PDA

View Full Version : new ID #'s

01-03-2007, 02:54 AM
What are your thoughts on the new ID #'s??????

01-03-2007, 04:36 AM
they suck

01-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Is there any real reason why we can't continue to use our regular ID #'s? It seems like someone didn't take into account officer safety issues with this new system.

01-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Yes, there is a "real reason". It is the way the system is designed and it invovles the automatic selection of available units for calls. The system is being implemented based of the advice and experience of one of the leading police software companies. I am sure that we are all capable of learning a new number, after all, you only answered to your name when you got here. Stop complaining and show some appreciation and patience.

01-05-2007, 01:47 PM
The problem with the new number system is one to be handled. One of the main parts of our job is communication with dispatch and others. I never know from day to day if I am going to be moved to another zone, and if I do then I have a new number to remember for the day. Not to mention I having to learn everyone's number for the day if I need them. Well I guess there is two options...carry my read off sheet with me everywhere I go or just call them by their name like the old times. True fact is that when things hit the fan the new number is out the door and you go back to instincts of using your old number.

01-05-2007, 03:56 PM
I know it sounds whiney but they need to figure out a way to track who has taken paper like they did in the past. Good officers hang out in the area where the problems are (i.e. clearwater-largo road). That being said, they are more likely to be dispatched to calls since they are the closest available unit. This system is great in theory however it is unfair because if you allow the lazy officers to sit and hide from the calls (i.e. the aso) then the same officers are taking all the reports.

01-06-2007, 04:27 PM
"Those who do not learn from History are doomed to repeat it" - George Santayana
In the late 70's and early 80's we were called by our Zone assignments. You had a usual Zone but, manpower being the fluxuating thing that it is, you were subject to work other Zones on a daily basis. I was usually Zone 3 at that time ( NW section ) but could find myself in 4 or 2 or, God forbid, 1. I would then have a new call sign. Confusing? Yep.
Then someone got the brilliant idea of permanent ID numbers/call signs (Lt JP, I think). That's the system you are using now - or, I guess, were using until recently.
The reasoning was that, under stress, with your hearbeat above 180 BPM and in the throes of terminal rectal pucker, you would respond most easily to an ID number that was permanent. It made it easier to remember who was where, too.
The idea that they can't engineer the software around permanent IDs is ludicrous ( if that's what they're proposing ).
Good luck with that crap.
Hey, I guess if you live long enough, things really do come back around!

01-06-2007, 05:17 PM
They can do whatever they want with the system from what I can tell. They have been able to change our logins and passwords. If you can assign someone to a different zone you can make their ids whatever you want. They just want this "accountability" for the zones. How are we supposed to be accountable when all you do is go call to call and then try to catch up on your reports.

01-08-2007, 05:00 AM
IT made it clear that the powers to be changed the ID #'s, not the software.