PDA

View Full Version : PERCEPTION IS NOT REALITY

01-04-2007, 02:31 PM
The following is an excerpt taken from the book "Character and Cops"

...the idea that perceptions are more important than everything else is false. Police should reject this dangerous idea. First, public perceptions of police (and everything else) are always varied. Some public perceptions are rational and fair-minded; others are unfounded and prejudiced. Second, public perceptions are notoriously fickle, changing as rapidly as television sound bites. A police department or law enforcement agency that is driven by adoration of appearences, by preoccupation with public perceptions, can have no real focus, mission, or standards to which it is durably faithful. It will be blown from direction to another by winds of fashion. And fashion, as the nineteenth-century philosophical poet, Giacomo Leopardi, wrote, "is the mother of death."

Hialeah tends to operate in this manner. We are into fashion and our leaders are quick to create BS policies and procedures that are based on perception, and not reality.

Perceptions matter, of course. But when we say they matter more than everything else, we are saying they matter more than reality, more than the facts, more than the truth.

In other words Hialeah, we need to have a real crime-fighting oriented mission. We must also stop practicing so many inefficient procedures because we need to please someone's perception. At all levels, we need to do what is fair, right, and true.

01-04-2007, 03:20 PM
The following is an excerpt taken from the book "Character and Cops"

...the idea that perceptions are more important than everything else is false. Police should reject this dangerous idea. First, public perceptions of police (and everything else) are always varied. Some public perceptions are rational and fair-minded; others are unfounded and prejudiced. Second, public perceptions are notoriously fickle, changing as rapidly as television sound bites. A police department or law enforcement agency that is driven by adoration of appearances, by preoccupation with public perceptions, can have no real focus, mission, or standards to which it is durably faithful. It will be blown from direction to another by winds of fashion. And fashion, as the nineteenth-century philosophical poet, Giacomo Leopardi, wrote, "is the mother of death."

Hialeah tends to operate in this manner. We are into fashion and our leaders are quick to create BS policies and procedures that are based on perception, and not reality.

Perceptions matter, of course. But when we say they matter more than everything else, we are saying they matter more than reality, more than the facts, more than the truth.

In other words Hialeah, we need to have a real crime-fighting oriented mission. We must also stop practicing so many inefficient procedures because we need to please someone's perception. At all levels, we need to do what is fair, right, and true.

Bravo, PELHAM 1-2-3!

03-17-2007, 06:59 PM
REMINDER!

03-17-2007, 08:34 PM
This last posting has finally made me blow my top!! That is the most ridiculous and the main reason HPD is the way it is. Because you GED'rs do not care about what the hard working citizens of Hialeah think about you when they see you drinking coffee all day long!! You also don't care when the citizens see you parked together somewhere talking crap, because that is all that comes out of your mouths, not doing your jobs.

PELD*MB$SS you ARE the reason why HPD is where it is. Citizen perception is the most important task of the HPD or it should be. When I call the Chief about a panhandler it is because it gives the citizens the wrong perception about Palm ave period!! The perception of the citizens should be by far our number one priority and I will make sure that it is.

Idiot who pays your salary? Who do you work for? The citizens retard! You must be retarded or just arrogant to think that you do not have to answer to the citizens! The citizens elected the Mayor to represent them and voice their opinions! If the mayor believes the citizens care more about cleaning up Palm ave than about stolen cars then that is what you will do and get paid for. However, if you would like to work for free then you could do whatever type of police work you desire. Until that time you insolent dog you will care about what the citizens think!!

:twisted: :evil:

03-19-2007, 12:23 AM
this is so true...............the heck with the dp's, lets all focus on 26's, 29's, 22's in progress, lets focus on traffic enforcement with all these retards in hialeah that dont know how to drive, lets focus on all the 52 that circulates around our city, allow us to be COPS! i think in a couple of our sectors we have to check for commercial vehicles, and graffiti, and signs and sh!t, WTF is going on!!!!! this is hialeah, this aint fuk!ng pinecrest, we got crime in our city, let PSA's do their job and city inspectors do their job, and let US do ours!!! our job has a tradition, we've been around since the biblical ages and before that, growing up we've heard of something called cops and robbers, thats because they relate to each other, if u get robbed u called the cops. have u ever heard cops and commercial vehicles, or cops and commercial signs?!?!! THATS CUZ THE SH!T DOESNT GO TOGETHER!!! WTF is going on in our city, where are our leaders??? what are they doing?? do they know how dangerous our city can be??? please command staff, let us be cops, remember where you came from, remember what city u are leading. stop giving out BS assignments, it might backfire on u guys one day..........

im not for thinking this way, but the only thing your accomplishing by having "police" do those REQUIRED assignments is giving us an excuse for when a citizen asks us why about something, for example, why has my car been broken into 3 times in the last four months, or why are so many people that dont know how to drive committing traffic infractions right in front of the police and the police arent enforcing them, or my store has been robbed twice, where are you guys????? ...........well here's the excuse our command staff has given us..........well ma'am or sir, i apologize, its that the great leaders of HPD require us to do directed patrols and look for vendors and commercial vehicles, and illegal signs. at what time did u get robbed?? oh at 2136, let me check my worksheet, yes ma'am, at that time i was at a directed patrol at JFK library because so many criminals want to break in to a LIBRARY!, that i was unable to spot that 37 occupied that was driving around your business before you got robbed. im sorry ma'am. oh and you sir, whats your question? officer, on my way home, i almost got hit twice by a wreckless driver, why arent you guys on our main roads enforcing these drivers or atleast being a deterrent. oh well im sorry sir, at what time was this?, oh at 0845, let me check my worksheet......oh yes i was checking for commercial vehicles parked in a residential area because sir, im not sure if you were aware of this violent crime that people are doing now a days, yes PARKING A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE IN A RESIDENTIAL AREA!!! AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!! run for your lives!!!!!! so once again i am sorry for not being there for that wreckless driver who by the way caused a 3-17 with a school bus where 37 children were injured and 2 nuns lost their legs, but we have more important duties than to patrol our streets for real crime, have you ever slept next to a house with a lunchero truck parked next door?? its a nightmare, i cant sleep, thank god that command staff has assigned that duty, i can now sleep at night.................

Unregistered
12-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Here is another old one I posted as Pelham 1-2-3. It was against the city's bullshit perspective. Perception is Reality, CYA, and your "what if" only serves to create lies in order to honor your BS guiding principles.

Tommy Munoz

Unregistered
12-17-2014, 11:09 PM
"Perceptions are real to those that have them"
Your perception is your reality, and we somehow manage to co-exists in different perceptions of reality.
Check that out in the next National Elections!

Tommy Munoz
12-18-2014, 05:37 AM
Your right about that. But what perspective do you choose to come from? Is it fear based? Or does it come from love and cooperation? Do you believe we are separate from one another? Or do we come from the same source? And do you feel peaceful of the world around you or are you always competing like this is survival of the fittest? You do know nothing is real right? It's all make belief. Are you having fun yet with the experience of all that life is?

Unregistered
12-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Your right about that. But what perspective do you choose to come from? Is it fear based? Or does it come from love and cooperation? Do you believe we are separate from one another? Or do we come from the same source? And do you feel peaceful of the world around you or are you always competing like this is survival of the fittest? You do know nothing is real right? It's all make belief. Are you having fun yet with the experience of all that life is?

Keep that thought; they will explain all of that to you in rehab, but first we need to get you chemically balanced and off that stuff you are on.

Tommy Munoz
12-18-2014, 10:42 PM
Hey anonymous, I figured that would be your only comeback against the truth about your style of policing. Calling me a crackhead. I understand you have to judge everyone, as that gives you the illusion of superiority. But anyways, have fun over there. What rehab? U mean vacation?