PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Clearwater- Neighborhood Question

12-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Hello,
I am moving to Clearwater from new england in mid january and am about to sign a lease on a place and was hoping someone could let me know what the neighborhood is like. It is located on Sadlon Ave off of Woodlawn St.. Thanks in advance for any info.

12-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Might want to go to Policeone.com and check the crime stats before signing that lease. You can do it by Zip Code 33756.

12-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Cant find that link anywhere on policeone, what is it under?

MOD 22
12-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Try Countryside

12-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Is there where you live?

Kinda expensive on a cops salary, sadly. :cry: I'd move there if we could afford it. It's getting difficult to live in Pinellas County, period.

12-19-2006, 01:36 AM
I would not live off of woodlawn even if the rent was free. If you can't afford Countryside, Morningside or Northwood look outside the city

12-19-2006, 02:46 AM
is there a reason why?

12-19-2006, 03:25 AM
Do some research on the location. You asked if we would move in there and the reply was no. Enough said. We don't know who you are so this answer if good enough for the time being.

12-19-2006, 04:16 AM
No i actually didnt ask if you would move there, I asked for info about the neighborhood and have yet to recieve any other than "I would live in coutryside" or another city.... Is there private info or something about the area that is so classified you cant talk about, or are you just choosing to not be helpful?

12-19-2006, 05:08 AM
No one is going to be stupid enough to give reasons why you shouldn't move into a particular area. In the real estate business it's called 'red lining' and in that business, its illegal. In the police business, and even on this web site, everyone knows things can be traced - therefore, for anyone to make a statement about a particular area's neighborhood would be career suicide by message board.

I'm sure CPD could offer you crime stat information for any neighborhood you are looking to move into, and you could make up your own mind with the public information provided. You won't find it here, I'm sorry.

I wouldn't come into an area and accuse people of 'not being helpful' - nothing states cops have to give directions, information, tourist info via a message board. That wasn't very nice. With that attitude, no one would point you in the direction of the beach if they were standing right in front of it. Loose the tude' and live where you want.

12-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Well, not all of us Clearwater cops live in Countryside or Morningside. (or Pasco Co) There are many neighborhoods thoughout the city that I considered buying in. Actually we live near several deputies and Largo officers, too.

My advice is to make a trip down and look around. Go to the PD and look up the neighborhoods you are interested in. If you can't come down, just stay at an extended stay hotel for a week or two until you get a feel for the area. This way you aren't stuck in a lease, long term.

JAFO
12-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Good points city folk.

It’s just common sense. There are a number of areas in the city I would feel comfortable in but since I’m not you, I can’t speak on your behalf. I’m not familiar with your likes and dislikes, your personal priorities and life style. What you want in a neighborhood and what you don’t. Like I said before, if you are serious do some research on the matter, just as you would anywhere else.

There are good and decent people all over Clearwater and in this area but it only takes a few bad apples to upset the apple cart.

Enough said. If you are still remain defensive and continue to ask the same question(s) then you are barking up the wrong tree as everyone gave you HONEST ANSWERS. Do your own research, this is not a public real estate forum nor was intended to be. If you were already a real or a retired police officer you would already understand our responses.

Have a nice day.

12-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Thank you city folk. Sorry I got defensive, but it seemed like that other person was purposely being rude and not giving me any info because of his lack of explaination and shortness. Im not looking for specific stats or names of people who have been murdered, I simply wanted to know information such as neighborhood quality of living and if it is a "known" trouble area. The same thing I would ask any person who lives in Clearwater but don't know anyone from there so I used this board figuring Police Officers would be very straight with me. Statistics only show you so much, I just wanted a person familiar with the areas opinion, not wanting you to lose your job over it. So I apologize if I insulted anyone.

12-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Hey, it's OK. :D

One question, WHY would you move here? LOL I'm serious, when I retire it's somewhere quiet, peaceful and cooler.

Enjoy, though. We do have gorgeous beaches.

Merry Christmas, too! :D

12-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Im moving down there to start a career in law enforcement believe it or not- with a different city ( I would have loved to work for clearwater but scientologists weird me out) and the city Im going to be working for is too expensive to live in.

JAFO
12-19-2006, 09:26 PM
If you are going to be working in this area, consider renting first for a short time and that should give you the opportunity to really check out the area then make your land / home purchase. Do a couple of ride-alongs with various police agencies and then ask your questions if you want straight answers. Don’t limit yourself to one single location to choose from and be flexible in your search.

Remember, some agencies require that you live within their boundaries if you want a take home car. Agency programs change as time goes by and take home vehicles often depend on assignments too so again, be flexible and don’t limit your possibilities. There are a number of excellent agencies in the area, find one that fits you best.

12-20-2006, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the advice, we ended up signing the lease at the clearwater location just because of price and the street itself seems to be a decent place. But I took the advice and am on a monthly lease so I can live there for a month and terminate if I would like. I actually already got hired in Florida, my choices were somewhat limited due to the few amount of agencies willing to sponsor those with a bachelors degree, but Im hoping I'll like the department, if not its only a 2 year contract...

02-24-2007, 04:57 AM
North Greenwood, it's the shizzel my nizzy.