THE LIST - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: THE LIST

In response to your suggestion of management classes, you raise a good point. I?ve always been a very strong advocate of training. ?Training? in police work should include a wide variety of topics: From tactics at one end of the spectrum, to people skills at the other end. Theoretically, that would produce a ?well rounded? officer, or supervisor.

However, being able to talk with people is not always something that can be learned. Some leaders have people skills, and some don?t. Just like some cops have them, while others are on a power trip. Fortunately, 95% of us (cops and supervisors alike) do have good people skills. And the majority of us work for supervisors we respect and like.

My point is this: The leaders that already have the skills will be the ones who register for those courses you allude to, because they truly care and want to learn. And the ones who don?t will either never go, or they will ?be sent? and get nothing from the course.

In any event, NSU offers a one-day seminar several times a year titled ?Developing a Leadership Mindset?. It?s geared toward business and government leaders alike. It might be something of interest to the leaders, who wish to attend. Here is the link:

http://www.huizenga.nova.edu/ExecEd/Hud ... ogramID=42

In response to your topic of the law enforcement brotherhood, I agree that it could be stronger in south Florida. Therefore, I propose this: The only way we?re ever going to make it stronger is to come together now and burn it into the minds of new officers. We can?t re-write history, but we do have the ability to bring forth change.

1. The primary responsibility to do this falls upon the FTO.
    2. The secondary responsibility falls upon each and all of us ?
    meaning each and every one of us should take new officers aside
    at some point and have a sit-down with him or her. Even if it?s
    only for five minutes. Explain the importance of the brotherhood
    we speak of. Let them know they can reach out to all of us for
    help.
    3. Above all, we must do away with treating them like S#$T! It?s ok
    to haze, and most of us do this in good spirit. However, to belittle
    them the first week on the job in front of a group of 20 other
    senior cops is unacceptable, and provides for a negative learning
    environment. Most of us don?t do this, but we all know
    two ?instructors? who do.

That?s all I have for now. I hope this sparks some positive discussion.

Very well said. You hit the nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Davie Advocate
    In response to your suggestion of management classes, you raise a good point. I?ve always been a very strong advocate of training. ?Training? in police work should include a wide variety of topics: From tactics at one end of the spectrum, to people skills at the other end. Theoretically, that would produce a ?well rounded? officer, or supervisor.

However, being able to talk with people is not always something that can be learned. Some leaders have people skills, and some don?t. Just like some cops have them, while others are on a power trip. Fortunately, 95% of us (cops and supervisors alike) do have good people skills. And the majority of us work for supervisors we respect and like.

My point is this: The leaders that already have the skills will be the ones who register for those courses you allude to, because they truly care and want to learn. And the ones who don?t will either never go, or they will ?be sent? and get nothing from the course.

In any event, NSU offers a one-day seminar several times a year titled ?Developing a Leadership Mindset?. It?s geared toward business and government leaders alike. It might be something of interest to the leaders, who wish to attend. Here is the link:

http://www.huizenga.nova.edu/ExecEd/Hud ... ogramID=42

In response to your topic of the law enforcement brotherhood, I agree that it could be stronger in south Florida. Therefore, I propose this: The only way we?re ever going to make it stronger is to come together now and burn it into the minds of new officers. We can?t re-write history, but we do have the ability to bring forth change.

1. The primary responsibility to do this falls upon the FTO.
    2. The secondary responsibility falls upon each and all of us ?
    meaning each and every one of us should take new officers aside
    at some point and have a sit-down with him or her. Even if it?s
    only for five minutes. Explain the importance of the brotherhood
    we speak of. Let them know they can reach out to all of us for
    help.
    3. Above all, we must do away with treating them like S#$T! It?s ok
    to haze, and most of us do this in good spirit. However, to belittle
    them the first week on the job in front of a group of 20 other
    senior cops is unacceptable, and provides for a negative learning
    environment. Most of us don?t do this, but we all know
    two ?instructors? who do.

That?s all I have for now. I hope this sparks some positive discussion.

the crazy thing is that the 2 people that treated the most people like sh!t, and have the fewest people skills, and the least amount of personality just got promoted. not that this is any secret

COWARD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dv cop
    the crazy thing is that the 2 people that treated the most people like sh!t, and have the fewest people skills, and the least amount of personality just got promoted. not that this is any secret
    As alot of you know, my email address is daviecop@... This should not be confused with dv cop who is posting on this site. I do not and will not hide behind an assumed screename to bash others in the department. Anyone who knows me, knows that I have no problem with calling a spade, a spade. With this being said, I would appreciate that the coward using the dv cop moniker at least identify him or herself and stop being the coward that they are!

S.D.

You want some suggestions? Here are some suggestions.

Let's get a Chief that realizes we are in the year 2007 and not 1985.

Don't promote people to Captain just because they arrest one of our own officers. Especially when it's quite possibly the worst DUI arrest in history. No road patrol SGT would sign a P/C 1/4 as bad as the one this officer was arrested on. What was the outcome of this arrest? Not guilty and it took the jury less then an hour to come to that conclusion. This officer got his job back and has been put back on our payroll but hasn't been back to work for nearly 3 years. Sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

Stop paying an officer to do the electrical wiring in our police cars. Not only does this guy do a bad job but he's being paid at least 10 hours of overtime per week. Why does this officer get special treatment? Why is this guy even an officer? What POLICE function does this guy hold?

One officer position filled but doesn't have to show up to work. Another officer position filled yet he does not do one police related activity what so ever. Sounds like sound leadership to me.

This department does not promote officer safety and if it does you aren't paying attention very well. Look at 34 zone. It's an island all on its own out there. If something were to go wrong you got one guy out there to fend for himself without another officer to back him up for at least five minutes. Yeah, nothing really happens out there but what happens when something does?

We just took over Pineisland Ridge. From my understanding the residents there were told they would have their own zone and their own officer. Take a look at the dayshift roster for the past few months. 22/25 zone have been doubled up. If you thought 22 zone was big before try adding another 10,000 residents to that zone. I hope some Pineisland Ridge residents are reading this. Maybe they will realize that they are not getting any better protection then they were before they were taken over by Davie.

I heard about an incident on dayshift where an east side rookie female officer sounded like she was in trouble on the radio. A west side officer responded to her in emergency mode believing that the other officer needed help. Once everything was settled it turned out she did not need any help and that she may have let her nerves get the best of her on a B.S. call where some richard head was running away from her.. Anyway, the responding officer from the west was told not to drive so far out of his zone next time. What the hell is that? A LT. telling an officer not to respond to a call when he believes someone may be in trouble?

I can write on here for hours but I'll end this here... I'll be back to add some more later.

people will be promoted regardless of background and ability someone has to be in charge...but this batch in the last few years are more worried about call times and paperwork....where was this passion when they were on the road? i guess they fell right in line like the rest so much for the vote of no confidence ...... it doesnt just apply to the chief enjoy the coffee while we bust our asses

the two new sgts should help the road because theyre both good guys

Why

Why isn't our lobby open to anyone that wants to come in at any hour of the evening? Isn't it safer for a citizen to walk into an open police lobby with a uniformed officer in it rather then being greeted by a locked door?

Why doesn't our crime scene unit work 24 hours a day? Why do officers dust for finger prints on burglaries themselves?

Why is this place still being run like some podunk town?

Re: THE LIST

guess not much has changed ......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12