job, I get to tell deputies what to do" and if that’s not bad enough, "Its not hard sitting in a green and white looking pretty try doing my job." I wander why certain deputies have so much distain for certain dispatchers.

Remember one thing, if you give deputies cell phones we could do your job, but you could not jump in our green and whites and do ours. With the computers coming in, your job will get easier and maybe with in the near future obsolete.

This does not apply to BIG

Re: PBSO Communications Center Breakdown

Quote Originally Posted by Guestfromthedarkside
    When is someone going to take the courage to recognize that the span of control for dispatchers to deputies is DANGEROUS. A road patrol Sergeant routinely supervises between five and fifteen people, but what justification does "anyone" have to have between 50 and sometimes 100 different deputies from different assignments (TAC, CP, Road, CSA's, Motors & Traffic, and sometimes OCB agents and Detectives) all on the same channel for one dispatcher. The nationwide standard is 35 to 1. Commo has always been treated like the red-headed step child. One day the attrition is going to dwindle perosnnel down to nothing but supervisors; and we all know everyone wants to be a supervisor at PBSO because they know they don't have to work anymore. Working supervisors are a dying breed and it shows. All of the worker-bees will eventually flee the flock.
    If you told road deputies that they had to find another deputy to fill in for their vacation days, there is no doubt the doo-doo would hit the fan. How would you like to have to beg, plead and borrow with fellow co-workers just so you can take time off to get your head back together and wind down and then be told that one of the days in the middle of your vacation isn't covered so you'll have to come in. No wonder people drop out of the Comm Center in droves. (This doesn't happen in HR, Accounting, Corrections, Records, etc...) On top of the vacation time burden the commo girls are subjected to (by the way supervisors and managment don''t have to find a replacement for their vacation); Comp time is routinely denied whcih is a VIOLATION of FEDERAL FLSA law. Comp can't be denied with proper notification. If it is denied and there is no "True emergency" its then its a violation, but management won't telll you that and they'll keep breaking the law and violating the rules until someone says NO. It is unacceptable and this is a routine and practice that has cultivated a crisis where deputies have to supplement the staffing. How can you call Commo a career when these obstacles are stacked in front of you as tall as the Empire State Building.
    The solution is a 35 to 1 ratio for dispatchers combined with the new computer system of lap top capability. It's sad that management won't touch the 35 to 1 issue.
    Law enforcement, Corrections, and every other divison in the Sheriff's Office doesn't have an issue with retaining and training personnel, but Commo does. These girls are treated just like constitutionally sworn deputies during hurricanes or state of emergencies. They're right there on 10/100 status with law enforcement and corrections and their level of commitment is higher than any of the other civilian positions, but the civilains in accounting and Human Resources get paid an equal salary with a less than adequate level of commitment. Yes, money is the issue. It is with life and everything else. If money wasn't an issue why are these retired guys and gals begging to come back. They either don't have a life or they're scamming the system and double dipping and if they're taking a senior management position, they're hurting the agency with their dinosaur mentality.
    One thing is undeniable, it is easier to get rid of a supervisor, manager or any other high ranking offical than it is to get rid of the workers. When a crisis hits a police department and causes problems, the chief is the first to go. Supervisors can be changed like the weather, but the job has to get done. Stop getting rid of the workers and hold those responsible for the problems accountable for once, just once please.
    Dispatchers need to fix the problems with in their own ranks before complaining about others (supervisors) or other things. When you have a brand new hire class with every one in the class having some form of experience with other agencies, and a dispatcher who is now a supervisor comes in right off the bat and says "I love my job, I get to tell deputies what to do" and if that’s not bad enough, "Its not hard sitting in a green and white looking pretty try doing my job." I wander why certain deputies have so much distain for certain dispatchers.

Remember one thing, if you give deputies cell phones we could do your job, but you could not jump in our green and whites and do ours. With the computers coming in, your job will get easier and maybe with in the near future obsolete.

Re: Commo

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy 1

Alrighty then!!!! The next time you're faced with someone attempting to KICK YO **** right after you've approached them (after making an incorrect traffic stop-TLC-) and asked for their registration, JUST GRABBED YOUR CELL PHONE AND CALL FOR BACK UP!!! PS-Make sure your **** GOT THE FAMILY PLAN WITH NEXTEL,..--SO YOU COULD CALL AT LEAST TWO OTHER DEPUTIES AT THE SAME TIME!!! SINCE YOU DON'T NEED A DISPTACHER!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

[quote=Oh No U Didn't]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Deputy 1":lrryf0wn

Alrighty then!!!! The next time you're faced with someone attempting to KICK YO **** right after you've approached them (after making an incorrect traffic stop-TLC-) and asked for their registration, JUST GRABBED YOUR CELL PHONE AND CALL FOR BACK UP!!! PS-Make sure your **** GOT THE FAMILY PLAN WITH NEXTEL,..--SO YOU COULD CALL AT LEAST TWO OTHER DEPUTIES AT THE SAME TIME!!! SINCE YOU DON'T NEED A DISPTACHER!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:[/quote:lrryf0wn]

I’m sorry for my previous posts and I made an acronym out of my name just for you.

Deputy 1 = Dispatcher Every Person Understands That You’re 1 of the most important parts in the law enforcement field and I’m truly sorry for ragging on you.

[quote=Deputy 1 Who's Sorry][quote="Oh No U Didn't":18yu6eix]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Deputy 1":18yu6eix

Alrighty then!!!! The next time you're faced with someone attempting to KICK YO **** right after you've approached them (after making an incorrect traffic stop-TLC-) and asked for their registration, JUST GRABBED YOUR CELL PHONE AND CALL FOR BACK UP!!! PS-Make sure your **** GOT THE FAMILY PLAN WITH NEXTEL,..--SO YOU COULD CALL AT LEAST TWO OTHER DEPUTIES AT THE SAME TIME!!! SINCE YOU DON'T NEED A DISPTACHER!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:[/quote:18yu6eix]

I’m sorry for my previous posts and I made an acronym out of my name just for you.

Deputy 1 = Dispatcher Every Person Understands That You’re 1 of the most important parts in the law enforcement field and I’m truly sorry for ragging on you. [/quote:18yu6eix]

Let me teach you something about officer safety (and no it’s not the practice of safe guarding your counsel from the soda that you spilt so you don't get shocked)

Since commo is a waste of time and utterly worthless, I have someone with a real computer, every time I give him a 28 he runs it, gives me the info and can automatically runs the R.O. My shift/unit wolf packs, we take care of each other. We always have back up and we work on a side channel (while one of radios are on the main channel so that we can monitor other deputies around the district), we never let just one person handle a traffic stop and we always know where everyone is. Trust me it’s a lot safer than relying on commo (especially when there too busy trying to be clever by making up ridiculous acronyms). The only time commo hears my voice is when I go 10-8,10-7 or when the traffic stop is all done and I have people in custody, then and only then do I switch to the respective channel and it's only for a case number and to go on record that I made a 10-15. Trust me, commo is not, and will never be the deciding factor on weather or not I get my butt kicked.

I don't know why you are getting so upset. We both get what we want, you don't have to do any work, and I can get my job done, in a timely manner and a lot safer. As far as I am concerned it’s a win win situation.

1 more time

I said it once and I will say it AGAIN ! ! ! Commo does NOT have it easy in ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM ! ! NO I was never a PBSO dispatcher, but I have worked OT up there, but it was a few years ago. I used to work the 4 hour shifts up there either from 3-7 or 7-11.....Let me tell ya, at the end of 4 hours during that time frame, I could actually FEEL the tension and stress. It is a HIGH stress level job. I don’t hold it against the people up there for trying to get the high risk pension. It doesn’t take away from me.
    All I can suggest is give yourselves a SHOCK and the commo people a BREAK and actually go up there and pick up the phones and type up a call and listen to the junk they take from people calling in. We all know how it is...people get a BIG MOUTH when they are on the phone and then are like mice when we get there...go figure.

I have had issues with dispatchers too…WE ALL HAVE. But look at the big picture. GO UP THERE AND SIT IN THEIR SHOES FOR A SHIFT ! ! You are guaranteed to get a new perspective. I think it should be part of FTO training for a rookie to go up there for a week. It’s a Humbling experience to say the least.

Im thinking of creating a bumper sticker for my grn/wht that says I LOVE MY DISPATCHER. I love you guys upstairs! Especially when other districts are calling out 10-40's in the middle of a 10-33 or during a in progress call/traffic stop and dispatch puts them in place. Its good to know that commo understands who needs radio priority etc. I understand there jobs is very difficult as is ours so I will support them whenever.

Thank you for your part in making sure I GO HOME ALIVE EVERY NIGHT!
    and will keep in mind that when the stress level rises and it becomes apperent over the radio, I will not answer with attitudes or sarcasms remarks.

PS...I was kidding about the bumper sticker, but the sentiment is true.

From a southend district 1 D/S NIGHTS.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast