PBSO Communications Center Breakdown - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Dispatchers deserve the same bennies: salary and high -risk retirment as sworn employees.

No, their job isnt dangerous, but it is much harder than ours.

Here's the litmus test. Most dispatchers could be deputies if they wanted to be.

Only a small fraction of deputies could be dispatchers if they wanted to be.

If you think I'm wrong, go watch them in action for an hour, just sit there, shut up and watch. It'll be a real eye opener for you.

Commo

You have got to be kidding about the paying Dispatchers the same as Deputies with a High Risk pension. How about the following instead:

1. Unlimited Fudge
    2. Membership to a gym
    3. Attitude Re-Training
    4. Application and good reference for employment at Denny's

P.S. Get over it, it you don’t like your job just quit.

TO Just Kidding

Hey Just Kidding,
    I dare you to Identify your self... I bet you won't. You obviously have no idea what happen's in Commo. I bet you are one of the those Deputies who give us all the attitude, think we are a "Burden" when we 1004 check you, or just plain don't know how to talk on a radio. I also challenge you to come up stairs and observe for one hour. Just one hour, and see what its like, again I don't ever think you will be man or woman enough to, but come up stairs and sit, and we will let you work a little, just to see what its like.

P.S. I do love my job, but I have ingrate's like you!

Re: Commo

Quote Originally Posted by Your Kidding
    You have got to be kidding about the paying Dispatchers the same as Deputies with a High Risk pension. How about the following instead:

1. Unlimited Fudge
    2. Membership to a gym
    3. Attitude Re-Training
    4. Application and good reference for employment at Denny's

P.S. Get over it, it you don’t like your job just quit.

All those nice comments and then we get a jackass like "your kidding". I guess there always has to be one. i'll refrain from replying with immature remarks like you typed. instead if you have so many negative things to say about Commo, i suggest you take a trip up here and tell them to my face. Look for Scott !!!!

All those nice comments and then we get a jackarse like "your kidding". I guess there always has to be one. i'll refrain from replying with immature remarks like you typed. instead if you have so many negative things to say about Commo, i suggest you take a trip up here and tell them to my face. Look for Scott !!!![/quote]

I must agree.......Even if its just for grins and giggles, take a few hours and go up there one time.....Pick up a headset and answer a few phone calls......You wont be grinning long. It will give you a new appreciation for what they have to do up there.....Eating at your station rather than getting to take a break and eat in peace.....getting "in line" to use the bathroom.....People will cal about and DEAMAND we respond.....ever wonder how many stupid calls we DONT go on???? You might be surprised. I used to work OT up there answering the phones.......after a 4 hour shot of that, sometimes you are ready to just get drunk and forget.....
    All jokes aside, go up and get the BIGGEST SURPRISE yuo have had in a while. If you still feel they dont deserve more than they have, then you must be the one refered to as "Super Trooper".

Well, it seems that there are opposing views to what we (disp) do or don't deserve. You know what they say about "opinions"... Those nay-sayers on the road are likely the ones that are dissatisfied with what "they" get in pay and bennies. Some people will NEVER be satisfied. Some people have the current generation's sense of entitlement...

I had some pretty witty responses to the bonehead a few posts above, including comments about "fudge" - I'm sure you know all about that... and "gym memberships" - I can bench more than you, and yes, I'm just a girrrl... What purpose would that serve but to incite more of the same?

I could speak volumes about the differences in the jobs of road deputies and dispatchers, and never even come close to figuring out who deserves what. Heck, they're advertising ON A POPULAR RADIO STATION that a PD in Dade wants the best of the best and they're willing to pay Officers in the $70s to start. If it were merely a matter of money we'd see a mass convoy of green/whites down I95 to apply, wouldn't we? And yet, I'll bet that many would STILL have something to b!tch about while pulling that kind of salary. Attitudes don't change because of money or bennies... A person's attitude is a direct reflection of their level of commitment, and their character.

One thing is true: A crappy attitude/slacker deputy or dispatcher can make others have a tougher shift. I know for myself when certain people key up on my channel, one of two things can happen: I either crack half a smile or my sphincter tightens up... I'm sure on the road's side of things the same can happen when certain dispatchers go 10-8 on their channels. An attitude can change SO much. I'm not talking about holding hands and singing folk songs... I'm just content with the quality of my job (and my life) and I conduct myself accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by "Denny's" tur
    Well, it seems that there are opposing views to what we (disp) do or don't deserve. You know what they say about "opinions"... Those nay-sayers on the road are likely the ones that are dissatisfied with what "they" get in pay and bennies. Some people will NEVER be satisfied. Some people have the current generation's sense of entitlement...

I had some pretty witty responses to the bonehead a few posts above, including comments about "fudge" - I'm sure you know all about that... and "gym memberships" - I can bench more than you, and yes, I'm just a girrrl... What purpose would that serve but to incite more of the same?

I could speak volumes about the differences in the jobs of road deputies and dispatchers, and never even come close to figuring out who deserves what. Heck, they're advertising ON A POPULAR RADIO STATION that a PD in Dade wants the best of the best and they're willing to pay Officers in the $70s to start. If it were merely a matter of money we'd see a mass convoy of green/whites down I95 to apply, wouldn't we? And yet, I'll bet that many would STILL have something to b!tch about while pulling that kind of salary. Attitudes don't change because of money or bennies... A person's attitude is a direct reflection of their level of commitment, and their character.

One thing is true: A crappy attitude/slacker deputy or dispatcher can make others have a tougher shift. I know for myself when certain people key up on my channel, one of two things can happen: I either crack half a smile or my sphincter tightens up... I'm sure on the road's side of things the same can happen when certain dispatchers go 10-8 on their channels. An attitude can change SO much. I'm not talking about holding hands and singing folk songs... I'm just content with the quality of my job (and my life) and I conduct myself accordingly.
    My error, my response was to be entitled "Denny's turned me down" 8)

you know the "squeeky wheel gets the grease" well commo is the opposite, we don't squeek, least not loud enough. we ARE the red headed step child, always told to do our duty and maybe, just MAYBE, we'll get our dinner, but don't expect it hot! not all of us think it's THAT bad here, but truly it could be MUCH better. i feel that most of the 'issues' are not exactly with policies, per se, but more with co-workers and personel. there must be some underlying issue tho as it seems we keep ppl around just cuz they can do the job, it doesn't even have to be done well either. we have ppl who bend and break rules to stick around or get their way and they're treated better than the ones who break their backs working consistanly throughout the year. who take little vacation/comp days and who are more than willing to help out with calls. when it comes to THEM making a mistake the, perverbial, book is thrown at them and they're put under a microscope, but when a 'career' policy offender does somthing wrong it's a slap on the wrist, a long talke ending with jokes and buddy buddy actions and they're awarded OT for those few mins after their shift. personal is the much larger problem than policies, IMO. From simple call takers/dispatchers up to upper management. someone, somewhere, is litterally sucking the morale out of commo, and we are about to see a shift and change of 'season'. i hope that new season will be a season of good and high morale. this cannot continue successfully.

Commo

Dear Commo,
    May I just say that since I started here 5 yrs ago, I have not had one problem with you. I think you do an incredible job that I freely admit, I could not do. Most of the time, I can tell that the dispatcher has MY safety at priority and usually it seems like she/he bends over backwards to get what I need. I'm not entirely sure why other people have issues with you. Respect on the radio goes both ways. I guess there are one or two cranky voices coming over main, but you would find that anywhere. I came from another agency, and let me tell you, things are very different here. You guys are way more professional, skilled and patient. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

First of all I have to laugh everytime I log onto this web site to see how my fellow co-workers talk about each other and who is or isnt doing there job or who's job is more important. when I got hired years ago I knew there was a bigger picture for me. I instantly gained a family I never in my life dreamed I would have both on the road and in commo. Yes commo is a hard job and we are under appreciated most of the time but for most dispatchers we are here and stay because we love what we do and couldnt see ourselves any place else. No I may not be liked by everyone and I may not like certain people but that shouldnt ever stop us from always being professionally and doing what we have to do. There are alot of things we wish we could change but until we are in a position to make or assist with these changes we have to accept it. Commo and the road need to work with each other and respect our own jobs for what they are and yes if more d/s would come up and see what we do it might give you a whole different outlook. We shouldnt look at whose life expectancy is less or who carries a gun or who sits behind a radio we should look at without each other we couldnt do our jobs properly and make sure everyone goes home at night. I realize everyone needs to vent which is a good thing but we shouldnt be throwing stones non of us we should be sticking together and doing our jobs. And before those of you get started I didnt write this thinking about grammer or run on sentences or anything just trying to make a point. And the next time you d/s are out with some scum bag or an occupied s/10 or one of your zone partners yells for help and the only one that recognizes the voice is your dispatcher and gets that d/s the help they need think about this....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast