114th Transitional Recruit Curriculum

114th Transitional Recruit Curriculum

Does anybody know when this is scheduled to start? If the application process was started in mid January, would I be able to attend that transition class? I am currently cerified and employed at an SO.

Also, for prior service, what are the chances of getting assigned to Troop B or G ?

Thanks

The 114th Basic Class starts on March 4th, 2007 and is 30 weeks long. The transitional part of the 114th is the last nine weeks of the academy (week 21), so you can do the math to get a general idea of when it will start.

Where are you in the application process? Have you filled out the 20 page supplemental application or just the initial? I know FHP will require you to do their own polygraph, whether you are prior service or not. Not sure about their requirements for doing their exclusive psych exam or background investigation.

I'd suggest contacting a recruiter to get some solid answers. Try emailing FHPCareers@hsmv.state.fl.us. Good luck.

The initial application is in. I received a letter indicating I "meet the minimum qualifications for employment" to continue with the process. I received a supplemental application along with instructions to report for the CJ-BAT and PAT at the end of the month, along with the completed supplemental application.

I have e-mailed a recruiter to ask if it is reasonable to expect to attend the next TRC, which looks to be around August. I realize the process is long, but if I didn't make the August TRC, then I would be looking at more than a year to process.

It's hard to say if you could get processed in time or not. It really is just a matter of timing as to how quickly your application process goes. (i.e. when the next polygraph date is, when the next psych exam is, how quickly your Background Investigation goes, etc. and how this lines up with where you are in the application process). I have talked with some who were hired in as little as 6 months. My application process took almost a year, but I wasn't already certified like you are.

Keep emailing and asking lots of questions. There are a few recruiters listed on FHP's website, so I would email more than just one to see if you can find one who can really give you some good info.

What were you told when you emailed a recruiter?

I love that email address....FHPCareers.....LOL. What an oxymoron that is. How can you have a career with such a horrible agency that pays you slave wages and gives you no future?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I love that email address....FHPCareers.....LOL. What an oxymoron that is. How can you have a career with such a horrible agency that pays you slave wages and gives you no future?
    LOL I agree. The only thing is FHP pays more than most cities and SO's in north Florida other than maybe JSO. South and West Florida forget about it. If FHP was a state police agency, I would apply now, however I can do just accidents all day long. I work for a large SO and would love to see FHP and SO merge to combine the Florida State Police. But I have to keep dreaming, that will never happen.

LOL I agree. The only thing is FHP pays more than most cities and SO's in north Florida other than maybe JSO. South and West Florida forget about it. If FHP was a state police agency, I would apply now, however I can do just accidents all day long. I work for a large SO and would love to see FHP and SO merge to combine the Florida State Police. But I have to keep dreaming, that will never happen.
    If there was a Florida State Police created it wouldnt happen by merging the FHP with the sheriffs it would be with FDLE. The locals would still do the same job and the troopers would still be doing the old highway patrol job as they do now. We would just have a diffirent patch on our shoulder. A lot of states that are big like Florida that have a state police are the same way. It would just allow a trooper who is burned out on working traffic to possibly move into another area of law enforcement. Im all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper
    If there was a Florida State Police created it wouldnt happen by merging the FHP with the sheriffs it would be with FDLE. The locals would still do the same job and the troopers would still be doing the old highway patrol job as they do now. We would just have a diffirent patch on our shoulder. A lot of states that are big like Florida that have a state police are the same way. It would just allow a trooper who is burned out on working traffic to possibly move into another area of law enforcement. Im all for it.
    This maybe true, but a real State Law Enforcement agency like Kentucky or Virginia State Police patrol the unincorporated areas of the county, and also have contract cities. In Kentucky, the State Police do all major investigations and patrol all unincorporated areas. The Governor merged the Sheriff and the Highway Patrol to create the Kentucky State Police. Most Sheriffs in KY now just do civil process and jail. In Florida, a State Police will never happen, the Florida Sheriff Association will not allow it, they have too strong of a political backing. Sheriffs don't want to give up their status as Chief LEO, and we would have to change the constitution to do that. That will never happen. As we all know it would take an act of congress for the State to make that move. I would support the idea of merging the Sheriff FDLE and FHP to create a true Florida State Police. As I said before, I can do is "dream, dream, dream." Be safe out there.

We dont even need to go that extreme. Just give FHP some darn money so we can do things right. We need more people, more money, and better proactive means of enforcing the laws.

We dont even need to go that extreme. Just give FHP some darn money so we can do things right. We need more people, more money, and better proactive means of enforcing the laws.
    I agree. An elite State agency such as FHP deserves much better pay and manpower.