PDA

View Full Version : Too Good To Be True?

12-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Ok, things have been weirdly quite on our site for quite a while now. Other that a few whiners here and there our site sucks now! You mean to tell me that all of us rank and file are just peachy? Any time anyone tries to start a string about our next contract, it goes no where? Does anyone remember that our Sheriff said he wanted us to be the highest paid in the state? Are we that scared of the administration after their lawsuit to not even speak our minds anymore? Look at TPD; they just got a great contract with a lot of great benefits, but only after great communication on this website and among each other. That is what we need to do!

No matter the replies I'll get, I won’t be convinced that we are all this happy.
I have a friend at TPD who works closely with TPD's personal unit and there are so many deputies (road deputies) who are applying over there that it's not funny. If things are so great here than why are so many applying elsewhere? Where did our voice go? Why are we so quiet?

12-22-2006, 06:04 PM
Tpd,which aready makes several thousand dollars a year more then us just got 14 percent over 3 years.If the sheriff doesnt offer us at least 10 percent over 2 years it will be an insult to all of us.We were promised alot more yet recieved nothing as of yet.

12-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Well TPD voted in their contract last nite, what will ours bring us.Effective 10/2007 our starting pay will have to be increased 13.5% to match theirs and the top pay increased 18% the 1st year. Will we ever get shift diff? The county is sitting on 700 million in reserves as our deputy to citizen ration stays well below the average and pay continues to lag.

12-23-2006, 11:50 PM
I don't know who your friend is :?: , but road deputies are not beating down the door to get in TPD. As a matter of fact they are struggling to get qualified people through the process like everyone else. They have had jail deputies apply when they were shut out of being hired for the road, but those #'s were not flooding the personnel unit.

Granted TPD's pay is a little higer but they pay alot more for health insurance, they have to beg us to train at our range because they have no range and when they do shoot for IST the agency is charged a fee. There are pros and cons for both agencies but please don't represent that HCSO is a burning ship and everyone is running to TPD...

Stay Safe

12-24-2006, 04:39 AM
Also, they pay about 20 per cent off the top for retirement while we pay nothing. If a rookie TPD officer starts at $40K, his retirement contribution cuts it down to $32K which is a significant comedown.

12-24-2006, 05:52 AM
Also, they pay about 20 per cent off the top for retirement while we pay nothing. If a rookie TPD officer starts at $40K, his retirement contribution cuts it down to $32K which is a significant comedown.

Source please. as they now have a low multiplier and your figures seen out of wack.......that is unless you are staff :roll:

12-24-2006, 12:40 PM

These numbers are so far off. They pay approx 3-4% into retirement and they don't pay the 6-7% we pay into Social Security.

Don't talk unless you know what you're talking about. With TPD's new raise they will be making FAR more than us even after health insurance and retirement. But you guys can keep thinking the pay is close if it makes you feel better. In the mean time I'll be trying to rally all of us to get higher wages like our Sheriff said he would give us.

I also know someone who ran their PAT a few weeks ago and he said there were three HCSO deps there who openly said they were road deps. Again, you can ignore this fact if it makes you feel all warm and nice about where you work. The truth is we are now getting SMOKED on pay and everyone needs to do their own research to find out for themselves. TPD will be getting around 9.25 %, 8.75% and 8.75 over three years if you are not a topped out officer. Go to their web site, look up there current salaries and then add these raises to it….and if you still can’t figure it out then you’re too dumb to work here anyways.

12-24-2006, 02:14 PM
[quote="Max Tork":17f0begt]Also, they pay about 20 per cent off the top for retirement while we pay nothing. If a rookie TPD officer starts at $40K, his retirement contribution cuts it down to $32K which is a significant comedown.

These numbers are so far off. They pay approx 3-4% into retirement and they don't pay the 6-7% we pay into Social Security.

Don't talk unless you know what you're talking about. With TPD's new raise they will be making FAR more than us even after health insurance and retirement. But you guys can keep thinking the pay is close if it makes you feel better. In the mean time I'll be trying to rally all of us to get higher wages like our Sheriff said he would give us.

I also know someone who ran their PAT a few weeks ago and he said there were three HCSO deps there who openly said they were road deps. Again, you can ignore this fact if it makes you feel all warm and nice about where you work. The truth is we are now getting SMOKED on pay and everyone needs to do their own research to find out for themselves. TPD will be getting around 9.25 %, 8.75% and 8.75 over three years if you are not a topped out officer. Go to their web site, look up there current salaries and then add these raises to it….and if you still can’t figure it out then you’re too dumb to work here anyways.[/quote:17f0begt]

Standing with my hands clapping................BRAVO

12-24-2006, 04:35 PM
For the last several years after 9-11 TPD was paying almost 13 % into their pension, the average payment deduction for 10 year patrol officer was close to 350 per pay check. Sgt's and Lt's were paying almost 460 PER PAY CHECK The % was lowered this year and now the payment is reasonable it's approx 150 per paycheck. Social Security payment we make, means we will get some benifiets when we reach 63+, and our pension cost us -0$-. TPD gets nothing on Social Security. The positive side is a TPD officer can retire after 20 years and immediatley start drawing his/her pension regardless of age or do 5 years in drop. So please stop spewing hate about our agency and get involved with the PBA to help fix things. We are a very good agency that has issues but when you look around no place is perfect and actually we are one of the best. One of the biggest problem we should focus on is increasing our dep/per 1000 population ratio it's very low we are at 1.4 and TPD is at 3.2 national average is I think around 2.2 so if you want to complain there somthing worth while.

Good Luck and Stay Safe

Harry Callahan :)

12-24-2006, 05:01 PM
NO one have metioned the FACT that Mayor PAM Iorio backed her law enforcement officers publically in the paper. HOW COME NO ONE FROM THE S.O. IS DOING THE SAME FOR US. In todays paper, Our Leader thinks our UNION is asking for to much. HIGHEST PAID WE WILL NEVER REACH

12-24-2006, 05:42 PM
According to the staff,we are way overpaid anyway.......theyd never back us for anything,they are too self-important.

12-24-2006, 09:45 PM
According to the staff,we are way overpaid anyway.......theyd never back us for anything,they are too self-important.
But his staff can be the highest paid not opnlu in the area, or the State, but the whole country :shock: :shock: :shock:

12-24-2006, 10:01 PM
What is the pay for you staff, I know the Sheriff is set by population but what is the pay for Captains and Majors?

12-24-2006, 10:21 PM
The "TPD pays a fortune of thier pay into their pension" scare tatic is getting old. Its A farse. In the last 20 years they have averaged a contribution rate of less than 6%. Post 911 they had 1 year they paid 12.15%. Everyone has used that year to justify we are paid the same. we are not.

Now, consider this. A TPD officer does not contribute to social security. We do. Look at your check you will see 7% gone off the top for social security. SO unless TPD is paying more than 7% into their pension that year, they are netting more cash. Look at the last 20 years, it rarely happens.

I know, TPd will not get social security when they are 65. Would you rather invest your money yourself or let the goverment decide how much you get back and wait 30 years for social security.

What do I mean, over the last 20 years TPD has only paid more for thier pension than we have social securiy twice. So for example this year they are paying 2.05% of thier pay inot thier pension, last year it was 1.15%. Not the crazy scary number everyone wants to use for one 12 month period in 20 years after 911.

So If paid 7% into social security and they paid 2.05% into thier pension, they have 4.95% more of thier pay to invest in a 401K. They year before 5.85%. over a 20 year career that is alot of money and a much better investment than social secutity. 18 out of 20 years of that, who came out on top.

Now consider 10/2007 the pay gap goes to 18.1%, add in the social security we pay of 7% now your 25.1% behind looking at a net. Feel free to deduct their pension rate of 2.05% from that if it makes you feel better. Any if you use the worse rate they ever had in 20 years (12.15)its still going to be a big gap.

The pension farse Its just smoke in mirrors. We lag in pay, no shift diff, no master shooter, no safe driver pay, a 1/3 of their longivity, no holiday buy out, No 13th check, etc,

Someome said" they have to beg us to use or ranger and pay alot for it" Well I don't think TPD officers see that deduction on thier check. The city pays that not them so it has nothing to do with pay. I'm sure no one has came to work here because they admired the range.

Bottom line you can't leave here, you have your pension and life invested. Who wants to start over at the 1/2 mark. Don't get lost in smoke. Say you want to get paid what others are for the same job. Dont settle just for a cow pasture with shotting targets.

12-24-2006, 10:42 PM
Pay gaps not only hurt while you are working, they also hurt after you retiree. Based on current top salaries, $69,014.00 (TPD 3.15) and $61,042.80 (HCSO 3.0) a Tampa Cop would make $8,566.50 more a year in retirement after a 25 year career. (TPD annual pension $54,348.00 Vs. HCSO $45,781.50)

12-25-2006, 12:56 AM
For the last several years after 9-11 TPD was paying almost 13 % into their pension, the average payment deduction for 10 year patrol officer was close to 350 per pay check. Sgt's and Lt's were paying almost 460 PER PAY CHECK The % was lowered this year and now the payment is reasonable it's approx 150 per paycheck. Social Security payment we make, means we will get some benifiets when we reach 63+, and our pension cost us -0$-. TPD gets nothing on Social Security. The positive side is a TPD officer can retire after 20 years and immediatley start drawing his/her pension regardless of age or do 5 years in drop. So please stop spewing hate about our agency and get involved with the PBA to help fix things. We are a very good agency that has issues but when you look around no place is perfect and actually we are one of the best. One of the biggest problem we should focus on is increasing our dep/per 1000 population ratio it's very low we are at 1.4 and TPD is at 3.2 national average is I think around 2.2 so if you want to complain there somthing worth while.

Good Luck and Stay Safe

Harry Callahan :)

No one is spewing hate about our agency! What are you talking about Harry? I just want deps to wake up and realize we are getting blown away by TPd's pay. This is the 2nd year they're paying a retirement contribution lower than 4%. Again, know what you are talking if you're going to talk. Social Security? Are you really depending on getting any money from Social Secuirty? Wow that's a laugh....okay come on be serious. Where do you get a $150.00 a paycheck for TPD's contribution. At 3.5% a check you would have to gross $112,000.00 a year to have a $150.00 deduction a paycheck. Harry, please if you're going to talk about this subject, start making some sense because you are making your self out to be an idiot. You're one of those people who are actually doing more bad for the situation than good. I appreciate your efforst, but please DO YOUR RESEARCH!

12-25-2006, 04:42 AM
Well Sheriff, it is time for you to come to grips with the facts and get out of the cowboy days of old and stop paying your deputies like it was the 1800's. You told them you wanted a quality, professional force. Many are trying to help you reach this goal by going back to school to further their education. Now it is you that must help by getting a better applicant and keep the good depuites we have. You can start by standing up for your deputies and try getting better bennies and pay. We don't have to keep up with TPD, but at least try to be competive and show your employees you care. You rewarded your staff with some of the highest pay in the nation. You said they were the best. I saw it was the street deputies and your detectives that made them look so good, so why not a reward for them also........or do you just help out those close to you at the top?

01-01-2007, 03:08 AM
This proves my original reason to post this topic...this post is already dead. Fellow deps where are you? Does anyone care about are pay and benefits?