PDA

View Full Version : Working there

12-15-2006, 01:05 PM
How is it working for Largo? Please be honest. Thank you.

12-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Well, let's tackle that question before you get bombarded with negative posts. Largo is a lot like other agencies. It has its good points and its bad points all depending upon what you want in an agency. No, its not as big as the SO, but we are a moderate sized agency and growing.

What exactly are you looking for in an agency? And please, when you read any of the other posts to your question remember it's from the viewpoint of an officer with prior experiences here, good and bad.

12-24-2006, 04:56 AM
Wow! From the sounds of it NOTHING has changed at the Largo Police Department since I left over 6 years ago now. So sad for the many good friends I once had there... Most of which left to other agencies where they could at least retain the hope of a future. It IS true theat Largo PD does dirty up your personnel file right about the time your contract for training reinbursement expires.. Not enough that they would have to fire you... just enough that any agency outside the Tampa Bay area not familiar wouldn't want to touch you. Soo happy I left wheb I did. I actually heard they filed an IA againt me and had to drop it when they realised that I has on leave when the incident was supposed to have occured. I resigned when I returned from that vacation and they never got a second chance.

12-27-2006, 12:28 AM
Largo has the worst reputation, besides st pete, in the area. If you ask around even outside the bay area, you will hear the same thing.

12-27-2006, 12:31 AM
Lpd is the only agency that refuses to use ten codes and signals, so when we work together they have no clue. They are also the only agency not on the same radio system as the, pcso,pppd cpd and st pete. They dont know the word teamwork.

12-27-2006, 05:40 AM
officers, what do you have to say about these posts?

12-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Actually, we don't use 10 codes because it is just easier to use plain english. We are on the same radio as PCSO, St. Pete et al. It is clearwater who is on the other system. As far as gear goes, we are comperable with any other agency in the area (finally!) Computers, rifles, very good hand guns. We are a smaller agency though. If you want a large variety of special units go to a bigger agency. That should be common sense. Depsite what you read from non-lpd personell, morale is pretty good here. There are some that are not happy but that is true of any department. I am sorry that the last three (?) posters had negative experiences with us, but we have moved on with our lives, they should move on with theirs.

12-27-2006, 04:28 PM
THANK YOU so much for responding. Any other LPD officers out there?

12-28-2006, 02:18 AM
The second post is from Chad Jam___. There is a post explaining his role in giving LPD a bad name. Ask him if he has a job in law enforcement...the answer is no.

The folks that have negative things to say about the PD have left for a variety of reasons. For those that left because they were disciplined, maybe you should have held yourselves to a higher standard and not have gotten in trouble. Others left for specialty units...I can see that, but you won't see traffic, K9, SWAT, etc. for many years at the SO and when there is an assessment you have 30 guys going out for it as opposed to 3 or 4 at LPD. Granted, there are more spots available....there are benefits at both agencies.

LPD is doing just fine. There is no "ultimate" agency. Everyone has their own problems. We all have a shared problem. This board. If you want to know how this agency is doing, find a LPD guy on the street, at the jail while dropping off a bad guy, or call our recruiter and set up a ride along. This board is full of imposters, idiots, and anonymous disgruntled a__holes. I think this board has done more to drive a wedge between agencies than it has done any good.

If I were a betting man, I'd say whoever started this string was just looking to stir crap up as opposed to being truly interested in how our agency is doing. So if this is true....go back to your own board.

12-29-2006, 02:49 AM
There is a lot of good cops that work for Largo. I liked working there. My only advice to someone starting in law enforcement is consider the place where you and your family have to live. If you like Pinellas County and feel thats the best place to live, and want to work for a moderate sized agency I'd seriously consider Largo. Hope everyone at Largo has had a merry Christmas.