PDA

View Full Version : Will D3 Ever Change?

12-22-2006, 04:52 PM
I work in d3 and I'm so tired of all the crap. Due to our current commander and his moral sucking attitude, d3's moral is even lower than it has ever been. What do you expect from a commander who said, "Send me to d3 - I'll straighten that district out." And now that same major says, "It's not even fun to come to work anymore." If this is true major then why are you still working? Why are you killing what little morale that was left in d3? All of your stupid rules aren't great management ideas, but rather pure pain in the arses that only causes your deputies to lose further respect for you.

Deputies can’t go behind the desk, they can't type reports in the supervisor's office (where there are 3 pc's), they get anything from the supply room for themselves and now a LT or above has to approve you to hold a report over. You’re telling me that a cpl or sgt is not competent enough to authorize holding over a report? Trustees have more access to certain areas than deputies do! We have to check our e-mail every day, which would be okay, but we only have one pc that we are actually allowed to use. And when we do check our e-mail, supervisors are yelling at you to go be X8 as they walk to their office to compose test e-mails that you must reply to. They’re yelling be X8 because some platoons are patrolling with as little as 10-8 units at a time. Don’t even get me started about work dangers.

Something has to change in d3. It’s pretty bad when you walk in the administrative area and here his own assistants voicing there opinions that aren’t so pro-major. He wants to go to d4 as much as we want him to, but from what I here they don’t want his energy sucking, hard arse approach down there either.

I just want a major who doesn’t always look like his dog just died. I want a major who comes into work with a positive attitude and shakes a few deputies’ hands and not treat us like we’re his step children.

12-23-2006, 01:25 AM
Sheriff, you need to address this issue before a class action lawsuit for harassment is filed. IT IS IN THE WORKS. IT WILL HAPPEN.

12-23-2006, 04:13 AM
Sheriff, you need to address this issue before a class action lawsuit for harassment is filed. IT IS IN THE WORKS. IT WILL HAPPEN.

You know what? If you have a problem man up and put something in writing with your name on it. If your are so afraid to come out of the closet or the PBA won't do it for you then shut up and suck it up.

12-23-2006, 05:04 AM
Trustees have more access to certain areas than deputies do!

Hahaha and soooo true. Unsupervised even!

12-25-2006, 01:41 AM
D-1 is the place to be. So if you have some seniority and work then you will be welcome with us. Sorry for your pain though, hopefully he will move on soon.

12-28-2006, 05:15 PM
I find it funny that you ask "why doesnt the major leave" if he thinks it isnt fun to come to work any more, but you're "tired of all the crap" but still hang around.

I've probably been around D3 longer than you, I can remember all the way back to Poindexter. Funny thing is every major we every had, the whiney babies at d3 complained about him. You're probably the new breed that is burned out after two years on the street and should be in ocb, street crimes, k9, etc, etc. by now.

In my opinion our major is very fair and you can count on what he tells you. No he isnt mr personality, but I dont need that dynamic at work to know I do a good job. I guess you do, but whiney babies always want attention. Im sure you wont be shy to go ask him for his support for you to get a assignment you want.

Why do you beef about him enforceing the rules of the agency? The supervisors office is for supervisors, just like his office is for him. You want to have your own office, become a supervisor. How is a supervisor supposed to handle a complaint, do a write up with a bunch of deputies looking over their shoulder. Same with the desk and supply closet. You dont belong back there, plain and simple.

Enforceing the rules makes you unpopular sometimes. I find it amazing that a LEO has to be told that. But you've been here two years and I know you have more experience than me.

12-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Oldroper, if you've been here since the Poindexter days you know that Poindexter was an empty suit and the current major is a man of character.

Remember when Poindexter was made Acting Colonel? The next day he put out a memo telling everyone to be sure to wear their hats when they were out of the car. He just wanted to put out a memo about SOMETHING so that he could sign his name as "Acting Colonel." Pathetic.

I KNOW of some private conversations that the current major has had with someone (not me) who had personal issues to deal with. The major was kind, thoughtful, caring and considerate. I'll grant that he is reserved and not Mr. Personality, but he has strength of character.

The things you said about enforcing the rules, regardless of who made them, is right on target.

Dep should just hit the streets and do his job.

:!:

12-28-2006, 09:59 PM
And I remember when it was not a Major that ran the Distict, but a Captain. D3 was at the SOC and D2 was on Moon!

I agree with the last two posts. The D3 Major is a very stand up guy.

12-29-2006, 12:35 AM
I worked for Ron when he was a new Corporal. Very, very shy at first, if you didn't know better, you would think he was an a**hole, but when you get to know him, he is a great person, cop AND supervisor. For you new people, ask Ron about his history, he has been through more than any of us would ever want to deal with. So he might not come in cracking jokes and slapping you on the a**, he doesn't have to. Do your job, the way you should, and he will be there for you no matter what. And Ron, the Gators still suck and I hope OSU beats them :devil: !!!!!

12-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Being a great man of character and a great guy and cop that is a little shy does not make you a leader. Yes, personality does matter when you are the leader of 150 deputies; it's called leadership. I've been through my share of things in life too, but that does not give me a license to be any less friendly or polite to the public. I never insulted his character or how good a guy he is, but I did question his leadership ability.

12-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Being a great man of character and a great guy and cop that is a little shy does not make you a leader. Yes, personality does matter when you are the leader of 150 deputies; it's called leadership. I've been through my share of things in life too, but that does not give me a license to be any less friendly or polite to the public. I never insulted his character or how good a guy he is, but I did question his leadership ability.

I didn't see a lot about "leadership" in your first post.

I saw whining about "stupid rules."

I saw whining about the major looking like "his dog just died."

I saw whining about not having the major shake your hand.

You whine that "Trustees have more access to certain areas than deputies do!" Maybe that's because so many deputies tend to get the "office supplies" for their "home office" from the supply room. You know why the trustys can be trusted not to take things from the supply room? Because they get searched before they go back to jail. Maybe you could be allowed in the supply room if you were to be searched when you came out. :wink:

Hey, you don't like working in the district of this major - bid out! Naw, you would be just as unhappy working for some other major who had "rules." :twisted:

= = = = = = = = = = = =

By the way, you say "I never insulted his character or how good a guy he is, but I did question his leadership ability."

Yes, you did.

You said "Due to our current commander and his moral sucking attitude, ....." which is a clear disparagement of his character. You just didn't say it was low character, you attack his high character.

Perhaps you can find a major to work for who has looser morals, who is a lot more personable, and will slap your back and shake your hand when you see him. He's out there. Look around!
:devil:

12-29-2006, 05:48 PM
It is human to complain about things but to post something about someone, his work ethics and his personality and not face that person is being a coward. I also work in DIII since August of 2005 and have been here for 27 years.

I have been a COP who has done many more things than you will ever do and have had many complaints to deal with and talked to my superiors about over the years, but never behind their back like you have. The only reason you wrote the post about Major Spiller is because recently you have been called in to answer up on your poor work performance.

We all have issues we deal with but your negative post will not help solve any of the real issues we face in our Office today. Although I'm not perfect I lead by example and every morning when I go home I'am proud of the man and woman I work with. Our Major, and notice I capitalized the word "Major" to show respect, has been here a long time and has earned his tittle, he is a man who can be talked to and will listen to your complaints even if they have no substance.

You should try being loyal to those the people you work with and for, and have the character to leave this job if you are so unhappy here. Notice I have told you some specific details about me and if you really work in DIII you should know who I am, please stop by or call me.

12-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Some of your replies and suggestions are totally ridiculous. But I’ll address them anyway.

I should not have to ask the man about his history to ascertain why he's
always walking around like he's down about something. It's called being
a professional. I have gone to work quite a bit with some serious things
occurring in my personal life, but no one knows it by my attitude. Going
through something, or many things, does not give anyone, major or
deputy, the right to act any different, especially if you are the major and
your attitude is important as the commander of a district.

Character refers to one's inherent complex of attributes that determine a
person's moral and ethical actions and reactions. Not being a good leader
and having what appears to be a bad attitude has nothing to do with
one's moral or ethical actions or reactions. If I was questioning is honesty
or integrity then yes, I would be referring to his character. The Major does
not talk to his troops near enough to speculate about his character, only
his leadership style.

Why don't I quit? Um...ask yourself the same question. Exactly, enough
said.

Why don’t' I transfer? There's if a lot more deputies who are on unhappy
with him than just me. Of course if you are the Sgt or detective from d3
that are contributing to these post, then you are in a great place and
position and are unable to understand my complaints because it's been
too long since you were just a road dep. Yet you defend the Major as if
you are in the trenches taking holding call after holding call.

"It is human to complain about things but to post something about
someone, his work ethics and his personality and not face that person
is being a coward."..........Come on Sgt are you for real? Do you really
think that anyone is going to march into the Major's office and tell him
he or she is unhappy with his leadership??? Right!! I love when people post such stupid remarks such as this! It's called I have a family and a career to protect! Unlike you Sgt, I still take calls everyday I work and I would someday hope to be in one of those cushy positions that all the "connected" people usually get. That's why this site was made....If you don't like where I choose to complain about things that need improvements, then don't read this site!!!!!!!!!!

"Perhaps you can find a major to work for who has looser morals, who
is a lot more personable, and will slap your back and shake your hand
when you see him. He's out there. Look around!".....First off old-timer no
one has ever questioned his morals (your reading comprehension sucks!)
I never said the Major had to shake my hand or back. I said a few deputies’ hands. I would love to hear about a roll call where the Major actually hanged around and spent a little time with the troops whether I was there or not....It's called leadership!!!!

12-30-2006, 06:45 PM
I absolutely love it when a Deputy who has had no command experience, can dish out advice to a man who is 5 ranks above him. I know, I know you're gonna say you were a "leader" in the military or some such thing and that makes you a self proclaimed expert. Being a Major in this office is a very demanding job with many demands on his time. Again take a look at yourself, why do you need him or the Sheriff or anyone to come to rollcall? You aren't introspective enough yourself to know that you add value to the agency and do a good job? Myself, I don't want a Major that pats you on the back and smiles, but then doesn't have your back when it counts. And trust me, you can bank on what Major Spiller says. I hope he never leaves, but if he did I would follow him in a minute. I disagree with you that people have to be personable to be a good leader. What I want out of any boss or leader is tell me what you expect, and then let me go do it. Deputy one last thing, you will NEVER get a cush job that you want. Yes you can come on here and post anon, but your attitude stills shows through at work and your types are so easy to spot. No one would support you for that job you want, so get ready for more sour grapes.

12-30-2006, 06:54 PM
And another thing DEPUTY, your so obviously a malcontent. In your last post you start throwing sgts into the mix of your complaint sphere. I know, i know, you are the only one thats ever been in the "trenches". LOL gimmie a break! 56 me when you get back to work, I want to put a baby monitor in your patrol car. So its the Major, Sgts, Detectives and what else is wrong at d3? How about the Cpls & LT's better toss them in your next post, when you get a minute. I know the trenches are a busy place.

12-30-2006, 07:54 PM
I absolutely love it when a Deputy who has had no command experience, can dish out advice to a man who is 5 ranks above him. I know, I know you're gonna say you were a "leader" in the military or some such thing and that makes you a self proclaimed expert. Being a Major in this office is a very demanding job with many demands on his time. Again take a look at yourself, why do you need him or the Sheriff or anyone to come to rollcall? You aren't introspective enough yourself to know that you add value to the agency and do a good job? Myself, I don't want a Major that pats you on the back and smiles, but then doesn't have your back when it counts. And trust me, you can bank on what Major Spiller says. I hope he never leaves, but if he did I would follow him in a minute. I disagree with you that people have to be personable to be a good leader. What I want out of any boss or leader is tell me what you expect, and then let me go do it. Deputy one last thing, you will NEVER get a cush job that you want. Yes you can come on here and post anon, but your attitude stills shows through at work and your types are so easy to spot. No one would support you for that job you want, so get ready for more sour grapes.

You make some very valid points and I'm not ashamed to say that you caused me to reevaluate my postion on certain things. I do have one question. Why would you follow him in a miniute? Tell this board some
of the positive things that you know about him to cause you to respect and defend him. I ask this because he never talks to us enough to know
any of his good traits.

12-30-2006, 08:24 PM
"Perhaps you can find a major to work for who has looser morals, who is a lot more personable, and will slap your back and shake your hand when you see him. He's out there. Look around!"

.....First off old-timer no one has ever questioned his morals (your reading comprehension sucks!)
I never said the Major had to shake my hand or back. I said a few deputies’ hands. I would love to hear about a roll call where the Major actually hanged around and spent a little time with the troops whether I was there or not....It's called leadership!!!!

Speaking of poor reading comprehension, you are at the top of the list.

I didn't say you questioned his morals. I indicated that since you objected to his "moral sucking attitude" you clearly believe that his morals are too lofty.

The suggestion was that since you don't like his moral attitude you find a major with lower morals, and the indication was that it wouldn't be hard to do. Do you get it this time?

Your concept of what it takes to define leadership is quite warped.

Do you really think that Patton hung out with the troops? How about McArthur? Eisenhower? Even Bradley, "the soldiers' general," didn't pal around with the troops. Read their biographies and autobiographies.

That's not to say that superior officers cannot spend social time with the troops but it is not a necessary component of leadership! It's just one that YOU would like to see. Try to understand - it is not a necessary component of leadership.

Returning again to your original post. You didn't really have much to say about leadership in that post. You were whining about the rules. That's your real complaint. You later shifted to the leadership issue and still defined it in terms of being friendly and personable. It is not necessary to be friendly and personable to be a leader. Ask Jon Gruden.

:twisted:

12-30-2006, 08:25 PM
It sounds that you do care about this Office and the job you do. When I was on the street those that were labled as the whinners were also the ones that would sit in their cars and met and ***** among themselves about what was going on and what was wrion. I saw this type of actions bring down some very good deputies. This actions does not go unnoticed by those above and can stop your career in a heart beat. Instead try not 56ing, and drive the zone and enjoy doing what you cam here to do.......have fun while getting paid.

01-02-2007, 04:17 AM
About 20 years ago, Ron Spiller, then a road dep working a zone, responded to a bank alarm. He walked into the bank to check on things and met a bank robber who was on his way out. There was an old west quick draw and Ron was faster than the bad guy. That is why we have the extensive alarm procedure that we do now. That is also why Ron is where he is now.

01-02-2007, 06:41 PM
About 20 years ago, Ron Spiller, then a road dep working a zone, responded to a bank alarm. He walked into the bank to check on things and met a bank robber who was on his way out. There was an old west quick draw and Ron was faster than the bad guy. That is why we have the extensive alarm procedure that we do now. That is also why Ron is where he is now.

During my HCSO career I shot three people, including a cop killer, and never rose higher than detective.

I think I was short-changed!

:roll:

------------------------

I am, nonetheless, content.

:D

Elliot Parsowith
01-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Major Spiller and I were partners on the CMT (Crisis Management Team) for several years (early 80s) when we were Corporal Parsowith and Deputy Spiller. Often we went out of town together to training seminars and such. I got to know Ron personally and professionally.

Ron has always been a standup guy, a great zone partner, and a credit to the agency for his entire career. A supervisor is like a referee. You will never please all the people all the time. Someone who is honest, fair and who is willing to talk to you if you have a problem is the one I would want to work for.

Be thankful you work for Major Spiller and not the first Major I worked for at D3!

01-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Be thankful you work for Major Spiller and not the first Major I worked for at D3!

My guess would be that that first Major met the Dep's definition of a "leader" because he was personable and shook a lot of hands around the office.

:wink:

01-07-2007, 03:11 AM
And he just loved telling you how much of a "pretty boy" he was. He was also as dumb as a conch shell :wink:

01-08-2007, 06:37 PM
And he just loved telling you how much of a "pretty boy" he was. He was also as dumb as a conch shell :wink:

Wait a minute! If he was dumb as a conch shell, how did he make Colonel?

Uh..... Scratch that argument.

Still happens.

:wink: