PDA

View Full Version : Try to sort this out and GET IT RIGHT.

12-23-2006, 02:31 PM
For those of you who read these pages and who are actually employed in the law enforcement field, either on the road or in the jail, it's time that you leaned the difference in two words that are NOT INTERCHANGABLE and which you use all the time.

You are supposed to be professionals. Try to get it right.

The words are "trusty" and "trustee."

Those people in jail who are given special release opportunities in order to provide useful work for the office, either in the jail or in the districts, are TRUSTIES. The singular form is TRUSTY.

If you are indicating one person you say "that trusty," if you are indicating a group you say "those trusties."

Dictionary
Main Entry: trusty
Pronunciation: 'tr&s-tE also "tr&s-'tE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural trust·ies
: a trusty or trusted person; specifically : a convict considered trustworthy and allowed special privileges

A TRUSTEE on the other hand is someone who is regarded of worth of special trust and is designated to administer activities on behalf of others.

Dictionary
Main Entry: trust·ee
Pronunciation: "tr&s-'tE
Function: noun
1 a : one to whom something is entrusted b : a country charged with the supervision of a trust territory
2 a : a natural or legal person to whom property is legally committed to be administered for the benefit of a beneficiary (as a person or a charitable organization) b : one (as a corporate director) occupying a position of trust and performing functions comparable to those of a trustee

Since the words (in the plural) Trusties and Trustees sound so much alike this is more about spelling when writing than pronouncation although they ARE pronounced differently.

However, in the singular the word Trusty and Trustee are spoken (and written) differently. You might want to learn the difference.

Is this a big deal? No. But there are those among us who will make the change now that they know the difference.

Of course, most of you won't. Only real professionals strive for precision.

:wink:

12-23-2006, 10:16 PM
There's no such word as "pronounciation". The correct spelling is "pronunciation". Hope this helps.

12-23-2006, 11:30 PM
Dude, I wished some people put as much time into making this a better and more enjoyable place to work as they do correcting everyone's spelling and grammatical errors. Who gives a crap how they spell a word or pronounce it. Get a life. No wonder your stuck in DIII. Stay there, we don't want ya down here in DIV if all ya worry about is stupid stuff. Were quite happy and professional down here thank you very much. I just wish we could find a way to talk our current major / LEADER to stay on a while longer. (I highlighted leader for a reason, the man deserves the title.)

12-24-2006, 01:28 AM
Ah, yes............

The expected replies of those whose poor speech condemns them to mediocrity.

PLEASE don't accept any shred of information that might improve your mind! And be sure to search diligently for any typographical error which YOU might imagine invalidates the message. (It doesn't.)

Entirely predictable.

:snicker:

12-24-2006, 04:32 AM
You spelled "your" correctly, however, you meant to use the word "you're". You also spelled "were" correctly, however, you meant to use "we're". Hope this helps.

12-24-2006, 06:30 PM
You spelled "your" correctly, however, you meant to use the word "you're". You also spelled "were" correctly, however, you meant to use "we're". Hope this helps.

Nice.

BUT.......... The message you are correcting was not posted by me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please notice there was no malice in my original message - just an attempt to help out those people who genuinely didn't know they were using the wrong word.

:)

12-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Improve Your Mind; I bet you could write a wonderful offense report. I bet you could be very eloquent when writing about the business burglary that you couldn’t prevent, or the robbery that you couldn’t prevent, or the stolen auto that you couldn’t find. You may have great English skills but I bet you don’t have the ability to catch a single burglar, drug dealer, robber or rapist on your own initiative. I doubt you could never arrest anyone, through your own investigative efforts. Can you author and executed a search warrant resulting in the arrest of a drug trafficker, murderer or a child molester? Do you know what the terms “four corners” or “Scribner’s Error” are? (Don’t Google it sonny) I don’t think so. Have you ever solved a crime or dismantled a criminal enterprise, starting with no leads or evidence, slugged through seemingly insurmountable obstacles, overcome those obstacles and then chronicle your investigation in a clear, coherent manner which is capable of withstanding the scrutiny of prosecutors, judges, defense attorneys, the press and citizens (also known as Jurors)? I don’t think so. I have more respect for a deputy who mixes their and there or where and wear, but has the ability and courage to seek out and apprehend criminals on their own initiative, over a wanna be cop, who should be teaching high school English. You made your original post in order to bust chops and attract negative responses, then you follow-up with a pre-prepared come back when you got those responses. You are not clever; you demonstrate pedestrian intelligence, and you will be condemned to the mediocrity that you attempt to group others into. A real deputy does more good in one hour of his shift then you will your entire pathetic life. You may be able to parse this posting, but you will never be able to be a good cop.

12-25-2006, 11:05 PM
"For those of you who read these pages and who are actually employed in the law enforcement field, either on the road or in the jail, it's time that you leaned the difference in two words that are NOT INTERCHANGABLE and which you use all the time."

It is not "leaned the difference" it is LEARNED THE DIFFERENCE.

It is obvious that you use a word processing program with spell check and synonym replacement. You have to scrutinize your writing a little better, especially when you are trying to pass yourself off as someone with english and writing skills. Don’t trust word processing programs, they can make you look idiotic. You can do that without any help.

12-26-2006, 12:04 AM
Improve Your Mind; I bet you could write a wonderful offense report. I bet you could be very eloquent when writing about the business burglary that you couldn’t prevent, or the robbery that you couldn’t prevent, or the stolen auto that you couldn’t find. You may have great English skills but I bet you don’t have the ability to catch a single burglar, drug dealer, robber or rapist on your own initiative. I doubt you could never arrest anyone, through your own investigative efforts. Can you author and executed a search warrant resulting in the arrest of a drug trafficker, murderer or a child molester? Do you know what the terms “four corners” or “Scribner’s Error” are? (Don’t Google it sonny) I don’t think so. Have you ever solved a crime or dismantled a criminal enterprise, starting with no leads or evidence, slugged through seemingly insurmountable obstacles, overcome those obstacles and then chronicle your investigation in a clear, coherent manner which is capable of withstanding the scrutiny of prosecutors, judges, defense attorneys, the press and citizens (also known as Jurors)? I don’t think so. I have more respect for a deputy who mixes their and there or where and wear, but has the ability and courage to seek out and apprehend criminals on their own initiative, over a wanna be cop, who should be teaching high school English. You made your original post in order to bust chops and attract negative responses, then you follow-up with a pre-prepared come back when you got those responses. You are not clever; you demonstrate pedestrian intelligence, and you will be condemned to the mediocrity that you attempt to group others into. A real deputy does more good in one hour of his shift then you will your entire pathetic life. You may be able to parse this posting, but you will never be able to be a good cop.

I know I know! And I have had SW to Florida Supreme Court and up held. AS for the other look at FSS 539 for your answer :wink:

12-26-2006, 12:34 AM
What you are a pawn detective? Ummm OK :?

12-26-2006, 12:44 AM
What you are a pawn detective? Ummm OK :?

nope

12-26-2006, 01:26 AM
Ex-pawn detective.......

12-26-2006, 01:27 AM
Ex-pawn detective.......

Nope, we don't have pawn detectives and if you worked there you should know that :shock:

12-26-2006, 11:18 PM

Well written!

But wrong in every respect.

You make some very incorrect assumptions in your post.

One is believing that I have no track record as an effective LEO. It is wrong. One case in which I was the lead investigator had front page coverage in the Tribune, with photos. In another my qualification to testify as an expert was appealed to the Supreme Court of the U.S. by the defense and my testimony was upheld. I hold a certificate of appreciation from a federal agency (not the FBI) for my work in an inter-agency case. I've worked the streets, worked as a detective and been on a specialty team. Quite simply, you are wrong.

Your second error is that my original post was to break chops and that I had already prepared a follow-up come back. It's a shame you cannot accept that I simply have observed a common error made by many of my brother LEOs and that I wanted to raise the general knowledge of our community.

I'll bet YOU knew the difference!

:wink: