Organization to Sue people that make False Complaints

Poll: Would you be interested in a Non-Profit Organization to assist Deputies in sueing those who file Fal

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Organization to Sue people that make False Complaints

Who here has had an Internal Affairs investigation or Review because someone, for some screwed up motivation, makes a blatantly false complaint against you? The problem is, Internal Affairs doesn't like going after these people, so people feel free to make all the complaints they want because they don't like being arrested or having their friends arrested.

I've been speaking with a lawyer friend about starting a non-profit organization; a team that would file lawsuits on behalf of deputies that have had false complaints lodged against them. The PBA doesn't engage in this because it's out of their realm of expertise.

I believe that hitting these people in their pockets and making it publicly known would have a dramatic effect in the way people file their complaints. I think that if people had a real fear of being sued for filing a false complaint, the practice would all but disappear. There are plenty of watchdog groups out there for people against the cops - we need to have a watchdog group that fights for the cops.

The way I was thinking about structuring it is this:
    In any recovery, 50% goes to the deputy, 30% goes to the attorney and 20% goes to the organization for operating costs and expenses. Anything that the organization can't cover, I would personally take care of; The deputy would not have to pay anything out of his pocket.

I am considering this because I am sick and tired of people making false complaints against us, tying up our time, putting paper in our files and making it harder to advance in our career. On the back of the Internal Affairs brochure, it warns people that false complaints can result in their arrest or the deputy seeking civil damages, however, I think this is a very rare event. It is clear that the administration doesn't do a lot to discourage this behavior so it is up to us to do it ourselves.

I personally had two of these incidents. The second is so blatantly false, that the complainant contradicts herself in her statement several times. The allegation was made because the complainant’s friend was arrested and the complainant felt that if he/she made the complaint, it would look bad for us. This IA tied up my career for eight months that I consider lost. I am putting together a complaint for civil court in the amount of $31,500 against the false IA complainant.

I don't personally care if I win or lose; I could care less about the money. Even if the complaint is not granted, it will still cost them money to fight it. Any money that is won will be used for this non-profit organization to help my other brethren take care of business and let these people know that false complaints will not be tolerated.

Let me know what you think about this idea and if there is enough interest, I'll start the organization, assemble a team and get to work.

Heck - I wish I could do a post on this. To the moderator - is there any way to turn this into a voting post? If so, would you please do so?

*Mod 1 added the poll questions and made this topic a Sticky and the below information.*

Only registered users can vote in polls. You can remain anonymous by registering with any free email address. You can use a made up name to get the free email address at Yahoo, Gmail, or many others.

MOD 1

Heck yeah - someone needs to do something about these complaints. It's not enough that the administration encourages complaints but most of them have no foundation or are completely false. In my years of law enforcement, I've had about ten IA's and only one had any validity to it... of course, it was exonerated because it was in the course of duty. I support it, man!

You obviously have no concept of the administrative investigation process. You both obviously have had a lot of complaints that IA has not substanciated. This doesn't mean the complaints were false. Maybe you both should do some investigation and get the correct information before posting. Better yet, start acting professional and you won't get complaints filed against you.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT01
    You both sound like a bunch of morons. You obviously have no concept of the administrative investigation process. You both obviously have had a lot of complaints that IA has not substanciated. This doesn't mean the complaints were false. Maybe you both should do some investigation and get the correct information before posting BS. Better yet, start acting professional and you won't get complaints filed against you.
    Please tell me what relevance the administrative investigative process has to do with people filing false complaints against deputies. You mean to tell me that because there is an administrative investigative process, that you can weed out false complaints?

So, you are telling me that people don't make up complaints against deputies? Maybe it is YOU that should do some investigating. As a sergeant, you probably get tons of complaints, most a load of crap and some completely made up. If you don't, you are probably a Parks or Airport SGT - it's hard to complain on someone because you don't like the way they handled your suitcase.

Deputies that do their jobs, bust their humps and act professionally probably get more frivolous complaints than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT01
    You both obviously have had a lot of complaints that IA has not substanciated. This doesn't mean the complaints were false.
    I dont think hes talking about complaints that were simply unsubstanciated. I think hes talking about complaints that are actually false. At least thats what I get out of his post when he says malicious false complaints. Of course I could be wrong.

If these have received many malicious complaints as they allege, they should be fired. While a working Deputy may generate complaints, it is the few that receive a lot. We don't need to be working with or depending on these law enforcement officers because they attempt to skirt the law and the rules. If a Deputy is professional and does his job correctly, they receive the fewest complaints. I like when people who know nothing of the administrative investigation process attempt to post something they are ignorant of and then attempt to attack the writer. Just proves again these type of people are in the wrong profession.

Sgt 01, you have that right. These DS obviously have no clue what they are talking about. You can tell that by the tone of their post. They want to attack someone because of inmaturity and lack of knowledge of what they are speaking. You are right on based on your posts. It is true a DS who works in a high crime area and/or is pro-active will generate complaints on occassion, but if that same DS is professional in his dealings with the public, the complaints are reduced. These guys also forget the Sheriff personally reviews all complaints. I bet if we knew their real names and weren't hiding behind a screen name, we would find out they are "frequent flyers", people whose names are continually being complained on. This shows their lack of professionalism. Maybe they should actually concentrate on doing their jobs correctly, not taking shortcuts, instead of trying to form some quasi legal foundation to cover their mistakes.

I think that it's a great idea. Good thing the PBA thought of it two years ago and passed legislation in Tallahasse. So, it is already something that you can sue for. Stop bashing the PBA and call them once in awhile to see exactly what things they're working on for us. If it wasn't for the PBA we'd still be in the dark ages as far as pay and benefits.
    And, NO I'm not a rep, just a member like the rest of us.

Go to a Street Survival Seminar and stay the third day (you have to pay more). The WHOLE day is spent on how to civil sue parties that slander or commit libel.

You also learn how agencies stop alot of bogus complaints by putting the text on the form about being open for civil lawsuit...

It doesn't take a lot of false complaints - just one false allegation, to wreck a career.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast