Polygraphs at Collier - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    We never used or trusted the polygraph. Good background investigators are the best method to get the best applicants. But since some rose colored glasses wearers dislike my opinion of their paradise here are a few more opinions.

"Polygraph testing now rests on weak scientific underpinnings despite nearly a century of study. And much of the available evidence for judging its validity lacks scientific rigor."
    National Academy of Sciences National Research Council
    1997 Journal of Applied Psychology survey put the polygraph test's accuracy rate at only 61 percent

Polygraph evidence is generally inadmissible in court because, as Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas noted in his majority opinion in the 1998 case U.S. v. Scheffer, "there is simply no consensus that polygraph evidence is reliable."

"[Polygraph screening] is completely without any theoretical foundation and has absolutely no validity...the diagnostic value of this type of testing is no more than that of astrology or tea-leaf reading."
    Dr. Drew C. Richardson, FBI Laboratory

"Tests that produce few of these types of errors, such as those currently used by several federal agencies, will not catch most major security violators – and still will incorrectly flag truthful people as deceptive."
    National Academy of Sciences National Research Council

"The idea of basing any significant decision on the basis of a polygraph exam is ignorant, it's foolish, it's dangerous."
    Dr. David Lykken, past president of the Society for Psychophysiological Research

"Polygraph testing has been the gold standard, but it's obviously fool's gold."
    Prof. Stephen E. Fienberg
    Chairman, Committee to Review the Scientific Evidence on the Polygraph
    National Academy of Sciences

"Whether it is screening applicants or screening employees, the polygraph is a failure. I suspect that its days as a screening tool are deservedly near an end."
    former FBI Special Agent Mark Mallah

"[The CIA's] reliance on the polygraph is truly insane"
    former CIA Director John M. Deutch

"The FBI uses the polygraph as an investigative tool and cautions that the results should not be relied upon to the exclusion of other evidence or knowledge obtained during the course of an investigation. This policy is based upon the fact that, a) the polygraph technique has not reached a level of acceptability within the relevant scientific community, b) scientific research has not been able to establish the true validity of polygraph testing in criminal applications, c) there is a lack of standardization within the polygraph community for training and for conducting polygraph examinations." James Murphy, Director FBI Polygraph Unit

"The best studies of polygraph tests, using real-life cases and published in top scientific journals, find that innocent people fare little better than chance on these tests, with 40% or more failing on average." William G. Iacono, Ph.D.
    Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience University of Minnesota
    To the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee Hearing, 2001 "Issues Surrounding the Use of Polygraphs"

"The polygraph is not perfect. Honest people have "failed" polygraph examinations while dishonest people have "passed" them. The polygraph is intrusive and may be abused. If misused, the polygraph can cause morale to deteriorate and ruin the careers of innocent people." -
    Jeffrey H. Smith, former CIA general counsel
    Why does collier put so much credit on the polygraph? I for one know for a fact it is not reliable based on experience. :?:

It is simply a political tool for Don Hugo and his minions.

a polygraph can be a great tool for a guy with good interview skills but it should not be a deciding factor in discipline. the polygriphers at the ccso are heavy handed and they probably have small johnsons.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    a polygraph can be a great tool for a guy with good interview skills but it should not be a deciding factor in discipline. the polygriphers at the ccso are heavy handed and they probably have small johnsons.
    I AGREE, HOWEVER THEY SURE LIKE TO THROW THAT WORD AROUND!

I too was victim of CCSO polygrahers

I too was the victim of a CCSO Polygrapher. I was moving along well in the 'Out of Town' processing and all was going well when I flew home. Then a few weeks went by and BAM in the mail comes a letter that said that due to my "Inability to remain awake during the polygraph the examiner was unable to make an evaluation." I did NOT fall asleep during the polygraph. I closed my eyes because the damn AC was kickin in that office and was dryin my eyes out something fierce, but not once did I hesitate or anything else that would have indicated I was asleep, I think that they video tape those and if they do I would love to see my tape. It's all good though I am still with the agency I started with and PASSED A POLY for....It worked out, I haven't been able to sell the house I own right now and there's no way I could afford to live in Collier... Might be relocating soon to destinations Elsewhere in Florida////// Stay safe out there gang. The poly guys are wired wrong, it's not there fault :roll:

Another horror story that Don Hugo will ignore.

I know of several agency members that have had polygraph issues and still work here. Some are management and others are in very good jobs.
    Why do some get fired and others still are here?

What? Different discipline in similar offenses? That could not happen - think again.

The conspiracy theorists of this agency crack me up.

I get a good chuckle from some of these posts.

The belief in utopia is ignorant.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast