Ratting out each other for speeding
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Ratting out each other for speeding

Being on the outside of your department and retired from another police department I'm shocked what your own people do to each other. How can you call yourselves one big happy family when guys are ratting each other out for driving fast?

If someone is going to rat you out for fast driving what's next? Taking an extra 5 minutes for lunch because you have to take a bowel movement? Seeing your wife while on patrol, stopping talking for a minute, then kissing her good bye?

I now understand why your department can't fill it's quota. Who wants to spend more time worrying about their brother and sister officers then the crooks and creeps on the street.

If I need backup quick I don't want to worry about the fact that the guys coming to save me are the same ones I dimed out last month.

KEEP AWAY FROM THE CHEESE!

Many of us take speeding and the deadly accidents they cause seriously and also take the heat from the motorist we are citing for the same infraction and they want to know why they were passed by a CCSO car going 80 with no lights on. A deadly crash that kills my children will not soften my heart knowing it was only a fellow deputy that did it while speeding to another false alarm. Basic common sense is....if you're going to haul but to a call above the speed limit **Turn on your blue lights!** Authorized or not will not matter to the FHP trooper working the crash you were in, only how fast you were going and if your lights were on or not! If your supervisor sees you responding to somthing with them on and he hadn't told you to respond that way, then have the fortitude to tell him or her that you made the decision to turn them on because either way you were going to respond to the situation well above the speed limit and more than likely justifiably so. If there's flak from that- then take your time responding to every call and see what John Q public says when you tell him why it takes so long... I have to step down from m soap box now

I spent my share of time doing traffic enforcement and writing accident reports. So your statement about the traffic concerns was touching. If you take the time to answer every motorist who gets a ticket questions then you are one busy officer.

My original statement was why one of your own men ratted out a fellow officer to IAD. If you can't come up with a reasonable excuse for why he did it not to worry...because there is no reason to rat another officer out for driving fast.

speeding issues

This is an example of how that agency is run. Instead of stopping the fellow officer and saying "hey, you better slow it down or you'll end up in IA" they'd rather you go ahead and try to destroy him. You're exactly right, those are the types of reasons that Hunter cant fill his ranks with anyone other than robots. No one is allowed to think on their own. Yes he should have been stopped and given a tongue lashing seeing how one was a sgt and the offender was a cpl, this could have been done. All larger perspective is that an agency like that will implode as its doing and has been doing for a few years.

speeding issues

This is an example of how that agency is run. Instead of stopping the fellow officer and saying "hey, you better slow it down or you'll end up in IA" they'd rather you go ahead and try to destroy him. You're exactly right, those are the types of reasons that Hunter cant fill his ranks with anyone other than robots. No one is allowed to think on their own. Yes he should have been stopped and given a tongue lashing seeing how one was a sgt and the offender was a cpl, this could have been done. All larger perspective is that an agency like that will implode as its doing and has been doing for a few years.

He we go… YOU again!

Why do you find it necessary to come to our forum and spread your negative, old timer mentality when you have NO clue who we are and what we do. This is the second time now that you have come here and TOLD us how you are retired and from another agency, all in an attempt to show us how we are doing it wrong.

It is obvious that you have;

1. Too much time on your hands

2. Probably a reputation at your last agency as someone who liked to complain ALL the time.

3. Someone who thinks they KNOW it all.

4. Done the least throughout your career and yet acts as if you have done it all.
    5. Are from a blue state during the elections (You know, a donkey symbol)

It is your comments, style and beliefs that have given law enforcement the reputation we have today. Thanks for handing this generation the donut eating, above the law, union pushing (I want everything but do not want to do anything in return attitude) stereo type. Thanks to you, our generation has to work that much harder to earn back the respect of the public and ourselves.

Your narrow minded opinion and sharp tongue does nothing but make us steadfast in our attempt to educate you with the facts.

1. We do not have quota’s here, we are allowed to write as many tickets as we want.

2. There is no such thing as “Ratting” someone out. That was a term glorified by Hollywood movies back in the 50’s. It no longer applies some 55 years later. It is now called being accountable for your actions.

3. It is not against policy to take an extra 5 minutes for dinner because we do not have a union and we eat when we can, covering our partners in zone when it is their turn. It’s called teamwork and we do not watch the clock!

4. No one cares if you happen to see your family out while on patrol. This agency is family orientated and we even have a “Family Day Picnic” every year which attendance is encouraged by the Sheriff himself. He too is a family man and believes in Family First and the event is paid for by the agency!

5. The media had a field day several years ago embarrassing our agency for excessive speeding while not on a call. The Sheriff has warned us numerous times that this behavior is not acceptable and rightfully so! The liability it places us in is not warranted nor appreciated. It shows immaturity and exclaims to the public a negative sense of respect, self control and lack of confidence that we hold ourselves to a higher standard.

6. The person YOU think “Dime’d” out the deputy that was speeding WAS Internal Affairs. It was not another road cop as you suggested. It is a sergeant assigned to that job, just doing his job, just like anybody else in the agency. If you have a problem with that, which I am sure you do, then look no further than yourself to thank. You are the reason that the I.A. job exists…to counteract the affects of your generation and restore public trust.

Your mentality towards the public, the profession and to your fellow officers is a sad, non-proven method, old school, ridiculous and an embarrassing legacy.

Times have changed in law enforcement, some for the better and some not, but the times HAVE changed. If you are unable to accept this fact then sit in misery and reminisce of how it use to be but please stop putting down your fellow law enforcement brothers for trying to adapt to new times and expectations. We expect this attitude from the public but not from one of our own.

