PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Enforcement Policy

01-15-2007, 01:04 AM
I understand you have been severely limited on enforcement of alcohol violations in the state parks of Florida. Please call MADD at the following number or email us at:

Florida Chapter of MADD
1140 Capital Circle SE, Ste. 12
Tallahassee, FL 32301
Phone: (850) 681-0061
FAX: (850) 681-0641
email: kristen.allen@madd.org

It is important that the Governor's Office hears about this issue, from our organization.

01-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Limited on enforcing alcohol violations…try forbidden, our hands are tied. Of course this direction will not be put in writing.

Imagine the first time someone is driving through the camp ground and strikes a young child playing near their campsite. Once the investigation is complete it is determined that alcohol and speed (Departments refuses to purchase speed enforcement equipment) were a significant contributing factor to the accident. The same two unlawful acts that law enforcement officers are highly discouraged from enforcing. I guess the State of Florida doesn’t have the money to invest in speed enforcement equipment but has no problem in signing a blank check to a family who reads this forum.

01-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Limited on enforcing alcohol violations…try forbidden, our hands are tied. Of course this direction will not be put in writing.

Imagine the first time someone is driving through the camp ground and strikes a young child playing near their campsite. Once the investigation is complete it is determined that alcohol and speed (Departments refuses to purchase speed enforcement equipment) were a significant contributing factor to the accident. The same two unlawful acts that law enforcement officers are highly discouraged from enforcing. I guess the State of Florida doesn’t have the money to invest in speed enforcement equipment but has no problem in signing a blank check to a family who reads this forum.

I work with the PEER organization, can you please eloborate on why this policy was created and the person(s) responsible for this policy? We would like to investigate this matter and we need to know where to start.

Please Call:

Florida PEER
P.O. Box 14463
Tallahassee, FL 32317
phone: (850) 877-8097
fax: (850) 942-5264
email: flpeer@peer.org

01-15-2007, 07:56 PM

I work with the PEER organization, can you please eloborate on why this policy was created and the person(s) responsible for this policy? We would like to investigate this matter and we need to know where to start.

Please Call:

Florida PEER
P.O. Box 14463
Tallahassee, FL 32317
phone: (850) 877-8097
fax: (850) 942-5264
email: flpeer@peer.org

Any other issues we need to know about, please let us know? I would like for all of you to check out the PEER web site. If there is anything PEER can do to get your organization back on track, please send us the information. It is time DEP gets the proper leadership in place to allow officers to enforce ALL of the laws and not just a few of them.

01-21-2007, 04:49 PM

We have excelllent radars in our cars. Are you refering to alcohol or unlawful sppeding?

01-22-2007, 06:51 PM
There isn't a problem with radar working well or not. The point is why we are not allowed to use it in our job. Try explaining a speeding ticket on the interstate or try to explain to a person why you are not allowed to issue a citation to someone because of department policies.

Don't start with me about alcohol violations or even perhaps a DUI. I'm getting aggravated just writing about it. Train me to enforce all state laws and then insist that I only write 62D misdemeanor violations. Most county judges don't even know the 62D rules.

How about some infraction tickets? You want to see the activity go through the roof? Let me write $75.00 violation tickets instead of a $250 62D violation. Can you give someone a $250 NTA for a dog off the leash? I sure can't. But I would write a infraction for it in a heartbeat.

01-25-2007, 04:41 PM
There isn't a problem with radar working well or not. The point is why we are not allowed to use it in our job. Try explaining a speeding ticket on the interstate or try to explain to a person why you are not allowed to issue a citation to someone because of department policies.

Don't start with me about alcohol violations or even perhaps a DUI. I'm getting aggravated just writing about it. Train me to enforce all state laws and then insist that I only write 62D misdemeanor violations. Most county judges don't even know the 62D rules.

How about some infraction tickets? You want to see the activity go through the roof? Let me write $75.00 violation tickets instead of a $250 62D violation. Can you give someone a $250 NTA for a dog off the leash? I sure can't. But I would write a infraction for it in a heartbeat.

Not sure where you work but I enforce laws on State Roads and if someone blatently does something they get a UTC no matter what road. Its got too be your District Commander

01-30-2007, 01:47 AM

Actually this directive was given in writing in one district in bright red caps...I beleive it began with PAY ATTENTION. I'm sure a public records request could disclose this. Good luck, MADD! :|

02-01-2007, 01:22 AM

Actually this directive was given in writing in one district in bright red caps...I beleive it began with PAY ATTENTION. I'm sure a public records request could disclose this. Good luck, MADD! :|

Sept. 29, 2006

02-16-2007, 05:01 AM
I hear the pressed wood product reinstated enforcement of the 62D on alcohol IN WRITING....too bad he got the section number wrong. This from a guy who makes traffic stops and doesn't even carry a UTC book.

I'm betting the PWP has never put bracelets on someone outside of trainin (he was in the trainin section you know).

Good job MADD! :)

02-16-2007, 05:06 AM
I hear the pressed wood product reinstated enforcement of the 62D on alcohol IN WRITING....too bad he got the section number wrong. This from a guy who makes traffic stops and doesn't even carry a UTC book.

I'm betting the PWP has never put bracelets on someone outside of trainin (he was in the trainin section you know).

Good job MADD! :) :(

No doubt covering for the captain that put the prohibition on alcohol enforcement in writing....in september. Good job! Think that'll keep you from being canned?

02-16-2007, 01:51 PM
when were we told to enforce the 62D on alcohol again? I haven't seen anything. :?:

02-16-2007, 10:41 PM

No doubt covering for the captain that put the prohibition on alcohol enforcement in writing....in september. Good job! Think that'll keep you from being canned?

Why wouldn't the bureau chief put it in writing to begin with? Now all of a sudden he puts in writing that you can enfore the law? Very interesting!

02-16-2007, 10:45 PM

Why wouldn't the bureau chief put it in writing to begin with? Now all of a sudden he puts in writing that you can enfore the law? Very interesting!

Just confirms that you were told not to enforce the law, now doesn't it? :oops:

02-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Has anyone read this "direction"? What a piece of work...the word alcohol is not mentioned nor is it mentioned that an earlier directive was being rescinded.

clown.

02-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Has anyone read this "direction"? What a piece of work...the word alcohol is not mentioned nor is it mentioned that an earlier directive was being rescinded.

clown.

Can you post this memorandum for our reading pleasure?

02-18-2007, 12:26 AM
I'm sure there's a geek among us that can...short of typing it in, I can't do it...surely someone can cut and paste that thing so we can all join in and attempt to interpret it sentence-by-sentence! :P

02-18-2007, 03:39 AM
What does "codified" mean?

02-18-2007, 01:48 PM
What does "codified" mean?

to reduce to a code :mrgreen:

02-19-2007, 03:42 AM
Please send us a memorandum telling us what we can enforce. We are tired of being told what not to enforce by management. Why don't you read your little code of ethics YOU always forget about! :oops:

2-1.5 CODE OF ETHICS

The division’s Code of Ethics shall read as follows:

As a sworn member of the Division of Law Enforcement, my fundamental duty is to serve humankind; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the Constitutional rights of all people to liberty, equality and justice.

I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all; maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop self-restraint; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and in deed in both my personal and official life, I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of the Department of Environmental Protection. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or what is confided to me in my official capacity will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty.

I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities, or friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless prosecutions of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never accepting gratuities.

I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession…law enforcement.

02-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Please send us a memorandum telling us what we can enforce. We are tired of being told what not to enforce by management. Why don't you read your little code of ethics YOU always forget about! :oops:

2-1.5 CODE OF ETHICS

As a sworn member of the Division of Law Enforcement, my fundamental duty is to serve humankind; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the Constitutional rights of all people to liberty, equality and justice.

I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all; maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop self-restraint; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and in deed in both my personal and official life, I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of the Department of Environmental Protection. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or what is confided to me in my official capacity will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty.

I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities, or friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless prosecutions of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never accepting gratuities.

I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession…law enforcement.

"I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, predjudices, animosities, or friendships influence my decisions". Wow, Mr. Ethics! You have:

Withheld new patrol vehicles from a district one year because you were mad with the captain - another district got twice their allotment;

Picked somebody ( a friend) from the bottom of the list for a promotion;

Insisted on investigations of officers because you personally dislike them because they have filed grievances;

Refused to investigate or handle wrongdoing of your illicitly appointed friends - to wit, giving false statements, working radar while wearing apparel identifying themself as being with another agency;

Wasting money on a new facility when it isn't needed;

The list goes on. You've become accustomed to the 3 sticks sheriff type of management which basically does whatever it wants, regardless of ethical considerations.

Oh, and lets not forget about keeping your personal life "unsullied". Philandering is a sin. If both people involved tell others about it, it ain't a secret. Untouchable.

:oops:

02-19-2007, 04:58 PM
good try - it's not going away!

02-19-2007, 06:27 PM

CAN YOU SAY GRAND JURY INVESTIGATION! :D

02-19-2007, 09:36 PM

O.K. When and where?

02-19-2007, 11:21 PM

O.K. When and where?

:cop: :devil: :evil:

02-20-2007, 01:51 PM
I have read all this reteric and all I can say is put up or shut up!!! :P

02-20-2007, 04:35 PM
I have read all this reteric and all I can say is put up or shut up!!! :P

that would be "rhetoric"...whatever. The art of oratory. Do you need that defined too? If so, check my dictionary.

02-21-2007, 04:13 AM
Give us a break! We don't expect folks to spell properly! It's too much! :oops:

02-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Give us a break! We don't expect folks to spell properly! It's too much! :oops:

!!!!

02-23-2007, 04:15 PM
As every seasoned officer knows, you are what you present. Your words written here are a direct reflection on you and your agency. You guys sit here and complain about what you're experiencing within your department. As I read many of your comments, I ask myself, what has you as an individual contributed to better yourself, your department, and the community that you serve. If you can't even take the extra time and effort to spell check your comments to ensure that they are grammatically correct, then why should we take you seriously? I agree that many of you may have legitimate complaints. However, change begins one individual at a time. So take a good look at yourselves and work on making self improvements first. Lastly, if what I have written here compels you to reply. Respect me enough to spell check.
Thank you and continue to be safe. God Bless!

02-23-2007, 10:39 PM
I ask myself, what has you as an individual contributed

I think that would be.....

What "have" you as an individual contributed

Practice what you preach before speaking against others

02-27-2007, 02:51 PM
I agree, and if I had the information to give the director I would. How can he know if he is not told.

At lease we are able to make arrests for alcohol again. This board id some good in that area.

There is always the press too. Someone posted the name of a reporter as well as, his information a couple of months back. I checked this guy out and he is legitimate. I am sure that there is someone with the Tallahassee Democrat that is willing to play too.

It would be amazing what could happen if the paper found out about intoxicated district commanders driving their state vehicles and attending the firing range. Especially when nearly the entier district knows it. How many chances does a person get?

The list goes on and on and on.....

Let's not forget the impact that it had on DOC a couple of years back.

02-28-2007, 03:46 AM
I thought Charlie (Tom W.) was putting someone in charge that was going to make changes in your organization. Well it looks as if 1 and 2 are gone now it is time to get rid of some others! A good start would be to get rid of the skipper, little buddy and Marianne. Then Henry needs to move over to bow flex, his hall monitor and start with a new group of leaders. The old upper management team is infected with a bad management, bad morals, bad ethics and the list is to extensive to type.

Good Luck! :oops:

Don't jump to conclusions! Henry has already made some good decisions in his 1st week....the AD selection will be pretty telling. Step back and give him a chance to make informed decisions. The rat's nest 3 sticks created can't be dissembled in a day.

04-12-2007, 01:27 AM
8)

04-13-2007, 01:14 AM

2-1.5 CODE OF ETHICS

"I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, predjudices, animosities, or friendships influence my decisions". Wow, Mr. Ethics! You have:

Withheld new patrol vehicles from a district one year because you were mad with the captain - another district got twice their allotment;

Picked somebody ( a friend) from the bottom of the list for a promotion;

Insisted on investigations of officers because you personally dislike them because they have filed grievances;

Refused to investigate or handle wrongdoing of your illicitly appointed friends - to wit, giving false statements, working radar while wearing apparel identifying themself as being with another agency;

Wasting money on a new facility when it isn't needed;

The list goes on. You've become accustomed to the 3 sticks sheriff type of management which basically does whatever it wants, regardless of ethical considerations.

Oh, and lets not forget about keeping your personal life "unsullied". Philandering is a sin. If both people involved tell others about it, it ain't a secret. Untouchable.

:oops:

:idea: oh the humanity!