PDA

View Full Version : What's that song from the Wizard of Oz?

12-12-2006, 03:43 AM
PLANTATION -- He was a deeply religious man who defined his life by the teachings of his church. A colorful character whose offbeat fashion sense stirred congregants to laughter on Monday.

To the more than 200 friends, relatives and politicians who attended former Plantation Mayor Frank Veltri's memorial service at St. Gregory Catholic Church on Monday, the recollections brought smiles and a few tears.

He served as the city's mayor for 24 years, until 1999, and was one of several politicians who pioneered the new communities of west Broward. He died Nov. 30 at home, aged 94.

"He always said clothes don't make the man. The man makes the clothes," said his daughter Councilwoman Diane Veltri Bendekovic, as congregants chuckled. "His signature clothes were his khaki pants ... a huge City of Plantation belt buckle, comfortable shoes and Brut cologne."

Bendekovic, who kept the eulogy affectionately light-hearted, recalled how a young man once informed her dignified father the wire frame glasses he wore were "cool."

"He was so pleased to know he was cool," she said as laughter rippled through the church. "We think it was the first and last time he was ever told that."

Monday's service was simple, as Veltri wanted: No viewing, no flowers, a Mass and a few kind words from a family member, Bendevokic.

Firefighters carried Veltri's ashes, in a white urn, into the church and placed them near two white fire helmets Veltri wore when he served as a volunteer firefighter and fire chief.

During the service, Bendekovic remembered her father as a consummate public servant who never let brushes with lung, colon and bladder cancer keep him from serving the city he loved so much. She said he hated being sick, and even used an alias the last time he was hospitalized, mostly so he wouldn't worry his relatives, she said.

Bendekovic called her father a "dreamer" and a "visionary" who never believed the job of mayor was an entitlement. She also described him as a "financial genius" who viewed frugality as a way of life. He was stingy when it came to spending taxpayer dollars and tight with money at home, for all the right reasons, she said.

"Our dad was cheap. Dad did watch his pennies, but he had a caring and generous soul," Bendekovic said. Mitch Ceasar, Broward Democratic Party chairman, said he will remember Veltri for his integrity. And his personal quirks.

"He was really a Southern gentleman. He thought that manners were important and keeping your word," Ceasar said.

For the first 10 years that they knew each other, Veltri reversed his name, calling him "Ceasar Mitch," Ceasar remembered: "I was reluctant to say something, because I didn't want to make him feel bad."

Bendekovic said stories like that make her dad's act an impossible one to follow.

"I can't fill my dad's shoes because he has boots to fill," Bendekovic said after the service. "I can carry the torch as far as the love for the city, but I would be lucky if I could carry a flicker of the flame."

12-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Who else would place this post on a leo site BUT a fireman??? Because there is no love for Veltri from the cops of Plantation...He did nothing but keep us in the dark ages during his reign, and we are still strugling with his daughter placed in a council seat. She is poising herself to be the next mayor and we might not see the light again for another decade if that happens. Its amazing how much she is against her police since her own husband is a retiree, but I guess the volunteers who only stay on average a year or tow until they get real jobs are more important than 20 year+ career officers who keep our streets safe from surrounding areas..

Sleep tight Diane, hope you dont drive at all while slightly intoxicated because the tides are turning on council people-----we have had enough of your elitist crap!!

12-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Who else would place this post on a leo site BUT a fireman??? Because there is no love for Veltri from the cops of Plantation...He did nothing but keep us in the dark ages during his reign, and we are still strugling with his daughter placed in a council seat. She is poising herself to be the next mayor and we might not see the light again for another decade if that happens. Its amazing how much she is against her police since her own husband is a retiree, but I guess the volunteers who only stay on average a year or tow until they get real jobs are more important than 20 year+ career officers who keep our streets safe from surrounding areas..

Sleep tight Diane, hope you dont drive at all while slightly intoxicated because the tides are turning on council people-----we have had enough of your elitist crap!!

Relax Buddy, that was my post, read the subject, you know the song, "Ding dong the wicked witch is dead" dont be so quick to judge someones post. two down one to go!!!

12-14-2006, 02:52 AM
I highly feel that using the death of politician, that for the most part kept his nose clean, just because he did not kiss the police ass is cowardly. Don't bash anyones death or their family it only makes you look bad.

12-14-2006, 06:05 AM
I highly feel that using the death of politician, that for the most part kept his nose clean, just because he did not kiss the police arse is cowardly. Don't bash anyones death or their family it only makes you look bad.
What ever!

12-16-2006, 03:09 PM
I highly feel that using the death of politician, that for the most part kept his nose clean, just because he did not kiss the police arse is cowardly. Don't bash anyones death or their family it only makes you look bad.

Obviously submitted by someone who has absolutely no clue as to the historic relationship between the (former) Mayor and the P.D. So I guess that means that it was O.K. to treat the people who protect the citizens of your city like crap as long as you had a clean nose. If you want to be remembered fondly in your death, think about how you treat people when you're alive.

12-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Obviously submitted by someone who has absolutely no clue as to the historic relationship between the (former) Mayor and the P.D. So I guess that means that it was O.K. to treat the people who protect the citizens of your city like crap as long as you had a clean nose. If you want to be remembered fondly in your death, think about how you treat people when you're alive.[/quote]

You got a point there my friend.

12-16-2006, 10:26 PM

You're high, alright !! I guess he wanted to use that unearned money he took when he left office to keep his nose clean. HA!!!!