We took the job for the same reasons as you so do not fault us because we are forced to play with a new set of rules. It’s the same job, just more complicated!

Give us a break….brother?

If it is just one big happy family of well paid officers in mutual love with the command staff while marching lockstep to the rule book...then why can't this super duper agency fill its ranks? The department is constantly looking to hire people.

As for your forum sorry but it is a forum which allows guests to post and does not require a password so it is a public forum. Just think in paradise nobody ever says a harsh word against the Sheriff and his policies.

You are not doing it wrong unless you are a member of the command staff. Why do you take everything so personal?

1, Quotas of course not...but leaving out the full term "as many or as few as we want" is a dead giveaway.

2. Ratting out someone is still ratting out someone. Unless you are one of the ones who do it then "being accountable for your actions" sounds so much nicer then being a called a RAT.

3. Take that extra 5 minutes then and use it to exam your own career and your choices. Siding with rats is not what any sane cop would call smart.

4. Nice family picnic..."attendance is encouraged by the Sheriff himself" so be there or else. "Paid for by the agency" my tax dollars are going for a picnic?

5. The media will always be a problem. Our solution was no more courtesy for the members of the media.

6. IAD out at 3AM...and you wonder why you need a union?????????

Your mentality towards the public, the profession and to your fellow officers is a sad, non-proven method, old school, ridiculous and an embarrassing legacy. So everything and everybody before YOU became a cop sucked?

Times have changed in law enforcement, some for the better and some not, but the times HAVE changed. If you are unable to accept this fact then sit in misery and reminisce of how it use to be but please stop putting down your fellow law enforcement brothers for trying to adapt to new times and expectations. We expect this attitude from the public but not from one of our own. You want the 21st century then I suggest you join a union otherwise unless you are the Sheriff himself you could get fired also. If you think my comments are insulting to the average street cop then you're not a street cop.

We took the job for the same reasons as you so do not fault us because we are forced to play with a new set of rules. It’s the same job, just more complicated! It's not a new set of rules...it's new rules added on top of old rules which have been in place since Robert Peel.

Give us a break….brother? Don't question mark this statement it is a sad ploy on your part to attempted to validate your points over mine.

as for myself

1. Too much time on your hands...Never enough time in the day it seems

2. Probably a reputation at your last agency as someone who liked to complain ALL the time...Never really had to complain we had a great union to protect us while we protected the public.

3. Someone who thinks they KNOW it all...A double Masters and 20+ years in streets that are active 24/7 ALL YEAR. But I still have an open mind and willing to listen without fear of getting spanked.

4. Done the least throughout your career and yet acts as if you have done it all...I worked patrol and investigations and I even past a few tests and made rank. But I never forgot where I came from. I must have done something right, I went out on a medical for a back injury but was offered a civilian job at the academy.

5. Are from a blue state during the elections (You know, a donkey symbol) I've been a registered Republican since I was 18.

0 for 5 you must be a house mouse. Your wonderful attitude and rose colored glasses say to me you are either someone with rank who needs to be a cheerleader to keep the rank or someone who has to be very polite and proper because you can't leave and go somewhere else.

WOW, I don't even have a college education and you proved my point.

Paradise,

Through all your whimsical posts, it's quite evident that you:

1. Have too much time on your hands

2. Probably a reputation at your agency as someone who complains about how everyone you work with are slugs and how unappreciated you are.

3. Someone who thinks they KNOW it all. (Yeah sounds like you)

4. Done the least throughout your career and yet acts as if you have done it all. (Yep)

5. Are from a red state but act like a donkey.

BTW, to the poster signing off of his "soapbox". Please stay on your soapbox because you are amusing at best.

Dear Guest,
    Why do you degrade a agency you know nothing about? I am from an out of state agency and one where unions use to be strong. But I can tell you that for the most part, being union only means that the officers of that particular union receive any type of measurable remuneration. Yes, they do protect their members to a point but I don't really want to work with someone who can't do their own job and needs a union to keep it. That makes the work twice as hard for me because I have to do their job AND mine.
    As for the other postings, If you are speeding, and it's not on a call, then you should be disciplined! I agree with Paradise, we are not here to "bully" the public, but to work with them. And before you make any kind of un-intelligent statement, let me say this, If you are wrong, I'll be there to throw the switch. BUT, if you are right, I'll go to the wall with you! I am an active LEO and I hold a supervisor's postition. Why should a supervisor or any other LEO take a chance on loosing all they have worked for because another LEO wants to play cops and robbers and exhibits a teenage mentality? If you play, you pay!!!
    When you have a problem inside the dept. then it's the supervisor's responsibility to correct it. I have read numerous articles in the Naples Daily News concerning the speeding infractions that have been investigated by this dept. and I can't honestly say I'd do it any differently. This has obviously been a problem for sometime. Maybe you don't know about the deputy who was drag racing and posting times and dates on line to do this illegal act.
    The agency seems to be sound as far as I can see. The deputy just recently investigated was given 11 hours suspension I believe. That's not quite a death sentence. Seems to me he could have been fired for conduct unbecoming or other reasons... But this type of activity leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Especially the citizens who are paying for the take home car program which could be pulled because of this type of activity.
    The deputy was reported for going over 100mph. He stated he was only going 75. What's the difference, speeding is speeding unless he can justify it by being on a call or other legit. reasons.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast