PDA

View Full Version : Schedule Woes

01-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Does anyone else care for this work schedule or what? There doesn't seem to be any other agencies out there working anything as assinine as this one....3/2/2/3 12 hour days or nights flipping back and forth every 28 days will kill relationships, education opportunities, your health......

01-26-2007, 01:11 AM
I hear you to a point. Every other weekend off?? Whats wrong with that?? Myself, I like the 12 hour shift, just not the flip-flop between days and nights. Sure makes it easy to get things done during the week. Sure wouldn't trade it for a 9 to 5.
Stay safe bud...

01-28-2007, 04:02 PM
So many other agencies have more than one schedule in place to please those with special needs. Like our specialty units and School resource or K-9, civil, judicial that don't work the 3/2/2/3 here..Yet patrol here doesn't and wont consider those options because Of "Richie" or those oldtimers opposed to change.

Some other options would be 4/3 10hr days would gives you set days off which could be rotating schedule for days off so it doesn't get stagnent, 4/4 11.5 hrs (no flex) rotating schedule where every 4 to 6 weeks you get a 4 week rotation of weekends off(my pref.). 5/2 5/3 8.5 hr days, etc. Anything but this 3/2/2/3 unless it was built in with options and currently is not. The answer could be keeping it and implementing a powershift with one of these others mentioned those those who want to take classes or need day care assistance can flexability because administration doesn't seem to really care yet they claim to be family family orientented.

01-29-2007, 03:38 AM
We all know that to get the "constant" shift we have to be here for a year before we are allowed to apply for a change. Kinda like being on the road and am willing to accept the shift. Got used to it after awhile and the family has adjusted quite well.
Over the last few years the K9 and traffic units lost the gravy train and now do the 12. It is better to actually have a traffic unit or K9 when you need them.
When I started the numbers were low 300's and they are knocking on 560 now. I agree if admin would be more family like we wouldn't be gettin the draft from the back door being left open so often. From your outlook you seem to be fairly new here. Dont mean any disrespect, we all know patrol is the torque that get the ball rolling. Hang in there and work toward what you want out of it. All in all this is a good agency compaired to others I've seen. From your posting time I got the drift on your shift, some ladders are harder to climb than others.
Stay safe, be cool, catch ya at the K someday.

01-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Do me solid Eastside and pass this site and topic along to your people for future FYI......Who knows maybe others have some interesting input?

04-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Damn! You guys flip flop from days to nights every 28 days on the 12 hour shifts?????????????? We work the 12 hour shifts but on a PERMANENT basis for one year then we submit shift bids based on seniority. We haven't done the flip from days to nights and back every 28 days for many, many years! That must really kick your asses. That's nuts!

Be safe! Don't fall asleep at the wheel on that insane schedule!

04-02-2007, 06:23 PM
... and I didn't type "darn" below ... the computer changed it for me :(

04-03-2007, 01:28 PM
We r the true meaning of backwoods here POLK and I mean backwoods. The schedule is a joke, equipment issuses are a joke ( like No tinted windows allowed ) , we still have 2000/2001 cvics in use w/ mega miles, no union in place, and it goes on.......

... and I didn't type "darn" below ... the computer changed it for me :(

04-03-2007, 04:53 PM
That's too bad .... I was just issued a 2007 Impala with a CD player (the oldest car we have is an '03 crown vic ... we just outfitted 119 new marked cars which do not include the unmarked cars used by traffic, warrants, the tactical unit, etc), have a laser, and top of the line radar unit. Windows are tinted also (makes a huge difference in the heat)! Completely remote print all reports right from the car to the office and the only forms we have to use are ones that require a signature. It's all done from the computer in the car. Our sheriff is doing a fantastic job (I've had 4 raises in 2 years) and now make well over 50K a year as a slick sleeve patrol deputy (not including incentive, call out, overtime, and paid court time). Our sheriff is involved, has shown up on calls and backed up guys on traffic stops, and has even come out and worked traffic on I-4 with us!. The man has even had me call him at home if he had a question on something (and didn't want to talk to the Sgt about it). I can honestly say I have NO complaints which is pretty amazing in this job. They took into account what WE wanted when it came to scheduling (permanent shifts with a bid for new shifts once a year based on seniority). Switching from days to nights and back every 28 days is insane and DANGEROUS and only adds a great deal of stress to an already stressful job! I saw where one post on here mentions you're up to 560 ID numbers. We're up to 6500 ID numbers (mine is a 1000 number) and still being that large of an agency I do NOT feel like an insignificant name or number on a shift roster! I feel like a valued member of this organization. They even have catering at our training sessions (free food!) and we are served by the sheriff's staff (majors and above). Come on down, guys. We're always looking for some good people! They'll back you up here if what you do is right! By the way we have the tasers also and are being issued new Glocks as well switching from the S&W .45 cal.

04-03-2007, 05:10 PM
... forgot to mention we have 24 hr a day use of the car anywhere in the county for any reason (except for times when alcohol may be consumed, of course). I go to the gym, visit family, grocery store .. whatever. All that is required is that we sign onto the computer as "In service for personal use". It may also be driven OUT of county for school, college, or training purposes. How many more hundreds of dollars a year does this alone put into our pockets?

Be safe, guys!

04-11-2007, 01:22 PM
... forgot to mention we have 24 hr a day use of the car anywhere in the county for any reason (except for times when alcohol may be consumed, of course). I go to the gym, visit family, grocery store .. whatever. All that is required is that we sign onto the computer as "In service for personal use". It may also be driven OUT of county for school, college, or training purposes. How many more hundreds of dollars a year does this alone put into our pockets?

Be safe, guys!

Good stuff man tks for the details, good to hear not everyone is behind the times...I guess you have to expect things to be backwardsass when your in a small town, w/ smalltown politics and growth is extremly slow not to mention movement within. The largest number here is the attrition rate...There is no incentive salary wise to be here or transfer here.

06-14-2007, 03:50 AM
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

mod 349
06-14-2007, 10:52 PM
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

Thats why I stepped up to this position. It's a great platform for discussion and others to speak freely without fear of retrobution from this administration. Pass the sig. 14 to others about this site.

06-24-2007, 03:51 PM
We at tampa pd the uniform street officers work a 4 on 4 off, 3 11.4 hrs day and our last day is 11.5 . They love it. When I came on in 1980 we worked a 28 day cycle, days to midnights. Later we had 56 shifts that you rotated thru over a three year period, every 28 days. Man did it suck. School was out of the question unless you used vacation time. Now we bid by seniority every year and officers can go to which district they want and the hours they want to work and even which Sgt. or Cpl. they want, we really have it made only working half a year. Best kept secret.